quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beer - was not a good reward....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: December 27, 2006 7:12 PM    Post subject: Beer - was not a good reward.... Reply with quote

Well I thought I would have a few beers for Christmas Cheer in my local little pub - ( a real nice one I might add). Several friends there and everything was cool until about the third beer - (after eating the Christmas dinner they served)..I do not know who this person was but IT was using my mouth and not sounding very nice at all to the person who had insulted me. I feel stupid - it made me cry - no one knew what to say to me. I have never had domestic beer (3.2) affect me this way so quickly. I guess my reward will not be having a few beers again. I am not kidding - can doing a cold turkey quit have any bearing on how this affected me I am still quite angry with it all and am trying to get back to focus on my "one baby step at a time" quit. I have not smoked but this incident keeps popping into my thought process and I want it to stop. The cig smoke was bad in the pub and perhaps I just got angry.....anyone have any input on this one? Thanks, Mardi
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 27, 2006 7:38 PM    Post subject: Yep I know about that... Reply with quote

Hi Mardi, yes some people cannot drink and quit smoking - they say that it's easier to quit smoking if they do not drink alcohol. It did not bother me, I did not givce up my one beer a night from the very beginning - I used my single beer or glass of wine as a reward for not smoking all day cause I figured I wasn't going to give up everything at once or my husband would become very afraid of the person he lives with now for 30 years -Wink

But much of the information available says drinking is probably a no-no for some people and it can be dangerous to your quit if you get drunk enough to smoke again..... but I'd say being in a smoke filled bar is probably not a good idea either. I did not go to bars nor around other people I know who smoke until about 2 months after I quit and I was afraid then but it was okay.

So you might want to not drink for a while or maybe drink in moderation and at home not in a bar. The whole scene was probably more than your formerly "junkie" brain wanted to deal with and thus your mood and attitude.....

Hang in there you did the best part - not smoking -Wink

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: December 27, 2006 10:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing well if they just used your mouth and not your backhand or fist, then count your blessings Laughing Laughing maybe it affected you differently without the smokes....hold yourself to just one or two until you feel comfy again....If you associate smoking and drinking in a very strong image, then I would skip it altogether and just boogy instead...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 28, 2006 10:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

many people find that alcohol affects them more quickly right after they quit smoking, mardi (and i know there's a reason for this, but i can't find it right now; you might want to google it), but that usually evens out after a while. don't forget that alcohol is a poison, and your body is already trying to figure out what's normal after years of having to deal with your self-poisoning with nicotine; just give it some time, and limit yourself to a "safe" number of drinks per outing (which you have now established is "less than three" Wink ).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: December 28, 2006 11:04 AM    Post subject: Thanks guys - I needed that! Reply with quote

Kevin, Cowgirl and TX 2 Step: So glad for the support - I do not feel so bad today. Kevin - I will google that because normally if I have had a lot of food - three or even four 3.2 beers has never made me get defensive like that. I sip on a beer for a long time. I only drink beer and only in social setting. I never drink at home - alone! Usually if a beer buddy gets mouthy - I simply move away and I did not do that this time. I will definately not drink any beers in that kind of situation again and thank goodness the holidays are almost over now and that pub has probably always been that smoke filled - I just did not notice it before. I still do not smoke and that is my goal - and in trying to get my focus back and laugh at myself some - one of my pals called and said everyone was just speechless that I lit into a tipsy-mouthy-out of line comment from a buddy being a jerk. That does not help a lot but it does help some.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 29, 2006 1:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardi, my feeling is it may have been the beer or it may not have. I had a few scenes like that, and I was not drinking, when I first quit. It is a hard time emotionally for some of us. It was for me. And frankly, I cried a lot, and sometimes I got very angry or unreasonable over little things. This stopped after a few weeks, and there was no harm done. I know it feels awful at the time, but I see it as a normal part of quitting, and certainly nothing to worry about. You are just being a normal quitter.

About the beers, I have heard that one should limit themselves to 2 when the quit is new. I don't know about this for myself, because beer gives me Migraine......Champaign, however, doesn't! Laughing ....Soooo, I have no more than 2 glasses of it. But the first 2 weeks, if I remember right, I did not drink, even wine, because it tended to trigger cig urges in me.

You are doing great with your quit, and that is the truth. You just keep it going, and keep those heels dug in, you will soon be over the worst of it.
And the good news is......that you are going to love not smoking. I know everyone says that, but it is just so true! Just you wait. You will see what I mean.
Meantime.....keep on keeping on!!!

Margaret
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: December 29, 2006 11:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - thanks for your response. It is so important for me to have this important input. I have no support group in my personal life as all of my gal pals still smoke but one and she is in Wyoming. I feel like I am back on my focus track and have read some posts on this site that have given me a better outlook on not having to believe this quit is too hard for me to handle - or that it has to be preceived as such and that things will happen sometimes anyway - nothing to do with quit. I must and will stay positive.........I want that smile and those pearly whites to shine when I do. Now I will work on an important reward - lots of dental work in the spring - saving that cig money up for that! Oh by the way - I am so jealous that you can drink the bubbly - it just makes me too goofy and giggly - even one glass. (Perhaps I should have had that instead of the beers) LOL ....Happy New Year...Mardi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: