quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papstoody

Quit Date:
May 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 6:05 AM    Post subject: I'm Back Reply with quote

I didn't make it here yesterday. My Quit Day. We have been having some pretty wicked Thunder Storms every night for a week, so the one Tuesday night really was a hoot and hollar storm. Nothing worked right after that one. I hate storms, and that one sure reminded me why. Even my Husband got up to see if the back yard was on fire.

On to smoking.
My DR called me Tuesday morning with some good news about some tests I had had. I talked to her about what I was trying to do again. She was very happy I was going for it again, but said I could try it on my own if I felt that positive, but next week when I see her, she wants to put me on Wellbutrun for some extra support. She said I am going through too much right now to try to keep my mind centered soley on my quit.
I talked to her about this group and how great you all are. She is really happy that I have a sight with so many members to help and talk to.
So, I am trying this on my own, but next week I will take her suggested RX, and go back on the patch at the same time. You all are helping so much, but I can't get on here as often as I would like, or need to, so I will take the little added help. I really want to Quit, I am determined to Quit, and for my health sake, I really need to Quit.

Thank you all for staying by my side and the support. I need all the help I can get. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life, and I've had some really hard tests. I have been smoking for 40-1/2 years so it has become a part of my life that I want out of it. I can have a new life without it. We all can!
Until next time. We wil all stay smoke free.

New and Determined Non Smoker
Sue
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 8:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue:

Go on the patch? If you have been off cigarettes for three or four days or more, then why go on the patch? The nicotine should be well out of your sytstem by then, so why would you use the patch?

Do whatever you have to do to quit, Sue, but I just question why you would need nicotine after it's already out of your system.

Tom

No more in 04!

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 8:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've been having lots of thunderstorms here, too, Sue (i'm in upstate new york, about 20 miles northeast of albany); sunday night was the worst one here - a tornado touched down about 15 miles away...

anyway, good to hear from you, and good to hear you've got plans in place.

you know we're rooting for you!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 10:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, Glad you are in touch with your Dr. I got no problem with the wellbutrin but I'm with Tom, the nicotine is out of the body in 72 hours why would you want to feed the addiction again? I am confused Confused Look this is your quit and you have to do what ever it takes. Glad you all are ok and come to the boards as often as you can. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 10:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU SUE. THIS IS THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE AS WELL .WE CAN DO THIS THING TOGETHER! THE PEOPLE ARE ARE WONDERFUL. I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE TRIED TO STOP SMOKING FOR THE THRID TIME IF IT WASN'T FOR THE SUPPORT!! KEEP YOUR CHIN UP GAL!!! Cool Cool Cool

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 11:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue,
I am on Wellbutrin and the patch as well. I just had my first "step down" to 14 mgs yesterday. Yea for me! hehe

The Wellbutrin was a life-saver for me. I used to cry and cry and cry - even the time I quit before with the patch. And I only had one really bad day this time. So Im very glad that Im using it. And with my insurance its only $6/month so very cheap compared to cigarettes. The only thing I worry about is that I will get addicted to it and have to take it for the rest of my life (this happened to my Aunt) but I figure thats still better and cheaper than cigarettes so its a risk worth taking.

And as far as the patch goes, its like everyone said - if the nicotine is already out of your system, if youre not gonna start it until next wk, then it doesnt make sense to use it.

But if you started it right away, like I did, then I think its useful as long as you realize that you will still have to go through the withdrawl after you get done with the patch (which for me is in 6 wks) because obviously your body will go from 7mgs of nicotine with the patch to 0 and although this is supposed to be a step down process, the end is still a sort of drop off if you ask me. So although, I may have 9 weeks of no cigarettes under my belt when I finish the patch, I will have to start at day 1 with the no nicotine aspect. And I think as long as you realize that and plan accordingly it will work out. Personally, I opted for this method because thats what my doctor prescribed and I have been treating myself for the past 7 years so you can see what good that did Sad Laughing

Read the stuff on whyquit.com about the patch and cold turkey quitting. And perhaps talk to your doctor again about either starting the patch right now or not starting it at all. She may not have realized that the nicotine would be out of your body in 3 days and starting the patch at day 7 wouldnt make sense.

Good luck and nice to meet you!
Dana
For what its worth - thats my 2 cents Smile I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 44 seconds (22 days). I have saved $160.66 by not smoking 803 cigarettes. I have saved 5 Days, 13 hours and 50 minutes of my life.
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 11:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue
Do whatever you need to do to get off the cigarettes. I think some very valid points have been raised, but if this is the plan that you and your doctor think will work for you then I say go for it. Does it really matter what road we take to freedom and long as we arrive. ANd I have found it is very helpful to use my doctor as part of my support system.
And it goes without saying we are here to help. You post anytime you need us. We are all in this together and remember you help us too.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: