quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Britain will require graphic pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 5, 2007 12:45 PM    Post subject: Britain will require graphic pictures Reply with quote

I ran across this today in yahoo news. This image provided by Britain's Department of Health showing a healthy lung, left and a diseased lung, right, is one of the graphic pictures to be place on packs of cigarettes to discourage smokers. Words failed to stamp out smoking, so Britain will require graphic pictures of diseased organs on cigarette packs next year, the government announced Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2007. The images include a diseased lung, a chest cut open for heart surgery, and a large tumor on a man's neck. In all, Britain chose 15 images from a selection developed by the European Commission. Britain will be the first member of the European Union to require such warnings, Health Secretary Alan Johnson said. The new warnings will be required on cigarette packs in the second half of 2008, the department said. (AP Photo/Department of Health/ho)

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 5, 2007 3:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly hope it helps some...interesting. Of course, the picture (on the ALA or ACA posters) of the girl with a burnt out half face never really bothered me.

Good to know. Glad you posted! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 5, 2007 5:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope it helps people want to quit smoking. However, I've always felt that quitting is a totally personal decision. I, for one, never read the warnings on the packs so they did nothing to help me decide to quit.

That picture is really frightening, though.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Nosmoex

Quit Date:
July 4, 2007

PostPosted: September 5, 2007 6:01 PM    Post subject: lungs Reply with quote

Holy discouragement, Batman!

Return to the nest of thy quit often. For a nest without the heft of its maker is soon undone, fodder to the wind. RSA/'07
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 6, 2007 10:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me they've been doing this in Canada for a year....don't know if this is true or not.

I know when I smoked I never looked at warnings etc and I've asked people around me who smoke if that photo would discourage them from smoking and they've all said "No".

I guess the "fix" is stronger than any intelligent debate.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: