quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Splenda
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: December 6, 2006 8:21 PM    Post subject: Splenda Reply with quote

Good evening people... I would like your personal opinion on drinking pepsi with Splenda. I know I should get off pepsi (but I get addicted to soooo many things) so I figured I would try Pepsi One which has splenda in itl

Now everyone I see tells me to get off it cuz it causes cancer. I have a friend from bible study who told me to get off it. Her doctors say its bad. YET, I have other doctors who say its okay.

So just want your input.

Thanks a bunch.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 6, 2006 11:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started using it when i was on the atkins diet a few years ago, and never liked it, then i started reading some pretty scary stuff about it and personally, i won't use it any more. interestingly enough, out of the first 10 listings in a google search on the word "splenda", the only ones with anything positive to say about it are the manufacturers or distributors of it (i'm not counting the recipe site or the wikipedia entry, as those are neutral):

read more: http://www.google.com/search?q=splenda

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 12:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the day sugar substitutes were first invented, I always thought something was wrong with them. Cannot say why, unless it was intuition, but I refused ever to use them. Turns out I seem to have been right.

Anyway, as for Splenda, it is the worst thing on my list, and will cause an instant Migraine of epidemic proportions (rather like ingesting poison), and I sometimes get a rash from it also.

I was totally horrified at Thanksgiving to discover, after I had already eaten one, that the tarts someone brought had been made with Splenda. Naturally, I could not make a huge fuss at a party, but it would seem common curtesy to have warned us. (I always take my Imitrex shots with me everywhere, so I excused myself to take the shot and lie down for a while and was OK.) From now on, I will not eat things made by others until I read the ingredients (and this is especially true at the grocery store.)

Gook luck with your research. I realize some think it is OK. This is just my opiniion. Smile

Margaret
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 7:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Londa - I do use Splenda. I use the "baking blend" which is both Splenda and real sugar in baking and other things. But I'm a diet Pepsi person - which is sweetned with Aspertame. I do try to not use both NutraSweet and Splenda at the same time. I've been drinking diet sodas for years and years. I rarely react to anything - so I don't have issues with any of the artificial sweeetners. I even used to use saccharine and Sweet 'n Low in the days before Equal and Splenda. I'm an all things in moderation sort of person - (except for smoking which is an all or northing). Most days I might have one diet soda and two or three cups of coffee with sweetner - but then I'm drinking water. I do know folks who must stay away from the aspertame sweetners as well as the splenda type sweetners. Maybe measure the lesser of two evils - when it comes to diet sodas.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 7:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your time for replying. I can't take nutrasweet because of my convulsive disorder (epilepsy) so thought I would try Splenda. I thought it was much sweeter and the taste stayed in my mouth. I had a regular pepsi yesterday. I go to the local arrowmart and get one from the fountain and put loads of ice in and a little pepsi. Hopefully not getting too much sugar. Then someone here at work said cola products are bad to begin with. That the carbonation itself is bad.
Lets see, 2 years ago I was putting in 4,000 chemicals through my system.
Didn't think anything of that. Glad I changed my mind Very Happy

I have finally come to the conclusion, also, moderation. Key word.
My 2 new words I am really using since I quit "choice" and "moderation". Oh , I need to work on discipline Embarassed

Kevin, thanks for the sites, I will look them up later today. Am at work now and have to go for today is Chocolate Thursday and I was baking up a storm to feed these teachers. Other people in my department are in on it too. Its fun.

God Bless all and have a great day.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,

You truly have my sympathy. I have two family members who are addicted to Diet Pepsi.

I use Splenda in moderation in prepared food products, but I do not bake with it. My husband absolutely never touches the stuff or any other brand of artifical sweetner.

It is a tough time of year to deal with food issues.

Sending you good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 10:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chocolate Thursday"? now, that's my kind of workday! are there any openings where you work, londa? Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 1:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Skinny on Sucralose

by Lynn Tripp

Sucralose, better known to the public as SPLENDA, is an artificial sweetener that has led to several low-calorie food choices for American consumers—good news for dieters and the calorie conscious alike.

SPLENDA stands in a long list of artificial sweeteners approved for use in the United States; this list includes saccharin (Sweet N' Low), aspartame (Nutrasweet), acesulfame K (Sunette), and neotame (Neotame).

Both the World Health Organization and the American Dietetic Association have given it their seal of approval. And sucralose has been given the safe check-mark by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group based in Washington, DC.

What Makes Sucralose Different From Other Artificial Sweeteners?

Sucralose is the only artificial sweetener that is made from sugar molecules. By substituting part of the sugar molecule with chlorine, an extremely stable molecule is created that has a sweetness about 600 times sweeter than table sugar. But fear not, the chlorine is of no health risk; think of the chlorine in salt (sodium chloride).

And, with its sugar-like taste and excellent stability, sucralose can be used in place of sugar in virtually every type of food and beverage. It is even available in a granular form that measures just like table sugar.

Unlike the other artificial sweeteners, sucralose is unique in that it is not efficiently absorbed by the body. Only about 20% of the total amount of sucralose ingested actually is absorbed by the body, which is a tiny amount considering the small quantity required to achieve the desired sweetness of table sugar. The remaining 80% passes through the digestive tract intact and is simply excreted, unchanged. Of the 20% that does get absorbed, only a small amount is actually metabolized and turned into energy for the body. This minuscule amount adds up to zero energy, which translates to zero calories

Is Sucralose Safe?

Sucralose was scrutinized for more than 20 years and its safety was intensely reviewed by many authoritative regulatory agencies. Before reaching a decision on the safety of sucralose, more than 100 animal and human studies were evaluated by an expert panel appointed by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Can People With Diabetes Use Sucralose?

No artificial sweetener is allowed on the market until the FDA has deemed them safe for use by the public, including people with diabetes. And, because sucralose is not recognized as a carbohydrate by the body, it has no effect on blood glucose levels. But, as with any nutrition concerns, people with diabetes should consult their healthcare provider for individual dietary advice.

Is Sucralose Safe for Kids?

Although the safety of sucralose has been confirmed for all people of all ages, good judgment must prevail when allowing children to consume low-calorie products. A child's body is growing so quickly that substituting nutritious, growth-supporting carbohydrates with non-nutritive sweeteners is not a good idea. Energy from carbohydrates is extremely important to a growing child's body, and artificial sweeteners supply no growth-supporting energy whatsoever. Children who fill up on empty foods are unlikely to sit down to a nutritious dinner. And, besides running the risk of your child missing essential nutrients, allowing over-consumption of low-calorie foods lays the foundation for a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits.

What Products Contain Sucralose?

Sucralose has been approved for use in baked goods and beverages to frozen desserts, gelatins, and even salad dressings.

The good news is that products that have never before been offered in a low-calorie form are now available as food manufacturers creatively develop products with sucralose. The bad news is that, much like in the case of fat replacements, a wide range of reduced calorie food choices can propel unhealthy eating habits. The wise choice is to use products with artificial sweeteners sparingly—use them as an indulgence, rather than as an essential part of your conventional diet.

RESOURCES:

American Dietetic Association
http://www.eatright.org

Center for Science in the Public Interest
http://www.cspinet.org

References:

"FDA Approves New High-Intensity Sweetener Sucralose." FDA Talk Paper T98-16. April 1, 1998.

Low-calorie sweeteners: sucralose. The Calorie Control Council website. Available at: http://www.caloriecontrol.org/sucralos.html.

Last reviewed January 2006 by Steven Bratman, MD

http://healthgate.partners.org/browsing/LearningCenter.asp?fileName=13909.xml&title=The%20Skinny%20on%20Sucralose
Massachusetts General Hospital

Splenda is great in my book.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 1:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Londa.

I have to wonder just what is so wrong with sugar that we must turn to chemical substitutes concocted in a laboratory?

As for Pepsi, Coke, RC, etc, the carbonation is bad for you, the ton of sugar in each one is bad for you (too much of a good thing), and so is the phosphoric acid. BTW, phosporic acid is the active ingredient in naval jelly which is used to remove rust from metal. Guess you're pipes aren't rusty, then. Very Happy <sorry, that just slipped out>

My wife and I will not touch anything containing any artificial sweetener. She's had bad a bad experience with aspartame, then there's that old issue with saccharine & cancer. I just have to think that natural food is the best choice. It tastes better, too.

Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 1:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slenda is not aspartame or saccharine.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 11:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free (and others!)

I DO HOPE THAT YOU TELL PEOPLE if you bake with Splenda! It makes me very, very ill, as I said in my post. I know other people who become ill from it also! Please let people know if you have used it in your cooking!

That is interesting that it has chlorine in it. That could be part of my problem, maybe (not sure) but I am allergic to chlorine, and while I get Migraine from any artificial sweentener, I only get the rash from Splenda.

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT TO READ LABELS before buying baked goods or grocery store items. If I don't know, I ask at the bakers. I believe, however, that bakers are required to label their products if they have used Splenda.

Thanks for bringing this up, Londa, and thanks for the interesting article, Free. Smile

Margaret
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 11:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Margaret. I get very very sick with ANY artificial sweetners. In the past I used to STRESS to a waitress...I CANNOT DRINK DIET PEPSI...MAKE SURE IT'S REGULAR PEPSI...it makes me spend the entire night in the bathroom. Shocked

So I would also want to know if any of these were used in someone's baked goods.

Margerine used to be touted and now they're talking about all the problems it's causing and to eat butter instead.

All these engineered artificial foods are problems waiting to happen in my opinion.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 12:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,

Do believe you are on the right track with those two words... choice and moderation. Wink

Drink regular soda...just in moderation. Just like anything...too much is bad. A soda here and there isn't going to hurt. It's the constant sodas that are over the top. So....moderation, like you said, is the best choice.

As to whether splenda is good or not...(shrugging shoulders)...I personally avoid artifical sweetners, but that's me. I choose, instead, moderation of real sugar intake. (Well, except during the holidays...then cookies, and candies...ohhhh too good. Embarassed ) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love ya Girl!!! You'll conquer the pepsi challenge too....after all, you conquered the smoke!!! Wink

Big Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
ramblerboy2

Quit Date:
April 16, 2007

PostPosted: October 5, 2007 4:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha.

This is reminding me of an episode of that old sit-com "Get Smart" I will try to reproduce the exchange here:

scientist dude (SD)-"This is the second most deadly poison on Earth. Can you guess what it is?"

Maxwell Smart (MS)-"um... artificial sweetener?"

SD-"No, its *blank*(cant remember... gobeldygook. Whatever)"

MS-"I see... So if gobeldygook is the second most deadly poison, what is the MOST deadly poison on earth?

SD-"artificial sweetener"

heehee.

Londa, do you like unsweetened iced tea or coffee?

Josh

Twitter @joshualaporte
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2007 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Londa -

I've never been a big soda drinker - so I can take them or leave them without much effort. I know women who drink several cokes/pepsis, etc. daily. I don't know if it's the caffeine in the soda or what that gets them "hooked." If you just like carbonated beverages and you're willing to try alternatives - around this place we just buy charged water (which you can pay more for like we unfortunately sometimes do when we just buy unflavored Crystal Geyser sparkling water, or less for, which I really need to do, by just buying charges and making your own!) And then we flavor it ourselves as the mood inspires. have a few Torani sodas around the house (currently blueberry and cherry and tangerine), or previously I figured out how to make a lavender simple syrup (pure cane sugar, water, lavender.. bring to boil - take off heat and let steep 30 minutes - strain) that makes a really lovely lavender soda. I'll also mix the charged water with fruit juice - anything from lemonade (preferably home made!) to cranberry juice - toss in a squeeze of lemon, it's really refreshing.

The nice thing about making your own is that you can use pure cane sugar and modify it to your taste - based on our calculations, when we do "make" a soda, it's probably at least 1/3 of the calories of "regular" soda and has far, far less sugar (and no corn syrup!)

So if you're looking for alternatives - give some of those a try. Ed used to be a total soda-addict. Now he usually just drinks the charged water and doesn't even bother adding flavor - he's just grown to like it as is.

best of luck!

-Zuzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: