quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Still Have Bad Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: December 28, 2006 1:30 PM    Post subject: I Still Have Bad Days Reply with quote

I just got back from Japan a few days ago. I went their with my wife to visit my in-laws ( my wife is Japanese).

It was such a nice vacation too. I haven't had a vacation in a while and it was really nice to sit back and just enjoy not having to worry about anything.

We even got to spend X-mas day in Japan and with the time difference flying back to Seattle we were going to arrive X-mas morning. Meaning we were going to be able to spend X-mas day with my family also.

Well, it seems that there was quite the storm in Seattle when we were gone and when we got home, I found that our basement flooded.

I walked into the house after being up for 24 hours( I can't seem to sleep on a plane) to find it smelling of musty water. Then I spent the next few hours cleaning up water and pulling up carpet and padding until I was too tired and went to bed.

I have been spending the last few days trying to clean up this mess and the other night there was another heavy rain that caused the basement to leak again. I ended up spending all night tryng to keep the water from ruining the progress I made the previous day.

I think that I have been feeling a little sorry for myself these last few days and have been really depressed. I think I have been dwelling on the bad feelings I'm having about this experience.

I just read a reply from Backfist and I think she unknowingly helped me snap out of my depression a bit.

The good part of the whole experience is that smoking doesn't even cross my mind when I have these kinds of days. This I'm very thankful for.

I've had some pretty bad days since I quit smoking. I've had 4 people die since I quit. Two being family members. I've been in a car accident. Basement flood. Had the roof leak etc. etc., but the thing is, these things would have happened whether I smoked or not.

Sure, days like these suck for sure, but I think in the past I would have somehow blamed it on quitting smoking. I would have somehow tied these bad days with not smoking anymore, only to try and justify me lighting one up.

Funny the rationale behind that. What junkie thinking. Looking on it now, really why would smoking a cigarette make any of these bad days better? What would a cigarette magically do for me that would make losing a family member seem not as devasting or make the damage to my car seem not as bad?

Would a cigarette act as a de-humidifier as I light it up and help soak up the water and ease the humidity in my house? I think not.

How cruel cigarettes are. What a cruel joke they play on the smoker.

As Allen Carr says: Smoking a cigarette is like pounding your head against a wall, just so you can feel the pleasure when you stop doing it.

How true, how true!

Well I think that I have whined enough. Time for me to get back to work and try and get my house in order.

UCanQuit

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: December 29, 2006 12:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCanQ....I envy your quit and how you can express through words on a screen to others all the good sound advice and comments and things you have been through with your quit. As I have recently said in another post - one of your post and Kevins comment just lit a bulb in my head and already my quit is easier because of that. I was thinking during this first 70 days of my real quit that everything happening to me was harder because of the quit - no way - that IS a lie and I will not fall for it. I have distant cousins in your area and they say it was really a mess there - I hope it is getting better for you now. I am still so new at my quit I do not know how to express my well wishes to others very strongly in words so I will do a silly yell for you...YOU CAN QUIT IS REALLY STRONG....HIS POSTS WILL HELP YOUR QUIT ALONG..GO UCAN...YEAH! Hope that makes you smile......Mardi
Backfist

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 29, 2006 7:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help, Ucan! Hang in there. It won't be winter forever! And that's pretty funny about "would a cigarette act as a dehumidifier?" !!!!!! I also think not.

Happy New Year!

Dekie

quit date: November 21, 2002
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: January 1, 2007 8:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about all your misfortunes. You have the right attitude though through it all.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: January 2, 2007 6:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

so true & thanks for sharing! I like Allen Carr's analogy!!

Oshogatsu Omedetou Gozaimasu! ^_^

-Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: January 2, 2007 11:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariichan,

Domo arigato gozaimasu! Oshogatsu omedeto gozaimasu ( Happy New Year)!

Ja mata

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: January 3, 2007 2:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Happy New Year to you too.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: