quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tightness in chest today....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 6:04 PM    Post subject: Tightness in chest today.... Reply with quote

HI all: I sure hope I am doing this all in correct order. I read the guide and if I do it wrong someone clue me in. Today I am having the tightness in the chest again. At first this scared me a lot but then my Doctor said one of the meds I am on will cause this sometimes. I am on Spiriva once daily and that is one of its side effects. I am also on Advair twice a day when needed but today I did not need it upon arising . I am also a little sad today and have no reason to be so I am just going to stay positive about it. A month ago I was in the hosptial for four days due to asthma and smoking and today a month smoke free I was able to ride my stationery bike for 20 minutes this morning. BUT I still feel like I am struggling with every issue......but then I am so proud.....darn this roller coaster..........I had forgot this part being so strong when I quit last time - I will NEVER set myself up to have to go through this again. Waste of my precious time and now I am stronger and smarter and feel my self worth as a real part of me. Idream of me continuing to grow in this way and hope the same for all of you!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 6:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of poeple experience weird things with their chest when they quit; your lungs are trying to clean themselves out and remember how to work again without the gunk. just take it easy and keep your doc informed if it starts to feel worse.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 8:53 PM    Post subject: yes that's true Reply with quote

Kevin is right, you just have to keep a watch and talk to your doctor if you get concerned. Gads my body did weird things to me and my brain too. But after feeding it tons of nicotine and other chemicals for almost 40 years and then all of a sudden not giving it any of those things, I guess I kind of shocked my system. Laughing But it does get better. My lungs still remind me even at almost 3 months that there is junk in there they want out, but each week gets better and better (of course after smoking 55 cigarettes a day for more years than I can count none at all has to be a relief to my lungs -Wink

Time heals, it just takes time and we can't be impatient. I cannot expect my lungs to be healed in a few months when I spent years ruining them.... pounding them with poison. Every journey begins with the first step and quitting smoking is a way big one. It's more like a giant leap and our bodies and brains are just trying to get with the program - we got to give them time to do that.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: November 9, 2006 10:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What excellent advice you've received! And you must be so proud to have ridden your bike for 20 minutes...that is amazing!!! Be proud...don't worry...be happy!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: November 10, 2006 11:19 AM    Post subject: Tightness better today Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good advice and positive imput. I am better today and must try to hold down the anxiety attacks. My job is pretty much stress right now but that is not new to me.....like you said.....one step at a time and hearing it from those who know and been there means a lot! Thanks!
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: November 10, 2006 12:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tightness in my chest and sometimes difficulties taking in a deep full breath. Those problems have since now past. Hang in there. It takes time for our bodies to undo all the damage we've done to them. I pray about it and I imagine the healing going on inside of myself. Those thoughts are reinforcement to my quit.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 10, 2006 5:19 PM    Post subject: Re: Tightness in chest today.... Reply with quote

Idream wrote:
I had forgot this part being so strong when I quit last time - I will NEVER set myself up to have to go through this again.

I advise this all the time. Write your "future self" a letter right now. I put in mine a lot of truthful language about the pain, misery, heartache of quiting smoking. I to this day carry that letter with me. Only two folks in the world, my husband and sister, have heard this very graphic letter. I intend to read it if I every want to smoke. I did read it on my one year anniversary to remind myself how much I had been through.

Sending you good thoughts!!!!!!!!! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: