quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No one has noticed that I quit yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 6:11 AM    Post subject: No one has noticed that I quit yet. Reply with quote

I've tried a new tactic with this attempt at quitting. I've kept it a secret. In the past I've told people that I was quitting and I found it was too much pressure because people always ask you if you feel like smoking (YES and thanks for reminding me!) or there's a competitive thing that just makes you feel really low if you don't make it.

Anyway, this time I decided not to tell anyone, even my wife. It's been my own private hell for 6 days now. It means that I've had to work hard to keep some of the symptoms like irritability or sleepiness under control or out of sight.

This seems to be working pretty well for me. The symptoms are just as bad but atleast I don't have to deal with the extra stress of people monitoring me all the time. I guess most people would prefer the support and help of those around them but this seems to suit me.

Anyway, no one, not even my wife, has noticed yet that I've given up. For me it kind of shows how silly it is to smoke in the first place that something as huge in your life as your smoking addiction can pass without being noticed or mentioned. Anyway, I'm interested now to see how long it is before someone notices that I quit!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 7:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting experiment....keep us posted. (By the way, did you smoke in the house? Does your wife smoke too?)

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 7:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I never smoked in the house and no, my wife doesn't smoke. I also tried not to smoke at work too much because there weren't many smokers and I felt like a slacker if I did go out for one.
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 11:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! We quit the same day- so I'm right there with you! That is interesting that no one has noticed- especially your wife! but how exciting to finally tell her (if she doesn't notice) she will be so proud!
Keep us posted at how long it takes for someone to notice!

Cathy
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 12:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed and you're doing AWESOME!!! I'm so proud of you. It's hard and you're doing an incredible job! YOU rock!!

-Zuzu
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 2:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never do that...it was always my way to start smoking again and not have to face anyone that knew I was quitting.

WE think you're doing great, so I'm glad you shared it with us!! Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 3:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the way you did it - and Im glad it worked for you. I sort-of did mine the same way. I pretty much didnt tell my family - they were always the stupid ones asking those questions and putting too much pressure on me. I told my boyfriend, even though not having him here with me helped. I felt like I was doing it for myself this time not for anyone else. And of course, I came here for support, everyday, like every hour for the first coupla days and that made all the difference to me. I just hit 1 month today and never woulda thought it could happen, or feel this good! So welcome, keep up the good work and we are glad to have you!
Dana
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 3:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, mike, a lot of people get themselves in big trouble by expecting the people they know to make them feel good about quitting; when their families and friends don't make a big deal out of it after the first day or week, they're very disappointed, and some use that as an excuse to relapse. by choosing to keep this to yourself, you're giving yourself an enormous advantage; by not telling everybody you know, you're not setting yourself up for that kind of disappointment.

and when you're looking for positive reinforcement, you know where to come, right? Smile this is a great group of people here, we know what you're going through to win your freedom back, and we're happy to cheer you on!

keep it going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 6:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am so glad not telling anyone is working for you. I was a chain smoker, so it was definently noticed by friends and family when I quit. In addition, I told every one. I am like Lynn. I always kept my trys a secret for as long as I could so I did not have to face people, or face up, to failing. Telling everyone provided a little extra incentive to me to stay quit. Apparently it just provided unwelcome extra pressure on you. Isn't it grand that we are all different! You are doing a great job!

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 8:15 PM    Post subject: Memories Reply with quote

Mike,

Please don't feel bad. My husband quit smoking about 18 years ago and it was a few months before I noticed and then only because I asked him for a cigarette and he told me he had quit. Boy was I ever shocked and embarrassed. I was still smoking.

Just hang in with what you know is best for you. Everyone will be pleasantly suprised when they find out how successful you've been. You're doing great!

Living free for 1M, 3W, 3D, 22H, 45M & loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 5, 2004 5:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my wife finally noticed that I wasn't smoking. Actually what she noticed was that it was the weekend and I wasn't having a beer and then she kind of realised that she hadn't seen me smoking for a while (7 days now). I'm glad I made it past the worst of it before she realised. I hope that I get a day that makes me feel like it's been worth it soon.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 5, 2004 8:47 PM    Post subject: You will Reply with quote

Mike,

You said you hope you'd get a day soon that would make you feel like you'd done the right thing by quitting. Boy, you will. After a few weeks I learned how it felt to take a really deep breath. How wonderful Smile . These negative physical symptoms come on us so gradually we don't realize we aren't feeling well.

So happy your wife noticed that you weren't smoking. Bet she was thrilled. Hang in with your quit. It does get easier.

Living free for 1M, 3W, 4D, 23H & 15M & loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 6, 2004 9:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I had a pretty good day today - day 8. I had long periods where I didn't think about smoking at all and some of the physical effects of withdrawal seem to have worn off a bit. I think I might have even felt, can it really be true, some elation at the fact that I'm not smoking.

Hope everyone else and especially those very new to this life like me has a good day too.
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 4:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's worked for you too Barb. I definately appreciated less pressure in those first few days. At day 13 now it's all out in the open for those closest to me anyway. Non-smokers often won't notice if you stop I've noticed because for them, someone smoking is the weird thing and not someone not smoking.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh a little when I thought about the fact that we as smokers are really the only ones thinking about smoking all the time.

One of the great benefits of choosing not to smoke is it is less and less on your mind until it's history.

WAY TO GO ON YOUR QUIT.

I promise not to put any pressure on you.

K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: