quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

School and Rehab, Now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 9, 2007 2:00 PM    Post subject: School and Rehab, Now what? Reply with quote

I sent my Rehab. counselor a letter outlining some things about my Goodwill teacher that made me feel uncomfortable as a student. Such things as her saying, "now I've got reports to do, don't bother me." And then covering herself by saying, "you know I'm only kidding." I had asked my Rehab. counselor in the letter that I would like my transportation to be paid for to attend my abuse support groups so in turn I could better be able to know how to deal with school and such issues like my teacher that may arise in a job. His responses are to sit down with him, the teacher, and her supervisor and discuss the complaints I have with the the teacher. I told him I did not feel comfortable doing this and his response was that was where a mediator comes in giving me the impression it would be mediated. Last night I emailed him last night saying to please go into detail explaining what I could expect and was it standard protocol to go through what he is asking me to do. For one thing, he never answered my question on whether the Dept. of Rehab. would pay for my transportation to to my abuse support groups nor if the procedure of me confronting the teacher was standard protocol. Now his his saying not to expect him to convey my feelings to Goodwill. He just keeps repeating with every email he sends me, Send the letter to the teacher and her supervisor is the 1st step.

I do not like this at all and need to get some feed back from others. I for one do not like the idea of confronting the teacher when my gut instinct asks me what good will it do me? How is it going to help me deal with her? I have already complained to her last supervisor about her yelling at me and the teacher did not even remember it but still apologized for it. She still gave me a dirty look when someone else at her lunch table asked me to sit down the week before last. And if my Rehab. counselor doesn't plan on helping me convey how I feel what will his role be? I kind of feel since the Dept. of Rehab. contracts with Goodwill for their services that there is a little bias against how I feel. I feel like asking my Rehab. counselor for an outside mediator like from another agency, that has no connection between the both Goodwill and the Dept. of Rehab. as for as contracts. And what about me asking for transportion to my abuse support groups. After all, that is where my failure to deal stems from. I mean if my teacher has me walking on egg shells how is talking to her about it going to help. None of the people are psychologists or understand the implication it has on me.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 12, 2007 1:13 PM    Post subject: Re: School and Rehab, Now what? Reply with quote

Barbara K. wrote:
I mean if my teacher has me walking on egg shells how is talking to her about it going to help. None of the people are psychologists or understand the implication it has on me.

Actually, Barbara, they might see this a part of your rehabilitation. Part of breaking the cycle of abuse is being able to deal with authority figures.

Of course, that is just an optional opinion.

I'm pulling for you! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 14, 2007 9:04 PM    Post subject: School today Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Alleghany,

Thank you so much for responding to my post about the situation I had with my Rehab. counselor wanting for me to confront the teacher. There seemed to be a misunderstanding between my Rehab. counselor and I when I made that post. The teacher I had the problems with got promoted and was filling in for the current teacher when I returned back to Goodwill a couple of weeks ago. My rehab. counselor thought I was having problems with both the teacher that got promoted and the current one and I thought that since he used only a name for the current teacher that she was the old teacher's supervisor.

I had to stand up to my Rehab. counselor for asking me where my abuse support groups are. I haven't heard from him since.

Today I had a good day in school. Although I do believe the old teacher had been talking about me to others by the way some made snide remarks directed at the situation. That is one reason why I did not want to confront her, for retaliation.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: