quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Losing weight instead of gaining.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 16, 2007 4:19 PM    Post subject: Losing weight instead of gaining. Reply with quote

Little disappointed. Today I was trying some clothes on and noticed they were a little looser than usual. I stood on the scale and sure enough lost 3-4 lbs. This may not sound like much to some but to me it is enough since I have always been on the underweight side. I always heard that quitting will put weight on. Since I quit smoking I've been having my sweet urges and usually fill the craving, but when I think of it, I don't have much of an appetite for eating normal meals lately. Infact I've been eating very poorly and get in very few calories per day. I know I've been down lately, and just don't feel like eating. Guess, I have to try harder to eat properly to maintain proper weight. Today, I even asked my husband to help me. Has anyone else lost instead of gained?
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: June 16, 2007 5:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't I wish. All joking aside though have you had your thyroid tested?
Sometimes when people quit smoking it affects them in all kinds of ways, eating better will help you a little with the depression as well.

Lisa
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 16, 2007 5:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lisa, just had my thyroid tested, and don't go back to the Dr. for the results until the first week of July. You would think if there was something there he would have called earlier, but then again who knows with him? In the meantime I will try to eat better. It's a downer for me since I cannot afford to lose any weight!

Hey Lisa, if you have too much, I would be glad to take it from you.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 1:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie,

Sorry to hear you having eating problems. Some people will go on an anti-depressant after quitting if their depression gets too much. It's a thought. It takes about 2 weeks for the anti-depressants to start working.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 6:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie, I agree with everyone that depression can affect your appetite and it certainly isn't uncommon to feel down in the first few months after you quit. You might discuss this aspect with your doctor.

Another thought is...since you don't have much appetitie, make sure that what you DO eat is healthy for you. Don't fill up with empty calories. Perhaps eat four or five smaller meals -- fruit, cheese, healthy crackers, etc. Also, if you aren't already, walking can not only boost your appetite but your spirits as well.

Good luck!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 7:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie. I have plenty of extra weight I would be happy to donate to the cause!

All kidding aside, in addition to the other suggestions..... I have a problem with skipping breakfast - I just don't feel hungry in the AM and that causes other issues for me (not weight loss obviously, but other stuff). I keep protein shake mix on hand so I get a boost of protein and vitamins to start the day that way..if I'm not hungry for regular food.

Just another idea..

Beth
Day 111

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 2:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing on good nutrition is the way to go - and if you can add muscle with light exercise it will help the scales - think "good fuel" for the body - balance proteins, carbs and fats - whatever you do - don't go back to smoking - it won't put the pounds back on.....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 3:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mary, the thought had crossed my mind, but I'm hanging in there.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 17, 2007 9:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie!

Sorry you're having a hard time keeping weight on. Smokers tend to be breakfast skipper....ie...they tend to smoke their breakfast Rolling Eyes . After all, the cigarette would be like a force feeding with the blood sugar release. So, when we quit, we still tend not to eat breakfast. Anyway, do try and eat something in the morning. And the suggestion of several light or small meals, is an excellent idea. That way, you will get your nurtition, but not feel bloated from forcing yourself to eat a big meal...especially since the stomach is accustomed to not eating very much to begin with.

Hope you hear from the doctor soon. And the depression....walking does really help...whether it's a mild or more serious depression.

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
babysmoke

Quit Date:
June 28, 2007

PostPosted: June 28, 2007 3:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it must not be easy for you.... i hope that when i quit i'll lose weight... i hope the results from the doctors are good news.
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: November 3, 2007 8:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I guess I better update this thread. When I posted this I was a relatively new quitter so I lost my appetite, partly due to depression and partly due to the summer heat. Well, things sort of changed since then. Even though I still have some down days, summer is over and I have regained my appetite. I have put on weight, not all that much but it went straight to my waist line which doesn't make me jump for joy. I'm still hanging in there..
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: November 4, 2007 7:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gracie

It's been 5 months for me and I still have 10 lbs on my waist I cant get rid of. I'm trying so hard but nothing is taking it off. I know in time it will but getting close to winter here and all my pants are a little too snug. lol

Lisa
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: November 4, 2007 12:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, you quit just a couple of weeks after I did.

LoL, if your winters are anything like our winters it's cold and most people around here hybernate...well besides shopping and shovelling snow. I guess we can all go mall walking and buy bigger pants.

Putting all kidding aside, I know how you feel because I have the same problem so hang in there, I believe it's got to come off sooner than later.
dinadilo1

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 12:07 AM    Post subject: seen much crappy stuff to eat Reply with quote

Hi friends, recently I have seen much crappy stuff to eat and they say you will lose all your extra weight and yes I know of one like this and know someone who has lost weight doing it but guess what it got old and she didn’t keep it off so to me in my opinion it fails. What do you think?
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 12:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Woofmang!

Not sure....is it a particular weight loss program you're speaking of?

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: