quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How much weight gain is normal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: October 17, 2007 7:25 PM    Post subject: How much weight gain is normal Reply with quote

When I first quit I posted a thread that I was losing weight instead of gaining, well, that took a turnabout and I put on about 5 Lbs which most of you probably won't think is alot, but it seems the 5 lbs went mostly around my middle into what I call a flabby belly. I've been doing some crunches and ab exercises and the waist has come down a couple of inches. Couple more to go! When I don't have anything I get very nervous and anxious like I felt when I first quit. My problem is sitting by the computer and eating something at all times. I don't really feel satisfied on what I stuff in my mouth, so go on to the next thing in site that isn't nailed down, in hopes it will satisfy me.

How much weight gain is normal after quitting, and what can I do to stop the food and smoke cravings (yes, I still get those)

Oh, and all my Lab tests came back normal so it's not my thyroid or blood sugar.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 17, 2007 10:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read about 5 to 10 lbs is a normal range...however, I think I gained about 38...now three years later, it is shifting again and I am going back down on my own without dieting... Oh sure, I could have hit the gym but being in my 50's it just was not that important at the time....living was...please don't sweat the weight gain, what goes up must come down....
Wink
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 17, 2007 11:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie,

It varies person to person. All total from starting this a couple of years ago, I've put on 30 lbs. And...by the way...I'm not fat...just cushy! Wink Laughing Laughing This quit...I gained about 5 and lost it....I'm hovering at 155 lb. It seems to be where I'm stablizing. The weight will come off sometime down the road.

The hand to mouth action....feeling the need to have something in the mouth...try a cinnamon stick or a shorten straw to hold in the mouth. Also try replacing eating with drinking water instead. If you're not actually hungry don't indulge in food...chew gum or suck on some mints for example. Did you know the chewing action of eating or chewing gum actually helps to increase the dopamine action in the brain which is related to feeling good and our moods? Yep, so maybe just the action of chewing is what you are seeking.

I know when I quit I drank coffee like I smoked. Went through alot of coffee in the beginning. But, after awhile, without even realizing it, the coffee consumption began to taper off and actually decreased to a lower amount than when I smoked. There's a whole thing about needing about 1/2 of the caffeine after quitting. But the point...it was an adjustment period.

Stay with exercising and just begin to modify some of the eating habits and routines. Freedom is worth and justifies a little weight gain. Wink

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 2:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I wish I was feeling as confident as you all are? Maybe what bothers me about this mushy weight gain around my middle, is I know it's not a healthy one so feel a little guilty and distressed about it mainly because I see this unwelcome change in my body that I never had to deal with before. I am feeling somewhat better since I dropped the 2 inches.

I never thought to replace the food binges with candy, gum or water? I will try it to see if that helps.

Thanx
AllieCat

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 1:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gracie! I know what you are talking about. I gained 10 lbs since February and I swear half of it is sitting in my middle. The rest of it is in my arse Crying or Very sad I haven't been working out (no time) but hope to at least start walking in a week or so. I did read that it's a hormonal thing. I went thru menopause and then got off the hrt a few years ago. The article said that we can expect to get thick in the middle Crying or Very sad Bummer is, (lol) I only have one pair of jeans that fits now!
Allie
Gracie

Quit Date:
May 8, 2007

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 3:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, you're lucky your fanny and belly got to share. Laughing With me it looks like it all went to my belly but my butt is somewhat deprived. Now if the weight would just slide down a bit and shift a little I may be one happy camper. My sister quit in March and she put on 20 lbs since, most of it is around her middle... She has a similar problem as me, she comes home from work and hits the cupboards.
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: