quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I can't believe it!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2006 5:25 PM    Post subject: I can't believe it!!! Reply with quote

I started the day very excited...my new refrigerator was being delivered...at long last!

I was busy emptying out the old one, coolers everywhere...pulled the old one out and cleaned behind and under so the space was ready for the brand spanking new one - with ice and water in the door!

The driver called for directions...pulled up, unloaded the new one from the truck - got it on the back porch. Put the old one outside for my landlord to take away - I had cleaned it after I emptied it. And......guess what - the new one will NOT fit through the door. Ok......we'll take the door off the hinges....we'd already taken the door closer off the storm door...the door frame won't allow the hinge pins to come out.. ....call the landlord.... UGH!! Delivery can't wait for him to get there...and now its raining....my refrigerator went back on the truck and the old one is back in place....

This is the THIRD Saturday I've anticipated a new refrigerator - I bought it 8/26 - to be delivered on 9/9/06. Went back to the store on 8/27 and changed models since the one I selected on 8/26 was too big for the space. Come 9/8 - got a call - my fridge is not available - manufacturer's delay. Rescheduled for 9/23 - couldn't take delivery on 9/16 because of reserve drill weekend. Got a call on 9/22 - still not available - manufacturer's delay. Back to the store and select a different model - which is available - deliver on 9/30!!

This is definitely not working out as well as I'd hoped! The refrigerator is my 100 pound weight loss reward...now do I get a smaller model or try to work with my landlord to overcome the door hinge issue?? I really want the ice and water in the door....UGH!!! Needless to say old Laughing Demon came around and I was just so mad and sad and upset and frustrated...I'd almost decided to throw away my "emergency" pack of cigarettes that's been in the freezer since I quit...I put them back in the freezer - the OLD freezer....mostly as a reminder that life will always find a way to challenge me and vigilance must be my watchword. I must remember that each and every time it comes down to my CHOICE...trash a beautiful quit and return to polluting lungs that work really well when I'm running?? Nah...I don't think so....but just in case...that pack is there... The pack itself is harmless and powerless – but if it wasn‘t there I wouldn’t have a choice -its in the freezer with all of my reasons for quitting and its been joined by a Snicker's bar...just in case I have a chocolate candy fit.....just as harmless and powerless – because I plan to continue to CHOOSE freedom and health!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2006 6:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

erggghhhhh. What a frustration...I feel for you. But I know and you know that smoking would not move that door frame one single inch. So that's that. What's the next step? Is the landlord going to make things right or are you going to have to pick out yet another fridge? Stay tuned for the next episode of MARY DUDE! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2006 8:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{{Mary}}}

I feel for you. At least you chose not to smoke and the snickers bar would be a whole better than the cigs.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2006 9:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, Mary, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, hope you get a new frige in there soon, one with water and ice. Stay strong and choose the candy bar if you much choose something.

Hugs

Essie
4/14/04
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2006 10:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary here I thought you were going to gain the 100lbs back just for spite and instead you choose HEALTH.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 6:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,,, I would think that you will be getting your new refrigerator this week..BECAUSE you have passed every test!!! My goodness Mary, seems like a black cloud was just hanging above your house. Well its, gone now Wink

I am very proud of you for NOT smoking and NOT eating that candy bar. You have great discipline and you care about yourself. And you should, you are a very nice person.

Hopefully, the next episode will be telling us how you are enjoying playing with the icemachine on the refrigerator Laughing

God Bless

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 8:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Get a slightly smaller model, but you can get one with auto icemaker and Ice water INSIDE the fridge instead of in the door.
2) Use the extra money to buy shoes (or cute boots in Alison's case)
3) Let the emergecy cigs go with the old freezer....you don't need them any more.
4)

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 8:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mary, take a deep breath girl. Embarassed I hope you get your new fridge soon. You definately passed the nic test................you didn't smoke, WTG. Very Happy Very Happy

I agree with Pamela, let that pack of cigs go with the old fridge and then stock up on the candy bars. Laughing Laughing

Deb
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 3:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man.. refridgerator stories.... I bought a new fridge about six months ago (I LOVE IT!) The old one was "apartment" sized - very small and old - not energy efficient and sort of this yellowed color. It was a unique size, however - something like 50" tall - which you really can't find these days.

When shopping for the new fridge, I ran into this woman in Home Depot who was looking for smallish fridges. I told her about the one I had that I was replacing and told her that I'm moving it into my carport - it worked the last time it was plugged in - and that she's welcomed to it (for free) given it is this unique size and she's looking for something small. She was buying it for an apartment she owned that she was renting out, so she didn't care that it wasn't attractive - it was merely for a tenant afterall.

She says she wants the fridge - or she'll come by and look at it - but then I don't hear from her again. No harm done, it's sitting in the carport as an eyesore, but when I finally decide on the new fridge, I know Sears will take it away for free - so whatever, right?

Months and month go by and I get a call from this woman - she says she was driving through my town and happened to drive by my house and saw that the fridge was still in the carport - could she still have it. I again tell her that she can, I tell her it's been sitting out there for months now, that it worked the last time it was plugged in, but/and it's hers for the taking.

She sends some people over to pick up the fridge. I come home from work one day and it's simply gone. Great!

I finally decide on the new fridge and I'm happy as clam when Sears comes to drop it off. They offer to take away old appliances, but of course I have none. The new one is fabulous!

I go back out into the carport later that same afternoon and the OLD fridge is back in the middle of the carport, this time totally banged up (like it's been dropped several times), dented, and there's a totally nasty psycho note on the fridge about how it doesn't work and she's paid for the damn thing to be moved to Novato and she's not paying to take it to the dump, blah, blah, blah. She said she plugged it in and nothing - it didn't/doesn't work - not a sound - and how I'm evil incarnate.

So this crazy psycho lady didn't bother to try plugging it in before she took it out of the carport (when it didn't have dents in it) - despite the fact that I had an extension chord and a plug sitting right next to it - plugged into a power source (would have taken her two seconds to see if it was working before she hauled it away.) Second, probably the guys she paid to move it thrashed and broke it in their indelicate move. Thirdly, I know how much it costs to pay someone to move things from Novato to where I live and I also know that 1) Sears would have hauled the thing off for free 2) it only cost $15 for me to have the trash service pick up the appliance with the other trash. She probably paid about $100 for the round trip when she could have paid $15 for the dump (hurt me?) And she wrote this nasty psycho letter as though I forced her to take this free thing from me. (After not hearing from her for months and months I'd totally forgot about her - SHE contacted ME.)

At the time I felt a bit rageful at the craziness of the situation - the trouble she went to to write this really nasty note and the additional $$ and effort she put into being psycho - was worrisome. I think, in the end, however, it became part of the enriching story of the new fridge - sort of part of it's "wabi sabi" - and now it's all good.

We had to do some finessing to get the new fridge in the door. It's the kind with the freezer on the bottom in a pull out drawer (I love that.. very convenient!)

Good luck with it.. when the right one finally arrives, you'll appreciate it all the more for the effort it took to get it there!

-Zuzu
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 8:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

These refrigerator stories are incredible!!!! Shocked

I hope you get the right one, Mary...sounds like you have to build the house around the refrigerator Laughing

And of course....smoking will NEVER get that thing through the door. Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 1, 2006 9:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refrigerator saga continues....I was back in the store AGAIN - and the sales team is calling the delivery team tomorrow and pointing out to them - that the refrigerator's door could have been removed to make it fit through the house door. I've been dealing with a wonderful young lady who couldn't believe my story - at least she didn't run and hide when she saw me coming. We are trying again next Saturday. I'm planning on working with my landlord to be prepared to remove the house door as well if that is necessary. He's been promising to install the kit to be ready for the water hook up for the ice maker and filtered water. And I'll confirm with him that he will take the old fridge - I don't think I'll try to give it away after your story Zuzu. It runs works - but the interior light doesn't work and its old and not energy efficient....the compressor makes funny noises now and then.

The more I think about it...I think that the "emergency" pack will go away with the fridge....but not until the new one is in place! My sister will be visiting next weekend - so I'll have some help! I'm not good about throwing things away!

Mary D.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 2, 2006 9:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you are smoke free and things are working out. Sending you good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 2, 2006 6:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary. mary. . . .i'm so sorry you're in the midst of the regrigerator wars. . . honestly my first thought was i'll bet you have the cleanest refrigerator in town. . . Laughing hope it works out for you. . . soon! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 7, 2006 10:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the next installment of "The Refrigerator Saga".......Another attempt was made today...yes...I said "attempt".... I still do NOT have a new fridge!

Early in the day - delivery window between 8 and 10 am.....I again have the fridge and freezer empty...Everything packed into coolers...truck arrives...unload the new fridge, move the old one out, take the door off of the house...bring new fridge through the door...set it down and go to slide it into the space....IT IS TOO WIDE!!! BY NEARLY THREE (3) INCHES!!! It will not fit between the counter and the wall...NOT the fridge I thought I ordered. Yes - I'd initially selected a fridge that was 35 1/2 inches wide...but had measured and had gone back and changed to a smaller one that was under 32 inches wide and would fit the space I have available. It appears that the WRONG MODEL was ordered and delivered!!! There was a one number difference in the model numbers...OOPPS...so once again..the fridge went back out of the house, the old one was put back and coolers unpacked....ARGGH!!!!! I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!
As I was looking at the receipt - I should have looked more carefully last week - If I had been paying attention to the details, I think I would have realized it wasn't the right fridge... It was clear to me today....
Anyway....I was on the phone with the store again!!! I'm taking the next available delivery...of the RIGHT model even if I have to use vacation time to be home for the delivery! I'll keep ya posted!

Mary D.

Last edited by Mary Dude on October 8, 2006 6:58 PM; edited 1 time in total
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 7, 2006 10:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! This is like reading a novel.....and I am waiting for that happy ending, which I do believe WILL HAPPEN!! Cool Very Happy

Sorry you are having so much trouble with this, Mary! It has given me a whole new perspecitive on renting.....since I don't have to contend with that. BUT.....when I got my new fridge here, the landlord had to reinforce the floor with some pieces of metal underneath the fridge. ANd they took the door off the fridge to get it inside the apartment, then put it back on wrong, so it did not close right, but eventually it all got straightened out.

In my case, this was just to have a working fridge.....boy! you will have all that neat stuff, the ice-maker and all! Very Happy Very Happy

You worked for it, you deserve it, and you will have it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: