quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

and back to the beginning...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 12:07 PM    Post subject: and back to the beginning... Reply with quote

well, i'm back down to day 2. i crashed and burned over the weekend. wanted just one while i was drinking friday night, which turned into 2 packs over the course of friday night and saturday. which is once again proving that i cannot drink so early on, which i knew, but for some reason i thought this time would be different. i had made it through a few times of drinking in the first week and a half with my boyfriend there, he's been a great support. friday was the first time without him there to keep telling me no and drag me out of the bar if need be (yes he did have to do that once last week Embarassed ). so i started again yesterday and i am not going out for drinks without him for a very long time. haven't told him yet, he's on the road for work, i'm going to wait till he gets back. he's trying to quit with me and i know he's smoking this week becuase of the driving and i don't want to give him an excuse to smoke more.

and melody i just read your post in the lunaversary section... thank you for your faith in me, even if i don't entirely deserve it. i have a good feeling about this one.

jenny
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 3:07 PM    Post subject: Re: and back to the beginning... Reply with quote

jlynn931 wrote:
well, i'm back down to day 2. i crashed and burned over the weekend. wanted just one while i was drinking friday night, which turned into 2 packs over the course of friday night and saturday. which is once again proving that i cannot drink so early on, which i knew, but for some reason i thought this time would be different. i had made it through a few times of drinking in the first week and a half with my boyfriend there, he's been a great support. friday was the first time without him there to keep telling me no and drag me out of the bar if need be (yes he did have to do that once last week Embarassed ). so i started again yesterday and i am not going out for drinks without him for a very long time. haven't told him yet, he's on the road for work, i'm going to wait till he gets back. he's trying to quit with me and i know he's smoking this week becuase of the driving and i don't want to give him an excuse to smoke more.

and melody i just read your post in the lunaversary section... thank you for your faith in me, even if i don't entirely deserve it. i have a good feeling about this one.

jenny

drinking is what prompted me to steal hits off my sis in laws smoke june 30th, after not having any for 8 days Sad
I havent drank much since then.
Good luck, you can do it, you were doing so well.....
I have a good feeling about this one too!! good luck!

My avatars name is moon ray

Last edited by pinkpearl on July 23, 2007 5:14 PM; edited 1 time in total
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 3:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, do you keep a list of why you want to quit with you?

I still keep the letter I wrote during my withdrawal in my pocketbook.

I wish I had quit when I was younger. Sending you good quit thoughts. Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 3:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pink. you would think i would know better by now, i've lost a few quits from drinking.
alleghany, that is a good idea... i think the problem is the main reason i want to quit is money. the other benefits are great, and i was starting to notice a few even after one week, but when i am smoking i don't really want to quit. i know that i need to for my health as well, but the reason that i am doing this right now as opposed to later is that i can't afford it anymore. i'm sure that doesn't help and really just makes it easier to justify going back to smoking when i am in that weakened state of drinking. and i know it sounds horrible to say that i don't WANT to quit. i'm hoping that the benefits will keep me with it, i do remember from quitting before that it felt great after a few weeks.

jenny
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 3:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlynn931 wrote:
thanks pink. you would think i would know better by now, i've lost a few quits from drinking.
alleghany, that is a good idea... i think the problem is the main reason i want to quit is money. the other benefits are great, and i was starting to notice a few even after one week, but when i am smoking i don't really want to quit. i know that i need to for my health as well, but the reason that i am doing this right now as opposed to later is that i can't afford it anymore. i'm sure that doesn't help and really just makes it easier to justify going back to smoking when i am in that weakened state of drinking. and i know it sounds horrible to say that i don't WANT to quit. i'm hoping that the benefits will keep me with it, i do remember from quitting before that it felt great after a few weeks.

jenny

I Love smoking when Im drinking. I know, its like I didnt even care...
If i wasnt worried about my health, I probably wouldnt of quit!
I smoked for about 27 years give or take, and that isnt good.
Everyone I talk too says they wish they would of quit when they were younger...including a lady i work with that has emphysema and athesma,I keep having to remind myself why im quitting!
Its bad for you and the money too, yes......
Lets stick with it together!

Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 23, 2007 6:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jenny -

Nearly every one of my relapses have involved alcohol. I wondered when I was going to learn from that - the second, fifth, twentieth time? This time I simply gave up drinking alcohol for six months. It's hard enough to stop smoking, why keep doing something that just makes it MORE difficult on you - especially when you're fragile in your early quit?

Make a list of those things that make staying quit more difficult and for those that are avoidable, simply avoid them for awhile. When I did finally drink again, I was so much more secure in my recovery that it didn't pose a big threat to a relapse anymore. Sure... not everything that is a risk to your recovery is "avoidable" - so you can really only help yourself by eliminating the temptations that ARE avoidable - drinking being a big one for most of us!

Whatever you choose to do, good for you for picking yourself up, brushing yourself off and getting right back on there! YAY YOU!

-Zuzu
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: July 24, 2007 7:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Jenny,

I didn't drink for about a month after I quit. Then, it was baby steps from there. I'd only drink at home (in a controlled enviornment), then I went out with a non-smoking friend for drinks. Then, I tried my hand at drinking around smokers, but only had a couple drinks. Last month, I went to a wedding with a bunch of smokers and drank and danced and had a ball! You know what? I woke up in the morning sooooo happy that I didn;t smell like disgusting smoke! I did have a headache and my feet hurt from too much dancing and did I make a toast at some point?? ..... but that's another story Very Happy

The point is, you may need to temporary alter your life now, but I promise all the things you loved to do before you can still do without smoking and they are just as great! Hang in there.... you're doing an awesome job!

~nichole
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: July 24, 2007 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. it's good to hear that it won't always be so bad. i actually have beer in the house, so maybe i'll try that for a while. i don't think that i can give it up completely, i'd never see have my friends! maybe drink something different when i'm out that won't go down as easily as beer! nichole, i can't thank you enough for your story. my biggest fear is that i will never feel normal in a bar again!

jenny
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: July 24, 2007 10:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlynn931 wrote:
thanks guys. it's good to hear that it won't always be so bad. i actually have beer in the house, so maybe i'll try that for a while. i don't think that i can give it up completely, i'd never see have my friends! maybe drink something different when i'm out that won't go down as easily as beer! nichole, i can't thank you enough for your story. my biggest fear is that i will never feel normal in a bar again!

jenny

I agree about not feeling normal in a bar!!
I dont go often here, in my hometown, but
we go to bars in chicago and other towns to
see bands.......
Although there will be no smoking in any public
place in Illinois starting january 1, 2008!

place starting January

jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: July 24, 2007 10:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no smoking in bars in mass for the last year! it's great (even when i was smoking). in the summer when the doors are open the smell comes right in though!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 24, 2007 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,

Girl! I'm gonna kick your butt!!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing You do whatever it takes to stay quit...and that includes laying off the drinks for awhile. Wink And you need to get a good resolve inside. Boyfriend is a great help, but you are quitting for you and the ultimate decision whether to light up or not is yours...you know that. Wink

It boils down to what is dear to you and what you treasure when making the decision to stay free. If smoking seems more desirable than saving money or staying quit because of boyfriend or whatever reason, then a person will choose to light up regardless. In order to make the decision to stay quit, it takes a core motivitation and reason that one treasures and desires more than smoking. Something, some reason that is so dear to you, that no matter what, you value that reason more than lighting that cigarette. That's the resolve I'm talking about. Jen, make a list of reasons to stay free and stick to it. You can do this!!! I know you can!

And the "don't want" to quit....know that one myself. I liked smoking. But, now, I see and understand what a deep lie that was also. But it wasn't until I found something, my own personal desire, that was greater and more treasured than the smoking, that I began to realize what a lie from the addiction it was...ie...the "don't want" to quit. Do some heart searching...you keep coming back to quit....there is a reason you are seeking to be free...and I bet it's more than just the money issue.

Love ya Jen....Big Hugs!!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: July 25, 2007 2:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jen,

Yes, you will feel "normal" again... even in a bar. Ole Laughing Demon shows himself from time to time, but every day that I don't smoke... that becomes my "normal". I see people smoking and it just looks gross I feel sorry that they "have to" smoke and I "get to" NOT!! Very Happy You'll get there.... just remember that it WILL get better!!

~nichole
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: July 25, 2007 11:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i definitely need a kick in the butt!! doing okay now. today kind of sucked and tomorrow is just going to be a long day at work, but i'll get through it!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 26, 2007 4:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny - glad you got right back to quit. Learn the lesson and move on...
I found it helpful to anticipate the rough spots and develop a strategy to cope with an expected challenge. The hard part is remaining committed to the plan - especially as alcohol affects our judgement. Choose your circumstances carefully and build up you tolerance slowly.... always remember - you have a choice... I am confident that you will get quit and stay quit....keep taking it one day at a time...

Do you keep a quit journal? It can really be helpful...and sometimes you discover insights that can help you with staying focused on the objective.

Out of time...keep it going girl...try a little positive self-talk...start seeing yourself as a non-smoker in different situations....

Neve quit quitting!!
PS...I'm drinking water by the 1.5 litter bottle full....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 8:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenny,

I saw your post and just wanted to let you know that I am with you ! You have received great advice here which I cannot add to but I want to say that I have struggled with quitting for awhile now so I am similar to you. I do think, though, the fact we keep trying has got to mean we are strong and REALLY want this! All the best to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: