quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rain, rain, go away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 21, 2006 9:58 PM    Post subject: Rain, rain, go away Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad It seems that all my state gets this year is rain. I lost my electricity for almost a whole day in one rain storm recently. In a different rain storm this past summer I lost my electricity for about 10 or something hours. The roads all get flooded because when it rains it just cannot be a light drizzle but instead a mostly all day downpour. It is lightly raining out now but someone told me we are expecting heavy rain Wednesday and Thanksgiving. Grrr, I'm tired of all this rain.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 21, 2006 10:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 8:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that! Crying or Very sad

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 9:33 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin's right, Barbara! Since there isn't anything you can do about the rain, focus your energies in productive and positive ways. One thing though...get enough light. Is there somewhere you can spend some time that's out of doors but not in the rain...on a porch perhaps? a cafe that has lots of windows? Lack of light can really affect our moods.

Rusty Smile

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 12:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Barbara.

Rain, rain, go away.
Send some down Shevie's way.

Very Happy

I agree with Rusty's advice about the light. It really does make a difference in your mood.

Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 3:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all,

Thank you all. Rusty, I'm not down today on count of the rain. I am looking forward to tomorrow and fixing myself a big meal. I've been invited to my favorite restuarant tomorrow for a free buffet. My favorite waitress gave me $20 to go towards some gifts for the nursing home residents I will be spending Christmas with. I should give her a gift for Christmas but don't know what it could be. She loves to go to the movies so I should try to give her a gift certificate for a free movie.

Shevie, you are funny. I wish I could give you some of the rain VA is getting.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 5:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry Barbara. I misunderstood. Embarassed

I think your nursing home project is absolutely wonderful! I took care of my mother and my mother-in-law both before and after they had to go into nursing homes. Every little visit, every little item, every little distraction, and every BIG smile just made their day. So bless you for reaching out like that!

A movie ticket sounds perfect for your favorite waitress! Here's wishing you a wonderful holiday!!!

Rusty Very Happy

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 6:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Rusty,

That's okay. That is so sweet of you for taking such good care of your mother and mother-in-law. My mom spent the last 7 or so years of her life in a nursing home. That is why I will be spending my time with those who don't have anyone else. My mom would tell me about the other residents who never had anyone visit them. If I can get just one of the 4 residents to smile on Christmas Day I will be a very happy camper. Of course I would perfer to get them all to smile but not knowing these people I'm not sure what shape they are in. My mom was always smiling.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: November 22, 2006 7:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, my mother had Alzheimer's disease and she was very sad and angry during her last year. She didn't know who I was or where she was. She certainly wasn't herself at all. When I would go visit her, my whole goal was to make her smile one time. I knew she wouldn't remember that I was even there, but if I could give her 5 minutes of happy, I would be happy. So I brought in funny hats, sang funny songs to her, and even danced silly dances. I really became a child again while I was with her, just like she was.

Thank you for allowing me those memories....they may seem sad to you, but for me, I fondly remember my mother even when she was at her worst.

Rusty

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 23, 2006 12:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Rusty,

My mom had dementia which is a form of alheimizers but she never got to the stage where she didn't know me. But when my mom had a stroke and was out of it mentally for awhile I would bring her pictures of her grandchildren and a stuffed animal. Both of those would always bring a smile to my mom's face so even though my mom could not talk or move she was still able to respond to some stimuli.

I understand what you mean when you say fond memories because even though some of my memories may seem sad to others I will always treasure those smiles on my moms motionless body. How long has your mom been gone?

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: November 23, 2006 7:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara, my mom passed away in 98. Doesn't seem that long ago though.

I hope you had a wonderful day, today.

Rusty Smile

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 26, 2006 2:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{{{Rusty}}}}

I still after almost 2 years once a great while will get the urge to call my mom.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: