quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

achy joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dene

Quit Date:
December 4, 2006

PostPosted: December 31, 2006 11:50 AM    Post subject: achy joints Reply with quote

Hello,
For the past couple of weeks I have had quite a bit of achy joints in my hands, neck, shoulders, elbows and hips. I don't know if it is from tensing up during the quit, since I'm still early into it. Or if it is my body getting rid of all the toxins that are in cigarettes other than just the nicotine. I know there are many poisons in cigarettes. Did anyone else go through this when quitting? I just picked up a beginner level yoga DVD, to help learn to stretch and breath.
Thank you for any suggestions,
Dene
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2006 1:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dene,

Your body started healing 20 minutes after the last cigarette. Very Happy

You may experience a number of physical things as the body tries to adjust and heal. You'll find many posts on this.

The yoga will be very beneficial....as well as any type of exercise.

I thought I would list a handful of poisons besides the nicotine in cigarettes.....

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 31, 2006 9:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dene - Yoga!! I love it - and its something I finally tried as a non-smoker. The thought of a 90 minute class kept me away...that last half-hour would have been uncomfortable for wanting to smoke.

I don't specifically recall joint pain - but my body kept adjusting and changing. I hope you enjoy the stretching and breathing....don't get frustrated if the positions seem difficult and ya just can't quite get there at first - just try - you will be surprised at how quickly your flexibility changes.

Just hang in there and try to not rush the process...it all happens in its own time! You are doing GREAT!!! Keep going!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 4, 2007 1:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having a lot of muscle pain from tension during the first weeks of the Quit. I found what helped me was exercise followed by icing down the joints. I put baggies of ice on my knees, back, and ankles (don't remember my elbows hurting, but they may have).....and followed that with a really, really hot shower. The heat does good for muscles, and especially for neck and shoulders.

All the crappy stuff goes away after a while. Smile

Say, Donna, that was nice that you included the poisons. It's always nice to remember that we no longer are getting those monsters inside us!

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: