quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting Nervous and Excited
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: August 30, 2007 11:50 PM    Post subject: Getting Nervous and Excited Reply with quote

Three more days of being chained to smoking and then I make my first attempt in years to be free of it. I need this change in my life. I can stop smoking even if I have to try several times, I can do it.

Right now I'm a little overwhelmed by all the information there is on the internet to help people quit smoking cigarettes. Two places I've visited endorse cold turkey and I never even considered the idea. As soon as my doctor told me about this new drug (Chantix) that uses no nicotine but instead appears to fool the body, I thought this is a cool thing to try. I'm just at the point where I want very much to quit and anything that can increase my chances of doing that I want to go with. I know it's an individual choice and different things work for different people. I will continue with it and if I don't succeed I can always try it cold turkey.

I'm just psyched that I'm willing to try to stop again. I'm trying to get myself to say affirmations out loud. Next step is to post index cards around the house with more affirmations.

I lived with an alcoholic for over five years and I witnessed the full extent of what addiction can do to a person's spirit and body. One good thing I did do was go to Al-Anon (a support group for the family and friends of alcoholics). I have several of their daily readers and I think I'm going to start using some of the twelve step slogans I've found there to help me through this transition period.

The slogan I'm using right now is "Easy Does It"

Here are some others:

Let Go and Let God
One Day At A Time
First Things First
Keep It Simple
Think
Listen And Learn
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 8:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the road to a successful quit. Education and reinforcement are two of the things that help when Scowling Demon rears his ugly head. I quit cold turkey. That worked for me. However, "different strokes for different folks." Use whatever means you feel are going to work for you.

Post often. There's always someone around to help you through the rough spots.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 9:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit on the chantix 21 days today. I have quit many years ago but never lasted. I have found the educating yourself and the support here has really help reinforce my quit. I have said it before I dont care how you quit just as long as you can is wonderful. Good luck and I will be rooting for you!!!!!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 1:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patty,

Congratulations on being 3 weeks smoke free!

This is my fifth day on Chantix and I still have the desire to smoke. Did you find that your cravings got less around quit day or was it still hard? I think in some ways it will be easier to stop once I've gotten rid of all the cigarettes and have settled in to my quit day on Monday. I'm pretty anxious right now anticipating quitting. Are you continuing to take the Chantix or have you stopped? I think I will continue to take it for at least a month, maybe longer, just in case it's helping me. Right now I can't tell. I've read that it takes three days to get the nicotine out of one's system. Maybe after that the whole process will get easier. I'm just scared. I guess I'm only just realizing how dependent I am on smoking physically and emotionally. It's not a fun realization but there it is.

I'll be around

Kate
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 2:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Kate,

I also took Chantix. No, it was not easy. Quitting never is. But, just like anything else... if you put the time and effort into it, you will be rewarded greatly! You are doing an incredible job. Education is the key... keep up with those mantras. Just remember that when you quit, you may have some discomfort. It is okay! Embrace the discomfort and use it to remind yourself that you are giving yourself a GIFT! I promise you that you will be so much happier as a non-smoker!! You can do it... we're cheering you on!!

~nichole
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 2:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nichole! Smile
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 3:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it for a week before I quit. They recommand that you do it for 10 days. I noticed that on day 6 I was not even thinking about having a cig. So when day 7 came around I had everything ready. mints, straw and plenty of water. I was at work and I stayed where you cant smoke and it went okay. Probably the car was the hardest. Its the habits more then anything. By the third day on my quit my car smelt so bad to me I wanted to puke. I had smoked in there for 15 years. Laughing Demon Check the website for chantix the info came with you prescribtion. Im on my 4th week and plan doing all 12 weeks.

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 4:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanderer62 wrote:
I'm just scared.

Kate, knowing and admiting that is over 1/2 the battle. I was so freaking scared. That is why I put my slogan in below as a gift to myself on my 1 year anniversary.

I am not superhuman. But, I believed in myself and the love I have for myself and I sought the support of the good folks here.

Three billion big mega cheers for ya!!!!!!!! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: August 31, 2007 11:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patty and alleghany for helping me out.

I am scared. Yuk. But also I feel hopeful...that is when I'm not feeling nervous. On Wednesday I got suckers, pretzels and carrots and tomorrow I'm going to get myself some bottled water. I rarely buy bottled water. I'm usually drinking a big mug of decaffeinated tea. I already have some sugarless gum. I guess I've been in training a bit with the gum. For the past month or so sometimes I chew some gum (and blow bubbles) instead of smoking a cigarette.

I'm going to be at home on my quit day and home is the battlefield. I spend most of my time sitting in a chair in my living room with easy access to TV, computer, books, music and that's where I do my smoking. So today I practiced changing my position to either the couch or a different seat. I had my crocheting at hand along with a new collection of audiobooks--I like to listen to them while I crochet, very relaxing. I also had my guitar nearby and a singing instruction audiobook to stir me up to go into my makeshift studio and do some singing.

I listened to part of an audiobook on Taoism and the author (Ken Cohen) did a meditation session, so I joined him and meditated for a little while. That was an important thing to do. I haven't seriously meditated in a couple of years and it's now time to return to that. I want to start my day out on quit day with a meditation session, not necessarily long (l don't have the endurance yet for that) but long enough to settle me down and focus me. I read somewhere that deep breathing is very important during a quit. As a smoker I'm used to breathing deeply and I shouldn't stop that when I stop smoking.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 1, 2007 7:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! It sounds like you are doing very important work to get ready to quit. That will help you a LOT. Just remember to have faith in yourself: you have knowledge and strengths that you have built up in your life. During any rough patches you might experience, rely on those. And us!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 1, 2007 9:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

It's so normal to be scared or nervous about quitting because smoking had become such an integral part of our lives. At first...it's hard to imagine not smoking.

Don't look way down the road...it will be overwhelming....just take one day at a time or even one minute at a time....deal with one urge at a time. Stay in the moment.

You're already very experienced in that with your meditation.

Stay determined and remember....quitting is a GIFT you're giving yourself. Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 1, 2007 11:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kate,

Sounds like you have the determination part down pat! I agree with Donna, day by day, minute by minute, maybe even second by second! You'll do fine, the "fear" doesn't last too long.

Essie
4/14/04
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: September 1, 2007 2:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rusty, Donna and Essie.

I've started the process of gathering up my extra packs of cigarettes and lighters. I'm going to bring them over to my brother's house and ask him to hide them for me there until I feel secure that I can commit to the quit. Then I can ask him to give the cigarettes away and be done with it. I'm not taking the hardline position on this decision. I accept the possibility that I won't make it my first try. That doesn't mean I'm not going to really try, it just means that I accept that I am only human and not perfect. The most important thing for me right now is that I'm willing to seriously try to quit. This change in attitude could mean that someday (soon I hope) I will finally be free of the urge to smoke.

Kate
Nosmoex

Quit Date:
July 4, 2007

PostPosted: September 2, 2007 8:48 PM    Post subject: routine Reply with quote

Hi Wanderer62 Sounds like you have done some planning! That is great. I smoked 20 years and quit 2 months ago, and I feel great. I never smoked in our house. I either smoked outside in the garage or more recently on my back steps. Once I quit, If I got a little restless or after a big meal, I would just go out on the porch for a few minuets as if I was smoking and go back inside and I would feel much better. Kinda helped me feel like I had not given up everything I was used to doing. I would just go to the places that I used to go, and instead of smoking, thought of some of the reasons that made me glad that I was NOTsmoking. Just believe in yourself!
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: September 2, 2007 10:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nosmoex, thanks for taking the time to post. I'm going to need the support especially tomorrow, my quit day. All except the last pack are out of my house and those I will destroy just before I go to sleep tonight. When I wake up tomorrow there will be no smoke to reach for and I will start to reorient myself. I, unfortunately, have smoked inside for years now so I'm changing my spot in the house. I won't sit in the seat that I smoked in. I've rearranged my living room a bit and will continue to readjust it tomorrow. I'm so grateful to sites like this and to people like you for having the generosity to be supportive of others while they go through their quits. I'm also posting on a site I found through this website's link page. It's called the Quit Smoking Journals and everyone who wants one can start a public journal and comment on other journals. It's a pretty cool set up.

I think your strategy of taking a little time to relax in the places you used to smoke while reflecting on why you are glad you don't smoke is a very sensible one. I'll have to try that. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: