quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

day 13- not as good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janesgirl912

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 10:11 PM    Post subject: day 13- not as good Reply with quote

I'm sure that it is all just a part of the process and I am trying to be positive about this entire experience but today has got to be the worst for me. I have not wanted to smoke more in the past 13 days as I have today. I have thought about it alot. I refuse to go there, but I just think it is strange for me to be so freaked out about it now. I'm sure I'll be alright, but this rollercoaster of emotions and withdraws is really frightening. I have no idea how I'm going to react next. I have been so fortunate to have such good days, maybe I was due to spaz out! This time of night gets hard too, so I came where I knew I was understood instead of taking it out on everyone else! Thanks guys! Christy
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 10:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Christy!

Yes, there are THOSE days!! And yes, we have a string of good ones, and then...yikes...."just exactly did this come from" Shocked hard core urge hits us. You did the right thing by just coming here to post and hang out. It will pass, even tho, right now, you probably feel like screaming. Remember to take deep breaths and do something to occupy the mind...even doodling on a piece of paper or playing a computer game like spider solitare (which I still do! Wink ) helps.

Be sure to keep the mind and thoughts in check as best as possible. When those thoughts of wanting to smoke happen, remind yourself of the awful truth of how they stink, a hassle, and the cough and things like that...and then remember what freedom you are gaining with being quit....the easy breathing, being able to smell again, more energy, no babysitting a smoke and all it's necessary gadgets, warmer hands, etc.

It only takes one smoke to return to a pack a day.

Know it can be irrating sometimes, but just wait it out...it will pass! Keep up the great work you are doing with the quit!!!

{{{{{{Christy}}}}}}

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
janesgirl912

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 10:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep reminding myself of the reasons I wanted to quit in the first place. I just watched two of my grandmothers die this past year. The breathing they did at the end of thier lives made me sick and still makes me ill to think about it. Morbid but it works! I don't want to die like that. I won't give up, this just sucks!! Thanks for the kind words!! Christy
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 10:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's exactly it....think of the good vs the bad! Wink

I know about the dying breathing....my dad was like that...it was awful. It is a good incentive to stay quit!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: November 13, 2007 11:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Christy,

Your post made me think of my first few weeeks as a quitter. It's such a foreign territory... it feels so alien. All those emotions and the body and brain don't even seem connected. But my very next thought was, "OMG! I haven't felt that way in such a loooong time!!"

My point is, Christy, just get through TODAY. After some more "todays" pass, you will become more comfortable with being a quitter. Pretty soon, you'll be here on the boards and someone newly quit will post and you will be the one to reassure them that it WILL get better. I promise it will. Hang in there... you are doing an awesome job.

Just get through today.

~nichole
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 14, 2007 12:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to quit a moment at a time, christy, but the good thing is, the moments come and then they go. think of it as practicing being free:

when you were a smoker, you were compelled to stop whatever you were doing to feed your addiction every 20 minutes to an hour, whether you wanted to or not, whether it was convenient or not, rain or shine, no matter what.

when you were a smoker, you were practicing being a slave to your addiction.

now, whenever a crave comes, you have the opportunity to practice being free:

first of all, acknowledge it: say to yourself, "oh. i'm having a crave." no big deal; just an observation of what's going on for you in that moment.

next, make a conscious decision not to feed it, not because you can't, but because you choose not to: say to yourself, "i'm free to feed my addiction any time i want, and return to my life of slavery, but i'm choosing to experience this momentary discomfort to gain all these long-term benefits:", then list the benefits you're getting from not smoking any more.

then, just go back to whatever you were doing (or start the next thing you need to do). don't dwell on it, don't worry about the next one, just let it pass. and it will.

in time, the craves will come less and less often, and will get less and less intense.

you're doing great!

read this: http://www.woofmang.com/tales/freedom_is_the_journey.shtml

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 14, 2007 12:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing fine, Christy. Just keep looking ahead and imagine life without smoking. Believe me, it's wonderful. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: