quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how to post images
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > message board tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 23, 2004 8:58 AM    Post subject: how to post images Reply with quote

first of all, the image you want to use must be on a publicly accessible web server, and you must have the full URL (web address) for the image.

to get the URL for the image you'd like to use:

the first (and preferable *) way:

1. go to the web page that contains the image you want to use
  2. right-click on the image
  3. choose "Save picture as..." from the pop-up menu
  4. (optional) rename the picture
  5. save the picture someplace on your computer (like your desktop) where you can find it again
    (you can skip the first five steps if you'd like to use an image that's on your personal computer - i.e.; an image that you created yourself, a scan of a photograph, etc.)
  6. if you don't have your own web space, you can sign up for an account with a free web host that will allow you to post images (click this link to find such a host)
  7. follow their instructions on how to upload your image to your web space
  8. follow their instructions on how to determine the URL for your image
  9. copy the URL for your image

the second (less preferable *) way:

1. go to the web page that contains the image you want to use
  2. right-click on the image
  3. choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu
  4. find the line that says "Address (URL):"
  5. highlight the entire URL (must start with "http" and end with a common image extension, either ".gif", ".jpg", or ".jpeg")
  6. right-click on the highlighted URL and choose "Copy" from the pop-up menu

once you have the URL:

• to use the image as your "avatar": paste the URL for your image into the "Link to off-site Avatar:" box near the bottom of your profile

• to use the image in your signature: paste the URL for your image into the signature box in your profile, and surround it with image tags, like so:
    Code:
    [img]the URL for your image is here[/img]

• to add the image to a post: paste the URL for your image into the message body, highlight the URL, and click the "Img" button above the text entry box.

* NOTE: although the second way looks easier, there are several reasons why the first way is preferable:

1. if you simply copy the URL for an image that's hosted on somebody else's server (as in method two), it will disappear (i.e., you'll get the dreaded "red x of death" where your image used to be) if they remove it or change its URL. this won't happen if you link to an image that you're hosting on your own server space (as in method one).

2. a lot of web hosts don't allow "image hijacking" (where you link to an image on somebody else's server; this is the common term for method two), so you may get through all that and find the dreaded red x (or an image that you didn't expect) where you thought your image would appear.

3. if you'd like to use an image that you have on your personal computer, you'll have to use method one (because you can't link to an image on your personal computer; it won't work).
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 24, 2004 12:44 PM    Post subject: Thanks, Kevin Reply with quote

Many thanks for the instructions for posting images. I'm sure going to give it a try. I've attempted to do this previously but have been unsuccessful. With your instructions, it just may work.

Living free for 1M, 1W, 6D, 15H, 13M & loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 12:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin,
That makes it much clearer! I printed it out to refer to until I get the hang of it all.

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 26, 2004 1:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Kevin! Cool

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ajc3436

Quit Date:
November 30, 2003

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 2:10 PM    Post subject: images Reply with quote

How can I add these images to the body of a mail message in Outlook?
Thanks,
Audrey
merry

Quit Date:
August 15, 2003

PostPosted: June 19, 2004 3:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just testing my avatar!

Mary
Q/D: August 15, 2003
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 9:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Kevin,

What does this mean: "if you don't have your own web space". I see that you would put a pic on your desk top. Why not just then put it in your message or avatar? Confused How wouold I know whether Ihave my own web space?

Thanks

good question, Margaret. let's take woofmang as an example:

this site is accessible from anywhere in the world where there's an internet connection and a web browser. that's because it has a URL (a "Uniform Resource Locator" - specifically, "http://quit-smoking-support.woofmang.com/") and it "lives" on a web server that has a persistent (i.e., 24/7) connection to the internet. if you look at the entire world wide web as the total "web space", then the part of the web server that this site lives on and that's pointed to by that particular URL could be said to be "my" web space.

your personal computer is not a web server, so items on your desktop are only accessible locally (i.e., from your computer). you can't put an image that's on your desktop into a post or use it as an avatar because it's not accessible from the internet; it has no URL. a web browser would not be able to locate it. (in other words, it's not in "web space".)

but there are places that are in web space that will allow you to store images there to be used wherever you like (including here); if you click on the link at the end of the 6th bullet under the first method outlined above, you'll find many such places. if you then follow the rest of the instructions, your avatar is much less likely to disappear.

hope this made sense...

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 10:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, your explanation was alot better than mine. I know how it works but you have made it alot easier to understand. Hopefully, we'll see alot of the red "x"s disappear soon and be replaced with images.

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Gentle Breeze

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 10:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to surround elements with beginning tags and closing tags, like this:

Code:
[img]http://funnygreetings.com/ocean3/possum_hanging_ty_wht.gif[/img]

to get this:

Just a smarty pants college kid
Mar

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 11:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying an avator, once again.

Marlene
Mar

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 11:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this doesn't work, I give up.

Marlene
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: August 3, 2004 11:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle Breeze, thanks for the tip on the image tags. You must have been reading that post just as I finished posting. I realized my mistake and fixed the image. I hope you enjoy the hummingbird!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 6:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kevin. I printed out the directions, so hopefully I'll get it this time.

Have a nice day!

Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Mar

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to put an avator under my user name.

I have obtained an URL from imagewhiz.com and have confirmation from them via e-mail. I can locate the picture and everything looks good.

Your instructions say to "paste" the URL in the proper place, however, I am unable to do this. I have typed the full URL (leaving nothing out) many times, hit SUBMIT, but nothing appears when I post.

What am I doing wrong? Amy help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marlene
Gentle Breeze

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 11:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Mr. Frank are quick like hummingbird and you not smoke is beautiful each quick beat of wing. This is needed to stay free and let healing begin.

Gentle Breeze

Many years and some days healing and happy - by choice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > message board tips All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: