quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smoking Work Place - Bah Humbug!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 11:25 AM    Post subject: Smoking Work Place - Bah Humbug! Reply with quote

Just one more day of my being determined to be well and stay well! I have worked at my job for 25 years and I am now the only female non-smoker. Thank goodness I have my own office but it is still hard some days being the outcast. They smoke together on their breaks - so I will just get on here with you guys, OK?
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 11:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works Idream. You may want to go for a walk during your breaks or read. Find something to replace the smoking time. I sucked on peppermints each time I thought of smoking and it really got me through.

They aren't smoking inside are they? I didn't think anywhere allowed that anymore.

You are doing great Smile

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 12:10 PM    Post subject: Thanks for the moral support Lady! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the support - yes they can smoke inside in designated areas. I work for a privately owned corporation so it is allowed. I do take walks on my breaks on some days but sometimes it is just too cold outside for my old bones. I did work out for 45 minutes before work so that helped. I just mainly get tired of being treated like I am the sick one by the smokers. Last time I quit I made it for a year and they all know that I am a Lifetime quitter this time....so perhaps they are just trying to be helpful by avoiding conversation with me on their breaks. I am trying to stay positive in all areas and your support can help me do just that!
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 12:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take one step at a time and don't forget to take deep breaths. If you were quit for a year then you know what it takes. N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever! You can do this!

I have a hard time with smokers myself now but remind myself that I was once where they are. We are all addicts. They probably envy your ability to quit and don't know what to say. Don't let it get the best of you.

Hold your head high and be proud! You are a non-smoker!

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 1:05 PM    Post subject: Do what you can Reply with quote

I hear that. My biggest concern after we quit (my husband and I) was when we got with old friends who still smoke. I was so afraid being around them smoking would make me want to start again that I put off seeing any of my smoking friends for several weeks. It may have been extra worry on my part but it was better to be safe than sorry. Then when I finally did hang aournd with people still smoking the only thing I noticed was I do still like to smell it for some odd reason but it doesn't make me want one in fact it does the opposite I look at people smoking and think wow I used to look like that to non smokers -Wink and I am embarrassed but so happy that we quit. It is almost 3 months and I am feeling so good. Lungs clearing nicely and no wheezing like an old geezer .....

You'll get more comfortable with smokers just like you'll get more comfortable not smoking. Time is what it takes. But now that you don't smoke you got all kinds of time, added lifetime especially... so just do what you can and realize that no matter what anyone else is doing - you don't have to smoke..... now that's awesome! And realize this - the reason smokers are not as comfortable with you is likely because many of them wish they could quit but don't think they can -Wink

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 6:41 PM    Post subject: Texas2step and Lady - YOU ROCK! Reply with quote

Thanks for making my first rant and intro so easy. I am on the shy side at first most usually! You both have good wisdom in the matter at hand and it really helped me today. I only have computer access at work right now so my time is limited and is okay with my owners. Catch you tomorrow - going home is easy - no smokers there!
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 8, 2006 8:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right...!!

This is where you come to when you need that extra boost. We're here to help you and get you through the rough spots.

And though it may seem you're an "outcast", perhaps you could think of yourself as a "crusader" for non-smokers! Perhaps you'll have followers! Very Happy

J

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 9:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months into my quit and I had the opportunity to hang with one of my former smoking buddys that I had worked with. I actually found the experience rather liberating. Standing next to him, while he smoked and we chatted affirmed my belief that I will never smoke again.

Now, I just can't stand to be around smokers because of the disgusting smell. I was shopping yesterday and a woman came into the store reeking of smoke. YUCK!!!

We are all here for you, Idream. Cheers to you and your quit!!! Cool Cool Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the early days of my quit i avoided smokers and places where people smoked liked the plague. i didn't feel strong enough to be around smoking as it was just too easy to ask someone for one. . .however, i didn't want to isolate myself from the people who smoked either because a lot of business was discussed and decided by the people outside on those smoke breaks. also, i love to country and western dance and the only place to do that in these parts is a bar. about three months into my quit i rejoined those outside on their smoke breaks and headed back to the bars to dance. . .at first it was very tempting, and i have to admit, just a little awkward. . .the smokers knew i was quit and weren't quite sure what to make of me. . . we all relaxed with practice and most have now forgotten i was ever a smoker. . .i absolutely refuse to limit myself and my activities because i once smoked. to me that's saying that the nicodemon still has control of me. . . he doesn't, you know. i won. . . Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 10:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first month I avoided smokers. Now I can hang around smokers and it is no problem for me. It doesn't make me want a cigarette. In fact, it does quite the opposite. It reinforces my quit. I do not however like being in enclosed spaces with smokers anymore. I didn't quit to still have to inhale that poison.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 5:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idream,

At school I use to sit alone inside on breaks because everyone else smokes. I can relate to the feeling you described.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: