quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

73 hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 11:43 AM    Post subject: 73 hours Reply with quote

Hey!! I made it through 3 days.
I just cannot believe it is me saying this!! I have always said I would quit- and always been terrified of the actual process. Even last week I had serious doubts about being able to do this. Finding these boards last week really helped to increase my confidence and now I've been through 3 days without a single slip! The worst has been at night. I used to smoke the most in the 2 hours (pretty much one after another) or so right before going to bed- that is the only time of the day I think i experience true physical cravings. Now today is my first day back at work- this has been a little tough - but I'm trying to lay low and get through it. It helps alot to have 3 days behind me- every minute farther I get the more it feels natural to not be smoking.

I do have to add a little discouraging thing that happened last night... just to vent. I called my Mom to say "Happy Birthday" and to give her the news that I was 55 hours into my quit. I was so excited to do this as she has really been worried about me f..for 17 years of smoking- to the point of crying sometimes and wondering what she could have done to prevent it or what she could do to make we want to quit.- and here I was ready to tell her she didn't have to worry or cry about it anymore. I called her in Tabago (she is on vacation- luckily i could afford the call now that i'm not spending $160 a month on cigarettes) Unfortunately after I told her, the first thing out of her mouth was "see, it wasn't so bad was it?" I know she didn't mean anything rude by it, but it really just set me back. She did go on to say that she was proud, but at the moment I just felt so defeated. It was not the reaction I expected and I'm dissappointed. Not hard?????
Anyway- I'm feeling a little better about it today as I know she didn't want to make me feel as if this wasn't an accomplishment- I guess I just shouldn't have had such high expectations!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelli,

I get the same reaction from my fiancee. He smoked for many years before he quit and he has been quit now for 4 years. Take it as a compliment. Because that is what it was meant to be. It wasn't so bad was it really. I know it is hard but not to bad. You know what they say anything that doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Quiting smoking feels like death but really isn't all that bad and that is what they mean when they say this and it is true it made us stronger more reliable more cofident people. I had been smoking 30 years when I finally quit. I have much more confidence in myself now because I know if I can quit smoking I can do anything I set my mind to. And I will to. Youcan to it will start to get a little easier from here but it will still be really hard you still have to make it through hell and heck week and I personlly felt heck week was harder then hell week. This is because we are no longer geared up to quit and the quiting is down now. We are coming off our natural high from quiting and starting into the fog area of the quit. But you can do it and if you feel weak irratable and ornery come on here and post post post we are here to help. YOU CAN DO THIS

One month, three weeks, one day, 1 hour, 6 minutes and 22 seconds. 2081 cigarettes not smoked, saving $359.12. Life saved: 1 week, 5 hours, 25 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:21 PM    Post subject: Some do not understand... Reply with quote

This is great...three days into your quit. Your body is now rid of nicotine and you will begin to heal. Be proud this is awesome.

Your mom might not understand the quit process. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done. Nicotine is more addictive than herion. In fact I have read it is the most addictive drug in the world. To be able to kick this habit/addiction is wonderful.

I do understand what it feels like to have someone burst the bubble of our milestones. I was told by my mom she just decided one day to quit. no problem. Later I recalled the breast cancer was a wake up call...mom just didn't want to admit she quit from fear not choice.

Be proud...72 hours is awesome. Have you had a chance to visit http://www.whyquit.com and read Nicodemons Lies? It also tells about the quit process and what to expect.

You need to educate yourself about the mental withdraw process. Your mind will play hectic games with you trying to lure you back to the demon. Your body will go through many changes and fighting off the urge to feed your addiction takes knowledge and support.

Read Tales of The Quit here on this site and follow the walk taken by an ex smoker. I have related to many of those tales.

Stay focused on your quit. Everyday takes you further into a smoke free life. It gets better and is so worth the battle.

Sandyz
Seven months, one week, two days, 18 hours, 18 minutes and 50 seconds. 10024 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,503.65. Life saved: 4 weeks, 6 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we're all here. Never- smokers will never, ever know what you are going through. Smokers will avoid you too, as you are doing something they are too afraid and too guilty to attempt. You'll get the most sympathy and understanding from ex smokers....but for some of them too, the memory of how hard it is fades.

I know, it's frustrating. In my previous quits, one of my biggest backdoors for smoking was..."hey, no one else cares if I smoke or not, why should I". Don't allow this to happen to you. We know how hard it is...and we care. You're doing great, and yes, you can and are doing this.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, hon, you are doing SO good.

Always remember that the quitter's worst enemies are current addicts (smokers) and never smokers. For different reasons of course...the current addict wants you to fail so they can continue to convince themselves that quitting is hard and impossible. The non-smoker still thinks it's a "habit" and doesn't understand addiction. Please be proud of yourself for each minute and hour and day that you choose to live instead of smoke, but don't be surprised if everyone else is SO much less excited about it!

We're always ready to celebrate though, so share share SHARE with US!!! Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeli:

CONGRATS! This is truly a significant accomplishment, regardless of who may or may not acknowledge it. YOU know how hard it was to get here, so be proud of yourself, even if others close to you do not realize what you have been through. All of us here know full well how tough it is to get through those first three days, and we are all proud of you.

Tom

No more in 04!

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for all the good comments- there is so much truth there. This board is helping me so much!
I would like to say that I really appreciate those of you who are really staying on top of these message boards and taking the time and effort to help others. Many of you are getting quite far along in your quits and I'm sure that at some point you don't really "need" the board anymore in your own quit and are just choosing to help people out. Right now I'm a little self-absorbed in my own quit and may not be taking as much time to help others as the rest of you - but I promise that when I get better adjusted I will make the effort as you all do to help other people in their quits. I feel that I will really owe a lot to all of you when this is done and plan to pay you back by following your lead.
Cathy
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 12:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy:

You are very welcome. We are all glad to help, and we have all been helped by others.

In the final analysis, it is entirely up to you, no matter how much others try to help you. I think you have the strong determination that it takes to make it, and I believe you WILL make it. Making it three days says a LOT about how much you really want to do this.

Once again, CONGRATS!

Tom

No more in 04!

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just bring it on to us, we'll root for you every step of the way. No one else will ever get it. Yes there are even ex-smokers who act like its no big deal. The people here though we get it!

My goodness your looking lovely in that quit! Very Happy

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 5:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually my mom never really smoked... she doesn't "believe" in addiction
she thinks people can just stop whatever it is---- smoking, alcohol, drugs--that there is nothing to it except just not doing it anymore. She doesn't understand the struggle.

thank you so much- the avatar is my cat Story!!! if you want me to email the photo to you for your friend I'd be glad to!!
by the way... i entered her into a photo contest at catconnection.com-
if you get a chance I would.... i mean "she" ....would appreciate your vote!!!!
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 5:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jelli
Way to go on three days +. You are to be congradulated. Don't let your mother's way of saying congradulations upset you. She obiviosly is a never-smoker. Someone who has never smoked does not know what it is like to go threw hell week. I even talked to a person here in my area that quit 35 years ago and had forgotten what it was like, after talking to him about what I went threw, he remembered. So, keep being strong and let it be known that this quit looks good on you.
Jim
6 months+
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 7:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and Margaret for the encouragement and understanding!
I'm trying to understand where MOm was coming from- but part of me is hoping that when she gets back from her trip she will have something more to say about it. I guess I need to get over that though- most likely she won't say another word and will just try to deny that she ever had a daughter "dumb" enough to smoke.

and thanks Margaret (from Story) for the wonderful complements. 10:00 is plenty of time to vote! and she needs it too- there is a cat with the contest who has some kind of costume on and unfortunately he has pulled ahead in the competition. Oh the gimmicks!!! Just kidding- the cat looks really cute and maybe he deserves to the win. I just can't help being partial.
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 8:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days is an incredible feat. I know how excited you are. It feels like a miracle doesn't it. You are doing such a great job. I know you don't feel like you are helping others, but each of us help one another. All any of us really have is today.....each of us are smoke free today. Some of us have a little more wisdom because we have already traveled the section of road you are now walking, but your posts help us to remember where we came from and it helps us to stay quit when we reach out our hands to others. YOu give just as much as you get and don't you forget that. I love reading your posts. Your excitement and enthusiasm about quitting is contagious and so enjoyable to read. You keep going girl you are doing wonderful
And Cathy don't let what mom said bother you too much. It is hard for people to empathsize with something they have never experienced. I am sure she is very happy and excited that you are choosing life. My mom wanted me to quit for years and she died before I made that choice. I take heart in believing she is looking at me and smiling. (I would give just about anything if I could hear her say "see it wasn't so bad was it". And even as much as I would love to hear that, I also know I would have replied "in your dreams Mom....it's hell" Very Happy
Keep up the good work Cathy.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 8:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Carol- for the very kind words and for reminding me to count my blessings. I ought to be glad I had the chance to tell her even if it didn't go exactly the way I would have liked it to. Although your mom must somehow know you quit - I wish you had had the opportunity to tell her too.
Paula

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 9:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelli.... you are doing a great job... Just remember, one day at a time, and that the 'feelings' 'cravings' 'bad moments' will pass, whether you smoke or not...

You can do it..
~Paula

Last edited by Paula on June 3, 2004 11:34 AM; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: