quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what made you finally do it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 10:57 AM    Post subject: what made you finally do it? Reply with quote

if you had to pick the one thing that finally pushed you over the edge and made you quit smoking for good, what would it be?

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 12:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit primarily for my health. However, since quitting, I've discovered many, many benefits of being free.

This is a great "sticky," Kevin. I'll be watching it closely to learn all the reasons for quitting.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 1:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to admit that my main reason this time and most of the other times that i have quit has been money. the other benefits of quitting are great and are definitely a part of it, but money is the main motivation here.

jenny
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 1:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't take in enough breath to sing a 4-bar phrase in Bach's b-minor mass.

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
luceze

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 1:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially it was because my wife wanted us to quit. We have a young son, she just quit her job, and money was tight. We had talked for several months about quitting (how easy it is to put it off), and finally set a quit date.

I figured that I needed to get prepared for my upcoming fight and wandered upon WhyQuit Dot Com. After reading ALL of Joel's articles, I ended up quitting a day earlier than my quit date. My reason for quitting immediately turned to staying alive!

So I guess that my primary reason for quitting is for my own personal health. Being around to watch my son progress through life is a close second. You would think that my son would come first but you have to quit for yourself not anyone else.

Eric
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 2:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

nita wrote:
Couldn't take in enough breath to sing a 4-bar phrase in Bach's b-minor mass.

of course you couldn't; non-smokers have trouble with that piece (which is really more like a string quintet with words; the man had no concept of singers needing to breathe - the melismas in the gratia agimus alone are enough to kill weaker singers)...

i was once paid $125 an hour to sing the mass in b minor with 15 other singers (i was the bass section leader); looking back, i should've demanded $250...

Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 8:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

because I felt like sh!t!
Health, I would say, secondly
for my granddaughter.....
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 8:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tired of being so controlled and tied down to it. It seemed I couldn't do anything without smoking or having to interrupt what I was doing to take a cigarette break. It had become an idol in my life and an attachment that had taken over my life....and I had come to realize that and I didn't like what I saw.....complete bondage and slavery!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Nosmoex

Quit Date:
July 4, 2007

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 9:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not like it anymore. Try and try as I might, I could no longer find a reason for ME to smoke. I found out early in my quit that smokers are smokers and quitters are quitters, and I DECIDED to be with the quitters. I am married. I have a mortgage. I have car payments. I have a child. I have loans. I have this. I have that. Cigarettes just kept falling lower and lower on my list of things to NEED. Boy, am I glad that I quit smoking before smoking quit me. Cool
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2007 10:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

You darned right you should have asked for more. That's a hell of a piece for 15 voices. And yes, Bach was NOT thinking of the voice when composing that thing. AT ALL!!
Laughing

J

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: November 2, 2007 6:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I wouldn't have quit if I had been breathing even semi-normally that Sunday morning last February.....so health and not being able to live a full life without stopping.....two months with pneumonia was a real wake up call (DUH!!!) for me......and would you believe I actually got better and got rid of the pneumonia when I stopped smoking!!!!!!!!!!!
Patty
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: November 3, 2007 12:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter asked me if I was going to die because I smoked. That was enough for me!

~nichole
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 4, 2007 3:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me...it was time to try to quit. I didn't start out wanting to quit - but knowing it was time to try. I think it was a bit of divine intervention - a study, a postcard, a seed that was planted, a lot of support and education and wow....nearly 3.5 years later! It was time for me to quit.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
vinllo

Quit Date:
September 20, 2007

PostPosted: November 4, 2007 3:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i told my wife that i had a cold and if it turn into bronchitis. i would be done with smoking. well guess what!! it turned into bronchitis. 45 days later lol lmao and happy as a lark
vinllo
Jim Kwitter

Quit Date:
August 26, 2007

PostPosted: November 7, 2007 11:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been thinking about quitting for about a year before I actually did it. What really tipped me over the edge was my best friend of 35 years being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given about 15 - 30 days to live. My wife & I went to see them & help him get started on chemo etc. and I quit as soon as we returned home. I can't help him at all but I can save myself. The only way I'll ever smoke again is if I get the same 15 - 30 day prognosis.

Chemo and radiation has kept my buddy alive for the last 4 months but I just got the call yesterday, he's down to 120 lbs & sick and tired of being sick and tired and the pain is getting worse. He's decided to stop all treatments except for the pain meds and just ride out the last days at home.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: