quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cravings for other things..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 8, 2007 10:30 PM    Post subject: Cravings for other things.. Reply with quote

Do any of you have those days, where you don't know what you want, so you raid every cupboard in the house, and still feel unsatisfied?

The other day I didn't know what to do with myself, so I baked a chocolate cake. Well, I ate most of the chocolate cake, and I have to tell you I felt quite sick to my stomach after that.

Today, I've been hitting the cupboards again, and I'm like a garburator (spelling) eating everything in sight, not a whole lot of each thing, but enough to find that I don't want it, so I go on to the next thing..

I month quit, and no extra weight just yet?
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2007 11:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah, been there and done that!!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing And oh, just how insane it feels! Wink

I went through that one day and did the same thing....looking and searching for something to just quench that feeling of wanting something! Finally, I had a beer! (I'm not a big beer drinker, very occasional) And it hit the spot! Wink

Sometimes I wonder when we go through these type of spells if the body is looking for something as a replacement for the nicotine/smoke. Laughing Laughing Laughing Like the body is wigging out...saying...Got to have something as a fix.....WHAT! Laughing Laughing Laughing Looking for that substitute, maybe.

And no weight gain? Shocked I'm jealous!!!!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB

Last edited by Seabrez on June 8, 2007 11:06 PM; edited 1 time in total
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2007 11:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you're eating your cigarettes (i.e., eating when what you're really craving is a smoke); not only will this not satisfy the craving (as you already know), it will lead to problems.

whenever you want to raid the cupboards, stop and ask yourself, "am i really hungry? or do i really want to smoke? (or am i really feeling something else i'd rather not deal with, like: am i angry? lonely? bored? tired?, etc.)" if you're really hungry, eat something (maybe not an entire chocolate cake); if you're really craving a smoke, remind yourself why you quit, choose not to smoke, and go back to whatever you were doing; if it's one of the other things, you can deal with those without either binge eating or smoking, too.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 12:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb and Kevin, you are both absolutely right on. My craving for a smoke urge seems to be worse today. I just finished a Why I Quit Smoking List so I can refer to it during difficult times.

Deb, lol, I seldom drink but could always beg a beer from my husband. Only problem is, knowing me, I will probably end up smoking after that beer, so I better pass. Hey guys, there must be something to hold unto besides a pretzel to make this a little easier. By the way, I ate up all the pretzels!

On a serious note, I do know that I better not continue being a human garbage disposal. Right now, I could use a little weight, but hey, I won't be too happy if the pounds really start to pile on.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 6:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie,

Have a solution for ya....I used a cinnamon stick. Just like you're using that preztel stick...except you can't eat it Laughing

They're wonderful for those times you just want something for the mouth, and you can hold on to it also. Now, at first, it is rather dry, but once it's held in the mouth for just a bit, it's fine, as far as texture goes. Also, the cinnamon actually helps with the blood sugar levels and digestion. It has a hollow center, so it's possible to draw air in through it...like taking a drag on a cigarette.

Making that list is one of the best things you can do. Focusing on why we quit and all the benefits of quitt is one of the best defenses against giving into the temptation to smoke. Staying focused and not heeding those thoughts that want to drag us back into the smoking trap.

Good for you, Gracie!

Big Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 7:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie

In 11 days I have eaten 6 pounds of cigs. I knew I was replacing one with the other but didn't look at it that way. I guess I better ask myself if I really need those chocolate chip cookies (my weakness) or could I be satisfied with a couple instead of the whole bag. Very Happy

Becareful of the weight thing, my first quit I was eating like you did and three months into it BAM I got up one morning and about 10 lbs hit me. This time I can feel it just adding on as I sit here. Try an look for some healthy alternatives keep some vegetables and fruit cut up I find if its already cut up I will pick it before something else, if I have to cut it up when I'm hungry forget it.

Lisa
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 12:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb, I know what powdered cinnamon is, but where do you buy cinammon sticks?

Ibuz, did you put on the weight that quickly? Mmm..chocolate chip cookies...

Since I was a child I always had a fast metabolism, so I was one of those 90 IB weaklings drinking those awful weight gain products which didn't work for me.

The odd time, I will put on a pound or two, only to lose it down the road.
I find weight bearing exercises really help me not to look so skinny because they give me shape and tone. Because of FM, I am having to limit these exercises.
Right now, I am doing some stretching exercises, and maybe I will try to lift some light weights after that.

P.S. just because I can eat without having it show up as pounds, it doesn't mean that my blood sugar is normal? It's been up and down. I just had another test the other day, wonder what the test will show this time?
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gracie...

If you have blood sugar issues...the cinnamon stick would definitely help. It does assist in balancing the blood sugar level in the body. They can be found in the spice section of the grocery....where the ground cinnamon is found. Just look close and you'll come across it. It's packaged in a tall bottle, like bay leaves are. Usually it's under one of the major name brands....like McCormicks, etc. It can be a little pricey. Approx $4 a bottle here in Indiana. And amount of sticks vary...I like to look through the jar and choose a jar where the sticks are slim, not broken and have no jagged edges. Generally, I use a stick a day. Suck on it for awhile, and then stick it in my back pocket when not using it. (After it dries) As far as germs go....nothing grows on the sticks. I've used sticks and left it in my pocket...and on wash day, come across it in the jeans....the stick looked just like it did when I took it out of the bottle....no yucks. So one a day works.

Here's a link to an article listing 10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: June 9, 2007 2:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gracie

Lucky you. I have a stopped metabolism since I quick smoking I'm sure I'll even out after a while I just feel icky right now. I have to watch every pound or it can creep up on my I'm not overweight but I could loose 10 and be happy. I used to be able to eat like that, when I was in school all the girls would be "dieting" and they would give me all their junk food in their lunches to "fatten" me up. Never worked then Oh those were the days Laughing

Lisa
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: June 10, 2007 6:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Gracie,

You're doing such an awesome job! I, too, have eaten my cigs. Many pounds worth Shocked I know that I should not be turning to food (escpecially junk food) and I am starting to get that under control now. It's the addict in us that needs a fix of something. (Or at least we think we do...) The bottom line here is that you did not smoke.... that's something to be proud of! You go, girl!!

Anyway, speaking of metabolism... I'm starting to think that mine is taking an extended vacation... Rolling Eyes Wink

~nichole
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 10, 2007 8:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how are you all doing? it's been a bit of a rough weekend, but here I am. I have to confess that I had a little bit of a hard time containing the junk food this weekend but lit no cigarettes. I know it isn't all that far into my quit, but I don't think I've gained any weight? Hey, I probably lost due to my nervous anxiety. I know this doesn't compensate for the junk food, but I have a craving for vegetable juice and have been drinking lots of it?

Ibuz I've always been that way, I could eat an elephant under the table and not put on a pound. Come to think of it, I was bit of a hyper kid too.. Geesh! all that nervous energy and I didn't even smoke back then..

Nicole, atleast you didn't smoke, and even if your metab is taking an extended vacation, in due time you will probably get the Junk Food under control. It's gotta be easier than giving up smoking...or is it??????????

Thanks for supporting and encouraging me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: