quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nicotine- The True Gateway Drug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: March 10, 2007 4:19 PM    Post subject: Nicotine- The True Gateway Drug Reply with quote

I posted this on another site, but thought it might be helpful here also, for anyone who has children.

This happened the other day and it got me thinking.

Hello everyone,

I'm at work right now. Earlier my boss was talking to someone about Marijuana and how it is a big gateway drug to more hard core drugs.

For some reason this got me thinking about something. I started to think back when I first started smoking (Age 12) and all the people I knew that smoked when I was in middle scholl and high school.

I started thinking about all those people that smoked and realized something. Every single person I knew that smoked cigarettes when I was in school, also experimented with other drugs and alcohol, ( Yes we all now know that nicotine is a drug). I can't think of one person back then that just smoked cigarettes and did nothing else. Not one. I'm not saying that there isn't anyone, but I can't remember one person.

Sure there were kids in high school that didn't smoke and experiemented with either alcohol or marijuana, BUT not all the non smoking kids did this, just a small portion.

What is interesting though is that ALL the kids I remember who smoked cigarettes, DID experiment with alcohol or marijuana. Myself included. Again I'm not saying all people who smoke do this, but I personally do not remember a single person that smoked cigarettes, who did not try other drugs.

Then I was thinking about people today who have drug or alcohol problems. A good example is celebrities.

Think of all the celebrities who either are alcoholics or drug addicts. There are many out there. Their addictions may be different. Some are addicted to alcohol. Some are addicted to Heroin. Some are addicted to Valuim, while others maybe addicted to Vicodin. Their "drug of choice" addiction may greatly differ, but I started thinking about it and they all seem to have one thing in common.

They all smoke cigarettes. Every single famous person I can think of that either has drug or alcohol problems or has died of alcohol or drugs, smoked. At least every single person I can think of. I'm not saying everyone smoked, but I cannot think of one famous person who has a drug or alcohol problem that doesn't smoke cigarettes. I think for every person that is in this situation that doesn't smoke, that there is 100 people in the same situation that do smoke cigarettes.

It seems that the alcohol and drug addicts that don't smoke, almost seem to be the exception to the rule.

I'm not saying all smokers are drug addicts or alcoholics, but it seems most drug addicts and alcoholics are smokers.

I think this is important for parents to realize this, because if their child is experiementing with cigarettes. Chances are, that they will be experiementing with drugs and alcohol.

I think Nicotine is the true gateway drug.

Eric

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
judy sagen

Quit Date:
March 5, 2007

PostPosted: March 10, 2007 6:05 PM    Post subject: i agree with you Reply with quote

great post. i think it is so true. the problem is i think, that so many young kids look up to these so called super stars athletes and so on and try to imitate them. they are not good role models. i did smoke in school, never did drugs, except the nicotine, but did see others smoking drugs. that was a long time ago. i graduated in 1962. parents have to talk to their kids more and monitor where they are and who they are with. seems like parents have lost all control of their kids. if you smoke, so will your kids, don't set that example for them to see. again, it was a great post, i am going back to read it again. hugs, judy

LIVE FOR TODAY, TOMORROW WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: