quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm sick of it!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morganzmom

Quit Date:
May 21, 2006

PostPosted: October 31, 2007 8:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - was a lurker before, think I may have posted just once. Then was doing well and didn't return so forgot my password, etc. and had to register again. Returned this time because I thought no one else is still getting bouts of depression after 18 months - my family doctor keeps saying the quit smoking depression would be over but I don't believe her on that! Will definitely try the L-Tyrosine. The St John's Wort, like all the antidepressants except Zyban, put on weight. I did the Zyban when I first quit for 2 months and it really did work - I think I stopped it too soon. SO afraid of needing yet another thing besides nicotine. I think that's why I keep stopping the ST. John's Wort, even though it is working.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2007 11:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been very interesting.
It maybe whats been happining to me. I have never felt so depressed and dispodent since I quit smoking. Anixety attacks like never before at least 2 to 4 a day. Blood pressure out of control. Will Im posting this I just received bad news my mother in law just passed away. so gotta go bye

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2007 12:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

morganzmom wrote:
SO afraid of needing yet another thing besides nicotine.

Well, having to take something for the mood can fill the mind with those type of thoughts...like we can't cope without depending on something to keep those moods in check. But, personally, the way I see it....it's just hype from the evil side... Scowling Demon He comes and says...."see, you have this problem with emotions and the cigarette is the answer. See, it did do something for you"....what a load of BS Scowling Demon shovels out. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Taking something for depression or moods is no different that taking other meds for physical ailiments. If you had a fever...won't you take aspirin to break it? Or headache....wouldn't you take aspirin to relieve it? If you were diabetic (sp?)..you'd take insulin wouldn't you? If you had high blood pressure...you'd take meds to regulate it wouldn't you? And the list goes on.

Taking something to regulate moods and emotions is no different. We have established that dopamine is the reason for the imbalance in the brain which directly is linked and affects the moods and emotions. So, why wouldn't we do whatever we can to regulate that neurotransmitter. And we know that nicotine played a major role in throwing that neurotransmitter in confusion.

Taking something is just one option. Our thoughts also affect the dopamine levels....and one affects the other....and a vivious cycle begins.

It is possible some of us have a lower state of dopamine than others. This is the case in Parkinson patients. Their systems do not have an adaquate amount of dopamine and the whole process of releasing and regulating in the system. And yes, those patients are given meds to imitate the dopamine or stimulate those receptors. Restless leg is another that is directly affected by dopamine. (When you quit...ever get the jerky leg? I did....and I knew it was the body trying to adapt to the different level of dopamine)

So, all the quit did was uncover this possible lack of dopamine we already had. Because the smoking actually released and flooded our system with an over abundance of the dopamine. Our receptors where rewired by smoking...and once the nicoitine stopped...well, we are left trying to figure this all out. Most people, the body and brain, with time adapts and regulates back to what is actually normal. But, if some of us, had the problem with dopamine before we began smoking....welll, this is were we are now....trying to figure it out.

What amazes me is how many of us this affects. For awhile, the thought to write all the research out has been bouncing in the head. Never have taken the time to do it. Guess, probably should do it and post it. Cause what I just wrote is very, very simple in terms....very general.

Patty.....So sorry about your mother-in-law. My heart goes out to you, your hubby, and family. Take care and May God give you comfort!

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: