quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

will you help me design a quit-smoking course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sojourner

Quit Date:
April 13, 1998

PostPosted: August 26, 2007 4:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the trueth my doctor told me that he would see me in another 6 motnhs for another breathing treatment. He just knew I couldn't quit and he was banking on it. I threw my smokes into the garbage can right there in front of him and havent had one since. I suppose the thing that most folks need is the motivation it takes to get the job done. If there is anyway in the world to give folks the "Want To" it would be the biggest help of all.

For all the world to know we are all together in this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvette65

Quit Date:
December 8, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2007 11:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, what was helpful to quit smoking was the folllowing:

Reading & doing the exercises on the American Lung Assoc. site. This was good to start preparing myself. Something similar but updated and not so cheesy would be helpful. The process is helpful.

What was really helpful was reading postings on your site, hearing from others about what to expect throughout the process so I could have realistic expectations. To be able to access the site 24 hours a day was great. The support from the site was invaluable.

I took a short class at a local hospital to also support me in quiting. The info was helpful too. But the thing that was most helpful was that everyone quit on the same day. I could have put it off for another day and yet another day, but I didn't want to be the only one in the group who didn't do it. Positive peer pressure. The person who taught the class also called during those first few days to see how it was going. That was nice.

I did a hypnotism session. Although it didn't totally take the cravings away, I believe it took the edge off. It was helpful to me.

When I actually quit smoking, I had to be addicted to other things for awhile. Chamomile tea & vitamin C drops. But it helped get me through it. I had to just occupy myself with whatever. I crocheted a bunch & my house was cleaner than ever. What was really helpful was to tell myself over and over that smoking was no longer an option.

The following is just my opinion:

The ideal course should contain some questions like on the American Lung Assoc. site. It is the process of it. To get one's mind thinking. Then it would be nice to read opinions of others about what was helpful to them. Hearing others opinions is good because it not only gives you good ideas but it lets you see that others were able to quit too. The course could be online or in print but it should definitely be linked up to this site because of the support here. About keeping people engaged. I think that they are either interested or not. To find out how it is working for the student conduct an anonymous survey.

I hope this is helpful.

p.s. for motivation getting the results of a CAT scan of my lungs worked for me.

Last edited by Yvette65 on September 9, 2007 5:20 PM; edited 1 time in total
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2007 2:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to respond to this thread; i've read every answer and i appreciate them all. i'm saving copies of all these pages in a folder on my computer with the other materials i've gathered (and continue to gather) as i work on the course.

please feel free to add more replies. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 8:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to respond to this thread; i've read every answer and i appreciate them all. i'm saving copies of all these pages in a folder on my computer with the other materials i've gathered (and continue to gather) as i work on the course.

please feel free to add more replies. Smile

so how is this going kevin?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 11:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's going really well, pink - it's initially going to be offered as an interactive online course, with audio, video, and text components that will be available both through its website and as downloadables (for instance, the audio components of the course will be made available as downloadable mp3s, so students can burn them onto cds or load them onto their ipods and listen to them anytime/anywhere).

after doing whatever tweaking is necessary (based on student evaluations), it may be offered in an offline form, but i don't have any real vision at this moment of what that might be. right now, i'm concentrating on putting together the course, and the accompanying site, and intend to launch the first "class" in time for the new year.

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 14, 2007 11:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
it's going really well, pink - it's initially going to be offered as an interactive online course, with audio, video, and text components that will be available both through its website and as downloadables (for instance, the audio components of the course will be made available as downloadable mp3s, so students can burn them onto cds or load them onto their ipods and listen to them anytime/anywhere).

after doing whatever tweaking is necessary (based on student evaluations), it may be offered in an offline form, but i don't have any real vision at this moment of what that might be. right now, i'm concentrating on putting together the course, and the accompanying site, and intend to launch the first "class" in time for the new year.

Smile

Congratulations! Your very ambitious and great at helping others, I know that first hand Smile
I thought maybe you were going to have class at a college or even highschool, I really didn't know.
The community college in my area has lots of classes that are not taught by teachers with actual teaching degrees. Then again, maybe that isnt something you would like to do.......
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: January 10, 2008 7:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get it up and going kevin?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 11, 2008 1:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i'm sorry to say that i missed my goal of a new year's 2008 launch, pink; there turns out to be a lot more to do than i'd originally thought, and i had less time to work on it than i thought i would. i'm still working on it, though.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: January 11, 2008 11:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
no, i'm sorry to say that i missed my goal of a new year's 2008 launch, pink; there turns out to be a lot more to do than i'd originally thought, and i had less time to work on it than i thought i would. i'm still working on it, though.

We cant make our goals all the time kevin... Very Happy
Im glad to hear your still working on it.
There is no doubt in my mind that you can
help many (more) people.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 11, 2008 11:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the encouragement, pink; i appreciate it! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
motorcyclewoman

Quit Date:
March 10, 2008

PostPosted: April 20, 2008 2:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

I quit with the help of a coach, we were with 15 people (that's the maximum), there were 6 sessions, each one lasted for 2 hours. If you're ready to begin with your own, I would be happy to help you out and let you know how we do it here in Belgium! Wink

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
matta89

Quit Date:
January 1, 2013

PostPosted: January 7, 2010 8:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news of this Kevin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 9, 2010 11:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's still in the works, matt - but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 10, 2010 12:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

but its still cooking - right? Simmering a little??

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 10, 2010 1:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it's still simmering... Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: