quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

State of Mind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: August 27, 2007 11:41 PM    Post subject: State of Mind Reply with quote

A little over a year ago I had a conversation with my mom and my uncle about smoking. My mother has lost virtually all of her teeth to smoking and my uncle had a heart attack about 8 years ago and was told to quit. He quit for about 6 months and then went back to smoking. Now he smokes with an oxygen pump in one hand and the cigarette in another.

My grandmother had 2/3rds of one lung removed due to smoking and quit immediately when I was a teenager. She died of a stroke later that year. My grandfather had a 3rd heart attack and decided to quit smoking. He died of another heart attack later that year. These are the parents of my uncle and my mom.

My mom and my uncle both said that 'quitting smoking will kill you'. I was shocked! I couldn't comprehend it and we debated it at length. They believe that their parents died because they quit smoking.

When I quit, I had to stop talking to my mom for a long time. Each time I would struggle she would tell me to smoke and I would feel better. Once, she even called me in the middle of the night and said she was so worried about me and begged me to go back to smoking before it was too late.

My point here is that smoking is a powerful addiction. I've heard it is the hardest addiction to quit. Having been through the quit, I believe it to be true. Regardless of the thought process of the addict, smoking WILL kill. It amazes me how anyone could believe that quitting would be a death sentence and have no fear with continuing to smoke. I guess it depends on your state of mind.

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 28, 2007 12:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

denial is a terrible thing.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 28, 2007 6:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady....

Bless your heart....that's some real baggage in generational thinking you had to deal with in your quit.

Look at it....the addictions's little mind game in this state of mind...

They "assume" quitting will kill you because people have ended up sick and died shortly after quitting. The addiction twists the truth...that the sickness and death was a cause and effect of "quitting"....when in reality....the smoking had already done it's damage and is the real reason behind the deaths and such. See, how subtle and twisted the evil one plays? Shocked It seems logical, but in true reality, it isn't.

You're right....it's all a state of mind....and they believed those deceiving lies that the addiction feeds. Thank God, we have learned the truth!!! Wink

Big Hugs Girl!!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 28, 2007 9:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can understand why your mother was so worried about you. All she'd ever seen was people dying AFTER quitting. Of course, they were probably much older than you are now and had smoked for far more years than you. You were wise and strong to hang in tight with your quit. As we all know, it's smoking that kills, not quitting.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Lady

Quit Date:
July 1, 2005

PostPosted: August 28, 2007 11:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, We had this conversation on my one year quit anniversary, at a Waffle House in Tennessee and they both sat there smoking during the entire conversation. They were also eager to hand me lit cigarettes which I refused over and over again.

For some reason, during this conversation, I wasn't even tempted to smoke. I guess because I was looking at the truth of the addiction face to face and all I felt was sadness. I couldn't get my point across and wound up dropping the subject.

I cannot change the past, but the future is waiting for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: