quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

will you help me design a quit-smoking course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 9:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

You've gotten so much great info from everyone...I don't have much to add.

For me what was key after 25+ years of smoking was knowledge that I was an addict...this wasn't merely a habit.....knowing I had a choice...and finally an attitude of stubborness that I wanted it gone....I was going to be stronger. This worked for me.

Also taking one day at a time....it became doable that way.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 9:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
As Im going to quit on Aug 10th. One of things that made search for help was how to go about quiting. What i needed to do to prepare myself. I have found by the daily connect with your site has had a tremendous affect on me. I only wish it could be live (like instant messenger). I am one of those people that has to quit. not because I want too. I have been looking at all the infor that this community has provided. But the line is have too and want too. I believe that a program that explains both sides physical and mental addiction would really help. Also that everyone quits differently (with meds, cold turkey, cut down, acupunture, and so on) no right or wrong just so long as you do it!!!!!!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
cherkohn

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 10:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

I have been quit now almost 3.5 years. Often people ask me what helped the most. And I always say:

1) The lessons from the american cancer societies web site. I think this was really a good start
2) The support group at woofmang. I always say that quiting smoking was a full time job for me. When I wasn't working, I was constantly at the message boards - at least reading, sometimes contributing. But it was great to have the support - to see that others were going through the same things as I was. And I gained a lot of insights from other on the boars
3) Some of the scientific evidence presented at whyquit.com. Specifically, the discussion of how one puff would wake up the nicodemon. I realized that there was no such thing as a decision to have just one puff. It was no cigarettes or back to 2 packs a day.
4) My mantra was "I will not quit quitting". I really was not smoke free for 2 weeks after my declared quit date. Every day I broke down and had one - but I did not quit quitting. I just added things to my arsenal. I did the support group online, I did hypnotism, I did the patch. I was prepared to continue adding strategies until it worked.
5) I think a buddy system would be very good for your class. The online support group supported that.

I just quickly typed this up before i read the other replies because I did not want to skew my thinking. Now I will read the other replies and may add more. But I just wanted you to know that your support group was essential to my quit. Thank you.

Cheryl - Free and Healing for Three Years, Four Months, Twenty Two Days, 13 Hours and 54 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 172 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 49583 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $9,134.48.
chig

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 11:05 PM    Post subject: Home Course Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

The most important feature for me would be the psychological aspects of smoking. The brain chemistry is altered to need nicotine. We become psychologically dependent. I was fully convienced that by three months into my journey, that I would go for days and not think about smoking. Boy! was I wrong. It is constantly on my mind; it has done a number on me, changing the brain chemistry. I'm just not going to admit that there are some things that God's power can't do. It is important that we pray for each other, and meditate on God's Word.

Your site has been very helpful. God bless you for your efforts to help others... Smile
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 11:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the things that helped me was why quit .com and american lung association. Also being able to have the support of freinds here on line so perhaps a putting the link to here or again American Lung association would be helpful.

Also the little tips an tricks such as suckers or cinamon sticks, staws, even chewing up the eraser on a pencil anything that keeps the mouth busy and allows you to mimic the action of a cigarette.

I found it helpful to chew gum and keep my hands busy with crocheting, or some other craft.

walking, jogging, reading a book, watching tv or anything that you didn't do when you smoked that doesn't remind you that you did smoke. And everything that everyone else has said.

Other then this I don't have any other ideas or suggestions.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 11:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, Great idea! Some of the things that helped me the most in the very begining were. Nicodemons lies. I think it was real important for me to confront the lies I told myself. It also helped me to change everything in my life associated to smoking. Ideas on how to do that were helpful. Education on the addiction itself was helpful.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Genevieve

Quit Date:
February 6, 2008

PostPosted: August 6, 2007 11:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I am just 9 days quit. I was smoker for more than 50 years. Scared of quitting.

What has helped me is knowig that first it is an addiction.....Knowing that 72 hours and the nicotine is mostly out of my system,...also recognizing that the urge to smoke only lasts a few minutes, I and can do something else to pass the 3 minutes

Next is dealing with the psychological. I have put signs all over the house, so when my mind gives me a smoking picture ( it really comes in the form of my sitting and relaxing with a cig) ..I look at my posted signs (MY CHOICE NOT TO SMOKE) Thanks Kevin for the mantra...

I also believe that enterfacing on a daily basis with others, who know what I am going through... Lets me know that I am not alone. Also support from long term quitters gives me encouragement......

I have tried to quit in the past, ...The difference this time is that I have the tools to use and I see my smoking as an addiction to a drug called nicotine.

Keeping a journal, it was recommended, is a useful tool. Reading my reasons for quitting, wariting each day, my thoughts, keeping my focus, taking one day at a time.

One more thing, staying postive is also a good tool, playing music helps to lighten the journey, or just posting here..

Genny

P.S.

I want to add that 30 years ago I attended a STOP smoking class. Did not stick, Why? Very littler interaction with others in the class. Treated smoking as a habit that would pass in 21 days. all you had to do was delay having the first one.

Did not give info on what was happening to me as I quit the nicotine.

Now I know it is Knowledge and how it is presented (making it personal) hearing others tell their stories of their journey, this helps in this process of quitting.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 3:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it'd be everything that I focused on in my first and most successful quit to date.

1 - the theory behind the fact that the cigarettes control you. the fact you're gainign not loosing soemthing by quitting. The fact that you dont "need" a ciggie, you just think you do because teh nictine is tricking you.

2 - I would avoid any mention of god (Often people do turn to their faith, which is great if it can help them but if I heara group talking too much about thanking the lord of giving them their second chances...well, I tend to find it a little disturbing adn worry it's some sort of cult.

3 - I would suggest some options for stress. That is my main trigger and the reason I recently failed (Am back off now). I find we all need extra support in time when our triggers are firing on all cylinders.

Hope
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 6:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would the course have in it? (what features would it contain?)

The main feature here would IMO need to be to deal with depression. It is a huge part of the first year. The course needs to address that those feelings become almost self induced in order to feed the excuse to smoke again. This is an observation and not to be taken for facts. I was my sisters Quit buddy this year and she failed to hold onto her Quit as she completely convinced herself smoking keeps depression at bay. How can this be from a rationale stand point? Next smoking is a want not a need nor is it a have to have. It will not sustain life.

how would it be presented to the student?

The student needs to know the course is a tool only to aide in their Quit but the actual work is all the responsibility of themselves this is not a 100% unless they are willing to give 200%

how would it be delivered to the student?

The delivery would be a hard one as we all know each individual reacts differently.For me personally I would prefer to deal with Quitting as having no options of turning back. If I was at this point I wouldn't want to hear about all the stumbling blocks but concentrate more on the benefits. That's just me though there is a whole other side to that.

how would it keep the student engaged?

Have some things available to show improvement on lung capacity. Speakers would be good especially if you can get maybe someone from the health care profession as well as some successful Quitters so to keep the class focused on the positive. Also skin care professionals and why not a reward like a facial or something. Even a detoxifying spa session. Hubby goes so men can do it it's just the first time that's scary.

how would you know whether or not it was working for the student?

Much like here if they go missing it isn't working. Focus on the Quit and keeping it out front is what will make it successful.
My Opinions Only Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 8:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried patches they made me sick so I smoked again any excuse there was I'd have found one not to quit until one night I'd had enough I really didn't even like smoking & was living in fear I'd die of lung cancer/heart disease so after Smoking for nearly 30 years & one night after seeing a programme on lung cancer I thought my denial of smoking related illness was ignorant so I surfed the net (found woofmang's site !! Smile ) & what really got me was http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Noni.html among with all the others that believed smoking would never effect them , all smoking any smoking for whatever amount of time is playing Russian Roulette.

1 -The smoker has to Want to quit 110%

2- Be aware that nicotine withdrawal is nasty & the brain can trick you into lighting up.Depression is HUGE so be ready for it & know a cigarette will not help.

3-Have a support network ready before the quit date.Drink lots of water!!

4- Don't avoid going out as better to learn to cope with encountering persons who still smoke, but at the same time don't be around smokers for the sake of it.

5- Learn to say 'I Don't Smoke' 1st few days into my quit I had t meet a smoker friend & the first thing she did was offer me a cigarette even though she knew I had quit.....I just said 'I don't smoke' & I got through the night with a smile on my face (I was dying inside though I can laugh now)

6- Look at a cigarette as a fish hook in the mouth as they get you hooked on nicotine & why be a slave to nicotine?

7- Take up Yoga preferably one that you sweat a bit & see a nutritionist so you can get help with eating habits so you don't end up overdosing on sugar example I went nuts with fruit & stacked on weight thinking it was ok .....but it's all about moderation.

I can't think of much else I quit because I was sick of smoking plus so many friends quit & started again I refused to be like that I wanted to quit once & once ......believe me quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done but the most fulfilling I remind myself every day of the first 5 months of how I wanted a cigarette-the tears & temper fits when really it's just one nasty addiction that can be overcome with sheer willpower & strength along with a support group 24/7.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 8:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I wanted to add. When I did this quit this time, I wanted to hear positive things. That there was hope. That it wasn't too late. I knew all the bad stuff of what smoking did. I wanted to hear how my body was improving and healing. It was my goal. That helped me keep going.

1) Here is what smoking does
2) Here is the choice YOU make. Freedom or Slavery
3) Here is what will happen to your body when you quit
4) Here is how you might feel emotionally
5) Timetable of when these things take place.
6) Positive imput, Encouraging words,

Hope this helps!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 8:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Londa - I'd like a time line of how my body heals. How after 3 days the carbon monoxide has gone down, how after two weeks my blood pressure is better, how after 3 months the xxx has improved, how after 10 years I am almost like i've never damaged my lungs.

all things like that are great. I'd love to see a list and feel like I was really getting somewhere.
Some people feel physcially better when they stop, some dont notice anything. It'd therefore be great to know exactly what good you are doing yourself inside.

Hope
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 9:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought: I think something that would have helped me was having a structured exercise to do every day for a few weeks, maybe even a month. Probably a combination of things such as something to write, some mental exercises, some physical exercises, just something to do rather than sit and think about trying to not smoke. After all, look at all that free time you have when you quit. I tried to make up my own, but I would have liked having someone make suggestions.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again to all of you! and please keep the discussion going; there are so many good ideas here! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
merry

Quit Date:
August 15, 2003

PostPosted: August 7, 2007 9:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I could never have quit without the ALA program and after it became less user friendly, then your site. Here is where I lived during the first year of my quit. Even now, there are times when I come back to read and reinforce my quit. Other things that worked for me:
- Education about addiction
- My mantra - "one puff away from a pack a day", never take even one puff. It's all or nothing for me.
- Carrying my list of reasons I quit
- Rewarding myself for the milestones
- Staying away from alcohol and people who smoke during the first couple of months
- Realizing that quitting was like going through a period of grief....same as a death...it took a full year of doing everything smoke free that I used to do with a smoke. AFter that was truly when I believed I could stay smoke free.
- Smoking will not change the results of the event happening to you at the time you think you HAVE to have one!
- Keeping my hands busy. For me, it meant getting out the cross stitch that was waiting to be finished.
- For those who are using an aide to help them quit (i.e. the patch). They need to be totally aware that they will still have withdrawal symptoms once they stop the patch. That was a surprise to me one of the other times I tried to quit.
- Praying - I don't consider myself a religious person, but I did grow up in a strict Catholic upbringing. Someone who I knew quit many years ago once told me that she gave it up to God and that's how she quit. I didn't understand that at the time, but I never forgot what she said. Then one day when I was so angry and ready to pull my hair out because I wanted a smoke so bad, I understood what it meant. I asked God to help me through the urge and relented to the fact that I couldn't do this alone. That was 4 years ago and I'm still living a smoke free life. To some this may sound silly but there will be someone who will do as I did and remember it.

I still, very rarely, want a smoke but I know I don't want everything else that comes with that ONE smoke so it all goes back to never take that first puff.
Good luck with your class. I'm sure it will be great as you have done such a fantastic job with this website and all of us who have succeeded with the support received here.

P.S. My husband finally quit smoking 5 months ago, after a 4 night stay in the hospital with congestive heart failure. I guess it was the scare he needed! He started his quit using the aide, Chantix, for a couple of months. I'm so proud of him!

Mary
Q/D: August 15, 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: