quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Needing new motivation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 11:32 AM    Post subject: Needing new motivation Reply with quote

I originally quit smoking in Dec. 2004 because of health issues and my desire to live a lot longer than I would if I remained a smoker. I was very motivated my entire first year to exercise and watch my diet. In doing so, I was able to bring my very high blood pressure and cholesterol back to normal.

Now my blood pressure is back up. I attribute it to two things: I went 12 weeks without exercise after foot surgery and I've misplaced my ability to control what I eat. I know what I need to do...I need to go back to my obsessive exercising and food-watching that I did last year. But it seems like such a chore now. I'm doing lots of things in my life...I work full time, I travel a lot with my job, I tutor one night a week, and I go to school one night a week. On the weekends and the days I don't have to do something after work, I just want to go home and piddle around.

I have signed up for a 5k breast cancer walk next weekend, thinking it would motivate me to build up my stamina, and I just don't think I'm ready. I also want to do the 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, but even that isn't exciting me much. I'm going on a week-long trip to Mexico which will include a lot of walking and other adventure, and I need to build up my stamina for that, as well.

I also decided a few days ago that I have an absolute horrid addiction to sugar. Twice this week there were cakes in our office, and I couldn't eat just one piece. I ate two pieces both days. I can't bypass the candy jar either.

So why can't I get myself going? Do I need to go cold turkey with the sugar? What's going on with me? I don't normally call out for help, so I do appreciate any help or thoughts.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
RiverdaleMan

Quit Date:
February 17, 2006

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 2:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty.

If I may. So nice to see you here.
Here are a few thoughts concerning your post.
Sounds to me like you need to rekindle the flame of passion. What had you so willing to live life more fully? What sparked your original desire to quit smoking and get healthy?

Yes, lack of physical activity can bring you to a place where you are "depressed", just a thought but go out, get active again in a physical way. Just being outside and being physically active can do wonders. Find a way to refocus on what is pleasurable for you in the walks and the runs that you have signed up for. Find the pleasure of the adventure in Mexico.

Yes, Yes! Diet or the control of what we put into our systems can radically shift how we "feel". Sometimes different food intake can lead to a feeling of malaise and just being down. I know for me if I eat too much sugar or food that converts to sugar I can never get out from under the "downer" that I find myself in. Perhaps a controllled dietary cleanse. You have been reading Andrew Weil , he can be of great help. Find what you like to eat and that you feel good about eating and let your self be fed.

Sorry to go on for so long and I hope that what I have relayed to you is of help. So glad to see you here. I know you will find your way through.

P
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 4:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see what's been going on:

You haven't exercised in 12 weeks because of foot surgery.
You've probably spent more time inside, in a reduced light environment.
Sitting around more, you've probably been bored.
Being bored, you may have turned to eating as a distraction.
Most common snack foods are either sugar laden, or turn to sugar in you.
The snacking may have depressed your appetite and your intake of healthy food has been reduced.

All of the above equal depression, Rusty. The first thing you need to do is get outside (into the light) and start exercising. I don't know that you need to go CT on sugar, but you should cut back on it. Start with the blatant ones like the candy and cake. I think that once you do those two things, you'll start recovering and the rest will come on it's own.

Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 6:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Shevie and Phillip. I am ruminating on your comments. I think you're both right.

What flamed my passion before? It was fear. Fear that I was going to die too soon to do all the things I want to do in my life. Well, I don't think I want to revert to that emotion to motivate myself. I'll have to think a little harder on that one.

Light. Both of you hit on that. It is true that I've spent an inordinate amount of time inside lately. I think I will try to do one thing outdoors each day this week. At work I can go for a walk during two 15 minute breaks. Tomorrow is my study day, but I can go for a walk at some point during the day. Today I spent some time outside, but it was trying to scrape oozing sap off the steps of my porch, and it was more frustrating than enjoyable. I'll do better tomorrow.

I hadn't thought about sugar contributing to my depression, but it sure makes sense. Thanks for reminding me about Weil, Phillip. I also need to re-read the Sonoma Diet, which is a much healthier one than I've been on.

It has helped me a lot just to write this down. Thank you both so much. I'll try these things.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
RiverdaleMan

Quit Date:
February 17, 2006

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 7:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Rusty I am so glad to be able to speak openly about diet, depression and getting through.

For me so much is in the parts that are the excitement and not the fear. The reasons why I wanted to live ... travel, build my business, be of service, be with my partner, ... all the great things about life and living.

Coming into this quit I had been faced with a lot that had to do with death. My own mortality and the actual death and mortality of those in my family and around me. If I focused on the sad parts I would simply be paralized with fear and not brimming with delight at what I had to live for.

Thumbs up and I know you will find your way through.

Phillip
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 8:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty.

You are my mentor in the quit, the exercise, and the diet. I have my quit now and even more exercise and never did get a firm graps on the diet. You know it is deep inside of you. Believe in yourself and don't tell yourself that you aren't motivated because you are. You are what you think.

Remember how awesome you felt last year after that turkey walk? You were so proud! You can do it again. To get motivated, just begin. I'm sure it will all come back to you.

The surgery seems to have taken alot out of you. I'm not sure what all is going on with you but you know that you are surrounded by good friends that will listen if you just reach out. We all have our moments. You are entitled as well.

I can't wait to hear that excitement from you again. How about going for a walk?

Love you lots.

Lady

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2006 8:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady, thank you. You have said things that I needed to hear. I can't begin to tell you how hard it is for me to call out for help. I also can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your words and your friendship, especially after I have been so remote.

Thank you, my dear friends.

Rusty

Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: September 25, 2006 12:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what else to add as far as words go.

But one of these:

always helps me.

Fondly,
Free

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 25, 2006 9:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the October 2006 More magazine. When I read it, I totally had an aha moment.

When women get to a point where they cannot tolerate their situation, they will change it. If they don't, it's because it doesn't hurt enough to battle the fear of failure.

I think this applies to men or women.

Sending you good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 4:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking in Rusty to see if you are feeling maybe just a little more motivated? Hope so....

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 8:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lady, for checking in. It is incredibly amazing what a walk will do for you! I took your advice and walked 2 miles on Sunday, and 2.5 miles today after work. The endorphins just shoot up there, don't they?

And, Phillip, I've been trying to practice your advice to focus on the pleasure. It really helps a lot!

I'm moving up, my dear ones.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

Love you guys!

Rusty

shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 8:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Rusty. Smile

Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 8:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shevie, you spelled it out for me in clear and simple terms. Thank you so much.

Rusty Very Happy

RiverdaleMan

Quit Date:
February 17, 2006

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 9:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Big Hugs. Glad that walking and light and pleasure help.
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 9:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Rusty! I'm so glad to hear it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: