quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

will you help me design a quit-smoking course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 4:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

What worked for me and what were the important factors that helped me to stay quit.

1. Knowing that smoking is an addiction to nicotine. I didn't realize I was an addict until I quit and I was quite upset with anyone who said nicotine was a drug. Especially my kids.

2. Knowing what to do when we are going through hell. Deep breaths, suck on peppermint, keep going, work through it, act like it's a wave and it will pass if you ride it out, drink a lot of ice water, scream, cry, experience the emotions, get rewards, do something for yourself, get a new hobby, punch a pillow, let it all out etc....

3. Celebrating those milestones! It feels so great to be recognized for the success of the quit. One week, two, twenty two, etc...

4. Quit buddies & Support groups. Support groups are an avenue to meeting quit buddies. Quitting is something I did with a group of people actually on another support group. I STILL talk to a lot of those people almost daily and it's been over two years now. I also hear from many of them from time to time. In the beginning, we all kept each other going. Now we update each other on our lives. I've always said Quit buddies will save you from yourself time and time again.

5. Don't ever give up on yourself.

6. When we smoke we are enslaved to the cigarette. It controls us, our lives, our relationships, every aspect of our everyday living. Smoking dictates to us what we are to do. Being free of that is worth every bit of agony you go through in the very beginning.

7. Quitting doesn't happen over night. It took me almost a full year and a half to get through the quit and finally be comfortable.

8. I had a lot of issues with depression (still do) but once I sought help, i.e. counselor, doctor, medication... I was able to move forward. This didn't mean that I was or that I am weak. It means that I needed help because of a horrible addiction that hindered my emotional growth for over 20 years.

9. I have been a guest speaker for college courses on Crisis Intervention. In these speakings, I have talked about physical and mental abuse, Alcoholism, and smoking addiction. I have yet to walk away without feeling like the smoking was the most discussed of all the above.

10. An example to follow is very important. Someone who has been there done that and really truly understands. Someone who can relate to what we go through when we quit. Someone not afraid to be real and to share the raw emotions that go with the quit.

These are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it helps some.

Lady Smile

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 4:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kevin,

First of all, I can think of no one better prepared and qualified to devise and administer a class on smoking cessation.

The following are my thoughts and the things that aided me in quitting:

In the beginning, a journal. Being able to re-visit the emotions and concerns of the early days/weeks/months of the quit were extremely valuable.

Like so many others, I worked through the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking site modules. The association with others in the same situation was extremely helpful.

My exposure to other smokers was kept at a minimum for the first 3 to 6 months.

I did gain weight; about 30 pounds in 2 years. However, I determined not to worry about that (one thing at a time) and have been able to finally reach my desirable weight through diet and exercise. I’m afraid that weight gain concerns deter many a quitter from continuing.

I drank lots and lots of water, chomped on carrot and celery sticks, and sucked on cinnamon sticks and soda straws.

Woofmang was (and still is) the largest factor in my success. Being able to communicate with others in the same situation as I, I believe, has been the strongest factor for me. You and the wonderful people on woofmang are so approachable, sympathetic and helpful. It’s wonderful having a resource of communication where people are all going through the same problem together and are completely non-judgmental.

This sounds like a very interesting and challenging endeavor for you, Kevin. Best wishes from one of your “students.”

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
john

Quit Date:
August 25, 2005

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 4:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 I think the student needs to admit and be open with the fact that they are trying to quit.
They can't be afraid to fail. I remember the other times I tried quitting, I never told anyone so if I wasn't able to quit then no one knew I was even trying.
#2 The student needs support from loved ones and just as important from others who have quit or are also trying to quit.
#3 The student needs to believe that life will not be worse once they quit.
They had there own lives before they started smoking and will eventually get it back.
#4 Making a list of the reasons you want to quit and checking that list daily was helpful in the beginning.
#5 I would make sure they know most all that it isn't going to be easy,
but definately worth it. It's almost 2 years later and I still have some cravings.

Good Luck with your study and feel free to ask for anything else

John

REFUSE TO LOSE
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 4:46 PM    Post subject: home study Reply with quote

I did take a "home study" course to quit smoking. In a way I took it here and at why quit. -Wink Education helped me a lot more than anything else.

BUT there was an overwhelming bunch of stuff to go through in the beginning. I am of the opinion that the KISS theory is best (keep it simple & slow) - I think you could poll say 20 or so quitters or more, whatever, but long term people who have some experience to give their top tips that helped them cross over to the other side. If you get too carried away with some things some people will never finish the course.

There are several ways to "deliver" lessons that are really cool and can be made interactive with this chat board. I have created some really nice pocket size CD's (they're called business card CD's) and put resumes and catalogs and all kinds of things on them (they hold 60 MB and that's a lot). Interactive lessons could run similar to a web site but on their computer with the CD in their CD drive. They can even be made to auto run like program installation CD's do. They're very attractive with custom cover and inner layout. They mail cheaply and are not all that expensive to produce.....

The fact is, all smokers are smokers. Yes some may be old and some young and everyone is different but if you take a bottom line - people who have a thought at least of wanting to not smoke and make it the common thread you can make simple lessons and simple tip sheets that can help anyone and everyone.

Personally I gleaned many things from here and at why quit but there was so much of it I got overwhelmed sometimes trying to find the answer to one question. That's why I say keep it simple. It can be done, there's no need to go into deep detail about some things like pages and pages of pictures about what smoking can do to you..... minimum on that - why? because it never scared me that peopole died of smoking all around me when I was growing up - that factor was negligible for me and mostly is for everyone or we would never smoke.

Anyway... those are some thoughts from Texas on a hot sunny afternoon -Wink for whatever they're worth.... I'll help in any way I can Kevin - just let me know what I can do to help you. I have continued to want to pay it forward for my own quit and I shall never stop trying to help anyone who wants to quit. If there's anything I can bring to the table just holler.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 4:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin
I am not sure I can add anymore than what everyone else is saying. I know the one thing that kept me quit was my disgust of smoking and lots of will power. I guess I am one of the lucky smokers who in fact hated smoking. I see so many folks quitting and still stating how they miss their smokes. If there was a way to educate folks on how not to miss smoking or in some cases they put smoking on a pedalstill. That is thinking that will eventually kill a quit. We know that it is the addiction talking, but we must find a way to take the glamour out of smoking of a newly quit or soon to be quit person. There is no glamour in death from a smoking related disease. My best tool was me, I had the desire, I had to be strong, I am a preacher of will power. Without the will, the desire will loose. Of course, the knoweldge of the power of this addiction can add fuel to the desire thus enhancing the will.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.

Last edited by jimotter on August 6, 2007 6:27 PM; edited 1 time in total
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 5:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
Good to hear from you. I purposely didn't read anyone else's responses to this as I didn't want to get sidetracked. I will reserve the right to read them and follow up later!! Smile
My initial impression is that "study course" leads one to believe that possilbly knowledge is tantamount to desire which ,in my experience, was not the case. However, assuming anyone who would take such a course is already experiencing the desire to remove the horrid beast from the realms of their own existence than I think there are alot of tools that would be helpful as well as entertaining!
Number one is the use of choice in our lives. Gee, I wonder where I learned that? This simple idea has crossed over into so many other facets of my life it is amazing (thank you Kevin).
When I quit, my wonderful wife gave me a kid's beach bucket with a squeezable rubber ball, gum, Werther's candies, cocktail straws, toothpicks, juices, water bottles and more Werther's candies. I had to go to "werthermang.com" later!!!! This little package, especially that little ball, was essential to my hell week. I literally had torn up that ball after a month. But my biggest trigger was idle hands.
I think to encourage people to recognize their biggest triggers and prepare accordingly with some sort of goodie bag would help. I also think that the thought of reward systems and early scheduling of such is helpful. I know that a massage is something I NEVER get to do, dammit, and I scheduled one for my one month reward and I really wanted to get there and that helped. So operhaps some sort of planned reward schedule.
Kevin if anyone in the world can do such a wonderful thing as a syllabus for a quit smoking class it's you. I know that these suggestions seem meager but i went through FFS, as so many of us did, and that for me was the perfect agenda. I felt prepared physically and forewarned about what to expect. I knew I would only have the guts to try once and if I didn't do it right I would probably never try again, and thanks to God, FFS, you and the wonderful family we all have here I did it and haven't looked back for a really long time. It's good to hear from you keep in touch. And for the rest of you..... HEY!!!

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Thomas Fuller , M.D.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 5:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like everyone has said it all. I do know, though, that we had 4 students this year that really wanted to quit smoking. SOOOO the guidance counselor set up a person to come in and meet with them once a week. They met with her once and never came back.

I (being so bold and not shy to ask) asked the students why. They didn't relate to her because she was never a smoker. They needed someone closer to their age. It was more of a lecture than a support group.

BUT saying that, I realy think they did not have it in their hearts to quit. Their brain wanted to, but their heart said, "Hey your still young".

So I like what everyone has said. It is a choice, (I learned so much from you Kevin on that word "choice". Made a big difference on my quit!) And you can't have self pity. Plus, support, support, support. I do not know what I would have done if I didn't have this site.

I tried very hard to get the young ones on this site. I don't know if they browsed or not.

I'm really not much help, am I? I can see God is still working through you to reach other people regarding this addiction.

Yes, students really need to see smoking as an addiction. They really don't. They look at it as rebellion, socializing, keeping up appearances.

You are targeting the young generation, are you not?

Kevin, what ever you decide to do, I know God's hand is on it and it will succeed.

God Bless your time and research for helping others.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 5:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I apologize for being absent from this wonderful community for so long, my life has been in chaos for years? My husband is a smoker and above all this has been the most challenging thing to deal with during my years of not smoking. I too was a 30 plus year smoker at more than 2 packs a day and had numerous failed attempts to try to stop the madness.

I went on line and found FFS and joined the program after being smoke free for a few days, I had started my quest cold turkey and desperately wanted to smash everything and everyone in my path. I almost gave in and retuned to being a smoker so I could follow the program from start to finish, but found many had done as I did reached out in desperation after quitting. I followed the program as a stop smoker and was alarmed to find out I did not have a bad habit I was an addict. I believe that was when I decided I was making the choice to continue the program and chose each day not to be a smoker. Being an addict for me was a frightening realization.

In the beginning, I stopped looking at tomorrow and chose to stop only one day at a time. Later I tried thinking day's, weeks, now years.

When I was directed to your site and read all you had written about smoking addiction, I learned I was not alone, I realized the demon called nicotine would forever haunt me. Although as the years have moved on it is only whispers, I have to quiet. I also learned on your site it was my choice and no amount of wanting to quit for some one else could help, it had to come from inside me, a burning desire to learn to say no.

First I believe with all my heart you have to have the desire to quit, second you have to be willing to change your life style, you need a support group, this for me was my saving grace.

Knowledge was a key in my quit, I read everything I could about smoking addiction, and the horrible things we add to our bodies while inhaling this poison. I had to continue to tell myself everyday, "Hey, this is my choice, my freedom."

Reading about others how they struggled helped get me through the difficult times, and hearing about long time stop smokers gave me courage and inspiration.

Quitting smoking was the most difficult and rewarding thing I have ever done for myself, I remember to thank God I have not again fallen victim to the chains of being a smoker as of today. Knowing that everyday I wake up making the conscience choice not to smoke will be with me for a lifetime. When I feel "just one" would be ok, I remind my self I'll forever be just a puff from a pack, this I learned during all my failed attempts. I am a smoker who makes the choice not to smoke…that I can deal with.

Through this time of not smoking, I have death with the memories of a lost grandson, a stepchild that took her life, a near fatal roller over crash and now bankruptcy. Back surgery from a fall on the ice, selling all I have including our home and belongings. The most devastating thing I am facing now is the upcoming auction of all our possessions and separation from the man I thought I knew and loved. We are spitting up, him heading back north myself south. During this time of wait and anxiety, smoking has haunted me even in dreams. I remain a stop smoker because I learned while reading many of your "tales" smoking will change nothing except I'll be a smoker again.

I hope this helps Kevin, much of my life is sorrowful right now, learning to live in the now as I did while stopping smoking has aided me through this trying time.

Once you stop smoking, you realize you can do anything, face anything, and with faith take even painful steps when it would be easier to give up.

I also kept a journal and continue to do so even though not smoking hasn't much to do with my writings any more. Being a stop smoker while living with one is almost second nature now as I once thought I could never stop while husband smoked. By then I understood the addiction I knew this was my choice not his.

Quitting is a process, unfortunately no quick fix at least for me it was not, no magic pill, no blink your eyes and be a quitter. Your life changes and anyone wanting to quit must got through the process, desire to quit, finding help, support, and most important for me any way, knowledge.

Knowing it is possible and not nearly as difficult as one might think when contemplating a quit; it is in dealing with the life we live that is most complicated. However, that too can be accomplished even with shaky thoughts, bumps and mountains to get over, and fears that arise.

One day, one breath at a time and for me a hell of butt load of faith.

For the many friends I have been distant from please find it in your heart to forgive me, life got me down and I wasn't ready to bring others down with me. I will love reading responses. I miss everyone more than you realize and I thank God so many have been able to continue to say, "NO!"

Always a friend in quit, many reminiscing thoughts and hugs,

Sandy
(forever-"fightn4life")

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 6:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with many of the above posts. I am currently into my 3rd month, and I am still trying to find myself as a non smoker. I believe working on this area may make a difference whether a smoker is permanently successful in their quit.

Personally, I think most Quit Smoking sites put the emphasis on the first 3 days, the nicotene widthdrawal phase, but don't offer nearly enough support beyond the nicotene withdrawal stage. The thought that some smokers get from this kind of thinking, is " oh, if I can only get through the first 3 days then I'll be free" It's not so easy, there's a lot more to it! Think of it, some of us have been long term smokers, we have many years of HABIT to overcome. In a way we are probably more addicted to the habit of smoking than the actual smoking itself. There can be a whole lot of struggle and grey area during this phase. Psychologically some of us are left in QUITTERS LIMBO. Maybe time heals this, I don't know?

All of us progress through these different phases, and move on from one to the next I believe each needs an unique help of it's own.

What stands out most when I first quit smoking, it was the encouragement and hugs of others that got me this far. It was the POSITVE encouragement. I wasn't helped by the negative scare tatics and gorey pictures of diseased lungs that I seen with some Quit Smoking Programs.. These kind of tatics made me feel bad and defeated. It made me smoke more.

I found this site helpful and positive. It helped to hear of others tell of their quitting experience, this includes the struggles and weaknesses of others. In this sense we connect with one another. The last thing a new quitter needs is to hear the self righteous view of someone who's never been there, telling a smoker how bad it is for them and telling them they need to quit or else. One has to be real to be believed. I found a release of my own pain when I read of others struggling. Kind of made me feel that I wasn't alone and we were all in this together, and we would make it if we hung unto each other for support.

Just my opinion...carrying on the journey

Last edited by Gracie on August 6, 2007 7:24 PM; edited 1 time in total
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 6:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev, what great answers you've received! I am going to think on this for a few days and get back with you. Good job!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 7:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, I wish i could be of some help but the only thing that got me thru was prayer and you guys. This forum. Just sharing and reading what was happening to other people was HUGE. I was not alone, and there were so many kind people that helped me thru the bad days. I believe the biggest componenet was wanting to quit...I really wanted to quit. I read alot about the addiction and the effects it was having.....knowledge was also crucial. I think all this was said already, but I wanted to respond. Thanks...Peggy

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 7:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin

I apologize if I duplicate anything here but wanted to respond before I read the others. What I needed to quit smoking were two major items

1. Support - somewhere where I could go to vent, laugh cry whatever with others who knew exactly what I was going through.

2. Distraction - Realizing that even though my body was going through its own hell that if I could keep myself busy with other things it would get me through the worst part.

What I needed during a relapse was sheer will power.

My sister died at 33 from lung cancer you think that would do it? (it didn't) The answer has to come within yourself, I believe that before you can successfully quit you need to really figure out WHY you want to, and not the standard answers either the one that makes you want to change your life forever. Whether it be on post its around your house or written on your hand you need to get it down and hash it out until there is no more question about it.

I went to stop smoking seminars and courses - had they met every day I might have been more successful, not once a week.

The pictures and stories on WhyQuit seemed to impact me a lot!!!

And last but not least if you do relapse and that needs to be addressed you need to try and try until it sticks no matter how embarassing (as I felt coming back here with my tail between my legs) Never quit quitting no matter what!!!!

Lisa
MarT

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 8:21 PM    Post subject: I need your help Reply with quote

Here's a few suggestions as to what would help a person quit smoking and stay quit:

- read all you can about the dangers of smoking - the effects of long-term
smoking on the body

- accept that cigarette smoking is an addiction and the addiction will be
with you forever; the only way to control it is to not smoke

- realize that the psychological aspects of smoking are very strong and
need to be addressed; substitutes for smoking have to be used in order
not to fall back into the habit of using smoking for every emotion/event
that happens in life

- know that, sometimes, you will have to just grit your teeth to get
through strong triggers

There's lots more to quitting smoking and staying quit, but these are some suggestions off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

Marlene
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 8:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey kevin-

happy to reply, let me give it a little bit of thought and will be back in touch soon

Wiley
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your responses, everyone! and thanks especially for the encouragement; i really appreciate it! Smile

one thing that several people have said is that they don't know if they can add anything new, but that's not really the point; after all, the preacher said "there's nothing new under the sun" over 2,000 years ago.

what i'm looking for are recollections of what helped you, and ideas about what might have helped you if you'd known it when you were trying to quit (or trying to stay quit); there are no wrong answers.

i'm also very interested in your opinions about what features an effective quitting course might have, and how those features might best be presented to engage the student and make it easier to learn and internalize the material (several of you have mentioned ideas along these lines already).

once again, thanks for your help here; i look forward to reading the continuing discussion.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: