quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moose's crazy experiment :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 2:07 AM    Post subject: Moose's crazy experiment :) Reply with quote

Will two packs lead big ol' moose back through hell (week)?

Let's find out.

I have smoked just under 2 packs of cigs today. I will find out tomorrow how bad my cravings are and be able to give you all a very good idea on how hard nico hits after just one relapse Smile

Couple of things I did to decrease my chance of going back comepletely is buying off brand menthol cigs. I hate menthol! I also did not smoke at my home, my car, my work or any other place i used to smoke. I am not interested in the mental withdraw, just physical, so i did my best i could to limit it Smile I did not smoke if I was craving a cig. I forced myself to smoke.

Please do not let my stupid idea here lead you back to smoking. My friends and I have come up with a system that will not let me go back to full time smoking. Please remember, i did not WANT to smoke , i had to force myself to smoke them.

Few things I thought was interesting was that the first cig tasted like crap and i didnt get any joy out of it what-so-ever. I was almost disapointed that the cig left me so, so, so uneventful Smile
By the 2nd pack smoking felt like an old friend had come back to visit me....his name was coughy mclunghurt. my lungs ached and i couldnt stop coughing. no wonder this shit kills you lol....

the 2nd cig all the way untill the end of the 1st pack gave my nico buzz. I guess that was the lil recpetors going nuts w/ me feeding my addiction.

If it's full blown withdraws i was thinking of using the patch so I could write something up about the difference and which one I thought worked best , cold turkey or NRT.

wish me luck Smile

Quit attempt #2!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 7:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, I'm going to be very blunt here....I think you have done a very stupid thing. If you want to smoke, why couch it in terms of an experiment? Why not just be honest and say you relapsed? I'm so sorry that you did this.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 8:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Moose, I don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything...

But quitting isn't some game! Addiction is serious and lives are at stake.

My two cents!

And what might work better for you cold turkey or the patch is a personal preference. Everyone is different and needs different methods to quit. What might work for one, wouldn't necessarily be the right method for another.

Ditto what Rusty said!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 1:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol you guys dont need to worry Smile

and ol' rusty, i'd tell you if i relapsed. No point in lying ya know?

The cravings are back. And i'm quite surprised but I can really feel nico-demon lying to me. The cravings are stronger than what I expected. I decided to go cold turkey agian due to the fact i've already beat nico once that way (plus its free Smile)

Quit attempt #2!
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 2:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose... you're a nut. I can't think of anyone in their right mind that would do what you just did... heh....but there you have it! Well, now you know for sure! I think there were probably times that I relapsed just to see what would happen

-Zuzu
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2007 2:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a dangerous game, moose, and you're bullshitting yourself that this was an "experiment"; it was the conscious choice of an addict to suck down poison to feed his addiction.

imagine a recovering alcoholic announcing that he's just bought and drunk a couple of six-packs as an "experiment"; we'd all know he was full of shit, just the same way we all know you're full of shit.

i know this is hard to believe at your age (because i remember being that age very clearly), but you are not immortal. stop kidding yourself.

cuz you ain't kidding anybody here.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 12:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what to say to this one. Confused

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 12:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always say good luck Smile

Quit attempt #2!
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 1:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well OK. Good luck.

BUT Got to ask. Why did you do that? What point besides smoking again were you trying to make. I see no point whatsoever, except an excuse to smoke again.

Do you think an off brand cigarette is going to decrease your chances? Smokers don't smoke for taste. They smoke because they have to. Give a smoker a pack of chocolate flavored cigarettes with no nicotine in them and I don't care how good they taste. Without the nicotine in them, I guarantee the smoker will not keep smoking them.

I didn't like menthols either, but if I bummed a cigarette off someone and it was menthol. I might have bitched to myself, but I smoked it down just the same. Why? Because even though it tasted like crap. It still relieved my withdrawal.

So you didn't smoke in all your usual trigger spots. Like your home, work, car or any other place you used to smoke. First off. What were you doing that you managed to smoke 2 packs without being in your usual trigger spots and that part of the experiemnt is actually backwards forwards.

You make it sound like you smoked because of certain trigger scenarios. When in reality those trigger scenarios were created because you smoked. Nicotine metabolizes very quickly and anything that you did as a smoker that took longer than 20 to 30 minutes (including doing nothing at all) would eventually get tied into smoking.

If I still smoked and went on vacation to somewhere that I have never been. Do you think that I would smoke less, because I wasn't around my usual trigger scenarios? Of course not, unless there was something that was forcing me to restrict my smoking. I would smoke about the same amount.

The problem with this part of the experiement is that even though you didn't smoke in your usual spots. You will have to re visit these usual spots as you're going through withdrawal again. How can you escape "mental withdrawal" or what is known as association triggers when this term is based off of revisiting situations that you used to smoke at now that you're not smoking?

LOL, don't worry. I'm not going to let your stupid idea lead me back to smoking. & what is this system that you and your friends have devised that won't let you go back to full time smoking? The only system I know of is to lock someone up, because we all have free will to smoke if we want to.

Of course the first cigarette tatsed like crap and you didn't get any joy from it. There's your moment of truth right there, that cigarettes don't do anything for you. Only to you. Well I guess the coughing proves that too.

That Buzz you were feeling. That was all the poison you were putting into your body. Luckily the body is an amazing machine and once again had to adapt to all the crap you forced into your body.

Those millions of receptors that smokers have. They aren't there saying "feed me, feed me, " like little gremlins. Nicotine is a poison that is almost twice as deadly as rattlesnake poison. As a defense mechanism the brain created millions of more receptors to more evenly dispurse that poison throughout the brain so as not to cause brain damage.

Until your brain started turning down it's own sensitivity to releasing dopamine. Those first cigarettes were also contributing to that "buzz" feeling. You know that feeling of feeling a bit dizzy. Kind of ill with a heavy feeling washing over the body, BUT HEY....

Luckily your brain remembered this from before. It still had all the hardwiring in place and knew exactly how to deal with all this arriving poison that you were forcing into your system. So within the 2nd pack. Your body adapted. Your brain started turning down it's own sensitivity to naturally release it's own dopamine and the buzz left you. So when you smoked the 2nd pack. Nothing really seemed to happen.

Wow that sounds familiar. It's called being physically addicted again.

So good luck!!!

Eric

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 7:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose there isn't one person on this board who hasn't been a part of your "experiment," it's called relapse....all of us have been there and done that.....we all know about the coughing and what it feels like to smoke the second pack.....and we all know about the withdrawals the next time you decide to quit.....we are all addicts or we wouldn't be here.....here's hoping you stay quit this next time.
Patty
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 1:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty129 wrote:
Moose there isn't one person on this board who hasn't been a part of your "experiment," it's called relapse....all of us have been there and done that.....

Patty, Isn't that the absolute truth! Wink It's nothing new under the sun...so how can it be an exiperment?

Kevin and Eric...your post's speak the absolute awesome truth!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 1:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for real. Question I'm still chuckling this is the absolute best excuse for a relapse I've heard to date. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The relapse by the way isn't funny I feel sorry for you but the excuse I give a 10.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 2:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, seriously, ouch. Not a single person took me on my word? I understand alot of the people on this board battle nico-demon all the time, and alot of people are tricked back into smoking. but thats not me. I have my own personal reason as to why I wanna beat smoking, agian.

I feel almost angry that someone would say this is an excuse or some other plot for myself to smoke agian. its not.

Quit attempt #2!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 2:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose200x wrote:
and alot of people are tricked back into smoking. but thats not me.

Oh really, tricked? There is no trick to it!!! It's an out and out choice one makes to light that cigarette. The trick part is nothing more than a person's excuse to smoke, a mind game rationalization to make them feel better about choosing to do something that they know deep inside is going to kill them, eventually....and that's the long and short of it. There are no tricks...just choices! And hey, you can choose to smoke if you want or choose to not! It's totally up to you. And if you want to go through withdraw again..that's up to you too! Moose, I hope you make it, but I've relasped enough times to know what it's like...and how it works and hooks. You are playing with fire, whether you want to admit it or not. And sometimes, people who play with fire get burnt. Like Patty said, we've been there and done that. It's nothing new!

Living in Freedom
Deb

jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 2:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,

I seriously think you misunderstand this board. You are writing about this experiment expecting us to support you through it when the whole purpose of this board is, and I quote from the top of the page "people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine". The purpose of this board is to support people as they continue the fight in their quit. What you've done is agreed to be part of something in order to see:
Quote:
...how bad my cravings are and be able to give you all a very good idea on how hard nico hits after just one relapse

I hate to say it man...but we could have told you this without you having smoked almost 40 cigarettes. You don't seem to understand. Whether you smoke 1 or 40, the cravings are the same. Ask anyone on this board. Once you let the nicotine back in after having been abstinent for over 72 hours (Please note, this is the amount of time it takes for your body to completely RID itself of nicotine), it makes no difference. You've completely undone all the cleansing your body did when you stopped. Plain and simple. Check the studies! There are numerous! You been to Whyquit.com lately? THE most fact filled site on reasons to stop smoking I've ever seen. You should take some time to read it. All the facts you need. It's motto: Never Take Another Puff. This is true for exactly the reasons I've just stated and I can't think of how many others...So, you will get no support from us on your "experiment" because it completely goes against everything that we stand for as a community of people committed to NEVER smoking again. We will ALWAYS be here for you when and if you decide to quit for good. But please don't expect us to think you're being a guinea pig for us on some fact finding mission. It don't work that way. We've ALL already been through it and back and is another reason we're still quit. We have NO intentions of going through it again!

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: