quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8 hours now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 6:37 PM    Post subject: 8 hours now! Reply with quote

Now it has been 8 hours!
I really appreciate the replies and information that you have sent- it really helps to feel like people are rooting for me out there- and that the people have been through it or are going through it means even more.
My husband and I just went to a couple of stores and when we got back to the car after shopping I had the worst craving yet. I'm sure there will be many more things like that- but at least now I know to look out for that particular one.
The rest of the weekend I can do whatever I want- which will make it easier. I'm concerned about getting back into regular life Tuesday or Wednesday (considering calling in sick on tuesday if I'm not ready)- where I can't control the stresses. I can do it though- i just have to keep telling myself. You all have done it!
Now- please keep your fingers crossed that the storm headed my way doesn't blow my house over- that is a little more stress than I can handle right now!! we have a tornado watch right now until 7 at least. Anyone else in Illinois?

Cathy
Calliemae

Quit Date:
May 3, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 7:32 PM    Post subject: Great Job Reply with quote

Great Job Cathy on 8 hours quit. Not in IL but close by and haven't heard of tornado wathc yet, but sure is still and eerie out. This week-end is the pits. Keep yourself busy this week-end or sleep it the perfect time for that I did it yesterday. Needed it. You will do this

Lisa
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 9:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy, Congrats on the 8+jors quit. Let's see it is a bit after 9pm here you are soon coming up on 12 hours. Wahooooo! YOU are doing great. As far as stress is concerned have you read Nicodemons Lies yet at whyquit.com?

You all should be here in FL nothing but beatiful days. hehehehe Laughing

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 9:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both!

Yes- coming up on 12 hours now- I can't believe this is me saying this!!!

Whoa this has been a tough last couple of hours though. Our power went off and a tornado was reported about 3 miles from our house. We don't have a basement and so my husband and i were hunkered down in a little hallway between rooms with our four cats (who were unhappy about their limited mobility and yelling the whole time). A little too stressful! This was more than I needed that's for sure-and even when the worst of it passed with no power my whole list of "things to do instead of smoke" was out the window. I managed to hang in there somehow and now we have the power back on.

I do feel that my patch is losing its potency- I've been a lot more irritable and have stronger cravings now. I wonder if i could cut just the tiniest little bit off another patch.. well i better not... i guess i should just be grateful that i have any patch at all.

Speaking of Florida- we were just there! We went to Panama City Beach for a week and then camped for 2 days at Ft Pickens. It was really great- I we are already hoping to have a return trip at the end of summer.
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 9:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

also tammy- i did visit the site whyquit... however I didn't feel as much as i belonged there due to the strict cold turkey approach there. However, i read the "nicodemon lie" you posted in a different post and I really liked that so I think i'll try to go check those out. I remember there was a lot of good information on that site
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 11:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're doing great, Cathy - keep it going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 11:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy
Have you done any program to prepare you for this quit. YOu mentioned your list of things to do instead of smoking, so I was just wondering. I have a couple of suggestions for those strong craving.
Cranberry juice. It was a life saver for me. I am not sure why, if it is the strong taste or the bitter after taste or what, but I sure decreased the intensity of the cravings for me.
Drink lots and lots of water, that flushes the system. And it helps the cravings at the same time
Deep breathing. Breath deep as you can through your nose....hold your breath while you count to 5 and then slowly exhale through your mouth. do this until you feel your body relaxing. I think cravings are very stressful and we need to try relax through them.
Experience the craving. Think about what you are really going through. It is uncomfortable for sure. You body is screaming for nicotine for sure, but you are not hurting physically, you are not having anything happen that is life threatening,,,,it is just a very uncomforable feeling. AND IT WILL PASS. Every time you do not give in to the crave, you will get stronger. and you will learn more about what works for you. The more ammunition you acquire for yourself, the less potency that nicotine will have on you. STAY STRONG. I know it is hard....very hard at times, but you can do this.
We are here for you. Keep up the good work. You are strong. Remember that....you are stronger than that cigarette.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL

Last edited by Carol on May 30, 2004 11:55 PM; edited 1 time in total
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 11:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job! Without the first day, there can not be a second! Keep up the great quit!

Joshua

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 22 hours, 50 minutes and 53 seconds (14 days). I have saved $67.28 by not smoking 448 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 13 hours and 20 minutes of my life.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 31, 2004 12:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cathy,
I am in Ohio. We have had several tornado watches, and a couple of warnings, but not for my county. It rained earlier, but it was storming a short time ago. My power went off briefly. Ironicaly, I had been to see a friends house earlier that had sustained some severe tornado damage on Friday. It was an old house that had been in her family for years. She and her husband had done a tremendous amt. of restoration. 90% of the roof was gone! They raise and show Llamas. Two of the outbuildings were destroyed, but the animals are OK. I am glad you, your husband, and the cats are alright. Gives one reason to count blessings.
Congratulations for staying smoke free! I know times like you just had try your resolve, but you held firm. GOOD FOR YOU!

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: May 31, 2004 12:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody
Carol- I have kind of been following the FFS program- as far as the list of other things to do, saying goodbye to cigs and what not.
I didn't find the site with the program until just a couple of days before my quit date so I couldn't do all of it- but I read through the modules.
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 31, 2004 4:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Northwest IL...it's awful cloudy here now and we've had storms off and on today. We had to cut our camping trip short this weekend due to the storms Sad
We're all here for you if you need support or encouragement! I'll be rooting for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: