quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Handling Depression … Without Smoking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 3, 2006 9:18 AM    Post subject: Handling Depression … Without Smoking Reply with quote

from the national cancer institute flyer that mary d. posted earlier:

What To Expect
  • It is normal to feel sad for a period of time after you first quit smoking.
  • Many people have a strong urge to smoke when they feel depressed.
  • If you give in to your craving for a cigarette, you may feel sad that you could not stick with your decision to quit.

Did You Know?
  • Having a history of depression is associated with more severe withdrawal symptoms—including more severe depression. Some studies have found that many people with a history of major depression will have a new major depressive episode after quitting. However, in those with no history of depression, major depression after quitting is rare.
  • If mild depression occurs, it will usually begin within the first day, continue for the first couple of weeks, and go away within a month.

What To Do
  • Identify your specific feelings at the time that you seem depressed. Are you actually feeling tired, lonely, bored, or hungry? Focus on and address these specific needs.
  • Add up how much money you have saved already by not purchasing cigarettes and imagine (in detail) how you will spend your savings in 6 months.
  • Call a friend and plan to have lunch, or go to a movie, a concert, or another pleasurable event.
  • Make a list of things that are upsetting to you and write down solutions for them.
  • Keep positive about changes in life.
  • Increase physical activity. This will help to improve your mood and lift your depression.
  • Focus on your strengths.
  • Plan your next vacation or fun activity.
  • Breathe deeply.
  • Establish a list of your short- and long-term personal goals.
  • Think of how healthy you will be when all smoking effects are gone from your body and you can call yourself smoke-free.
  • If depression continues for more than 1 month, see your doctor.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit

Last edited by kevin on December 3, 2006 6:13 PM; edited 1 time in total
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 3, 2006 11:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Kevin. I had to face a lot of emotional issues that I had either buried or ignored when I quit. Quiting smoking is one of the best things I have ever done.

Cheers to us all! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 3, 2006 11:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Kevin! Maybe this needs to be a sticky since dealing with depression seems to be a significant stumbling block for many quitters. Having knowledge and some tools to deal with it can be quit savers.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 3, 2006 6:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome, alleghany. Smile

and good idea, mary; thanks for posting the link to this info! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 1:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very timely!

Alleghany....ditto on the emotional issues that are buried and need dealt with. Quitting, sometimes, is alot more than just not lighting up...it's a whole new realm of realization about ourselves.

Thanks Mary and Kevin!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 10, 2006 12:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, thanks for posting this, and for making it a Sticky!

May I just say that the solutions here are also good for any type of depression at all, even if it is not related to quitting.

And also that (from first-hand knowledge) the same applies to Anxiety.

P.S. Decided to add something here. It is VERY IMPORTANT to Identify the exact feeling. I remember early in my quit thinking I was depressed, and reallizing that I was actually hungry (had gotten busy and forgot to eat....which sounds silly, but can happen, especially in the beginning of a quit. My memory (never too great to start with) was really bonkers for the first few weeks of the Quit, but got OK after that.

Margaret
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2007 10:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it goes on for more than 1 month then call your doc?

Wow, the idea of being depressed for a whole month is pretty scarey... thats always where i stumble - i decide life is too short to spenmd it being miserable... even if i tell myself that life would be more scary if i had lung cancer, or even more miserable if i was spending long periods in hospital.....

i'll try and keep focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll try adn remember it's a craving

..day 2, and still determined.

Hope
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 22, 2007 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope
Try replacing depression with anger at the addiction. I ripped everyone apart at first and I managed to stay sane(by the grace of GOD). Every last one of them forgave me. We still laugh about it. Makes me chuckle just thinking of it.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here

Last edited by Melody on January 22, 2007 11:06 AM; edited 1 time in total
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2007 10:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure my family and friends will appreciate that, but i'll try it out! Laughing

Hope
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 25, 2007 9:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Kevin Smile

Take care everyone !!
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2007 10:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm doing fine now. i'm happy to say. the depression side of quitting left me pretty fast, I was lucky.
It's true what they say - it DOES get better!
And even though it doesnt feel like it in those crappy first few days, it gets better pretty quickly.

Hope
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 25, 2007 10:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are doing well & I can be honest in saying it does get better I have been fighting depression for 20 plus years the minute I let go of it & stopped being so critical on 'why won't it go' & got on with Yoga walking in the hills & concentrating on my music it really got a LOT better...pfttt smoking made me more depressed I was always praying I wouldn't die of the big 'C' now that's gone so all is getting there slowly but steadily Smile
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2007 1:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone...you're sounding good! I like those 3 words you used..."got on with"...that's it in a nutshell, isn't it? Just just get on with it...get on with like you are doing ...the yoga, walking the hill (that's a part I would get into), etc. Life is so funny...well, no so much life, as it is our own silly selves. We tend to hold ourselves back from living with our own thoughts and fears that imprison us. Embracing the life...that's it....glad you have found that for yourself!!! Wink Very Happy Hugs Simone!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 26, 2007 7:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it like this I went today to the rheumatologist & ended up with a steroid needle being shot in between my bones thumb & base Ahhhh but the best thing is I have a hand the Professor said I'll do ok because I have a positive attitude may as well live it while we can enjoy it achy bones & all , you are Sooo right we do tend to imprison ourselves & not get on with living that's just not an option life is meant to be lived Very Happy

*Hugs* to you too Deb Wink xox
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 14, 2008 10:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

the feeling of lost and depressed is overwhelming at times...more than less.

i'm glad to read this article....it's nice to know you're not the only one.

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: