quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gum Disease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janesgirl912

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 9, 2008 6:15 PM    Post subject: Gum Disease Reply with quote

Well I knew it was coming, I decided to make an appointment with the dentist since I had quit smoking a few months ago. I needed to get a verdict on the condition of my mouth. He had already told me about 5 years ago that if I did not quit smoking that I would lose my teeth. I knew that I had gum disease, but I never knew how bad it really was. The top is the worst. They will have to pull them all out and I will get false teeth. Sounds crazy at the age of 31. I am really scared, but this is the only option for me. I cannot afford to get implants or to save them at this point. I know that smoking isn't the only reason for my condition, but it certainly didn't help it either. I start getting them pulled on Valentines Day. Wish me luck!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 9, 2008 6:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a way for you to spend Valentine's Day. I'll sure be sending you my best thoughts and prayers.

You're not alone. I also have gum disease but have only lost 2 teeth so far. My dentist is taking a "wait and see" attitude and, as a tooth becomes infected, we make an appointment to get rid of it.

My gum problems are partially heriditary (my Dad had dentures in his 40's), partially due to smoking and partially due to the inhalers I'm using.
Losing our teeth isn't a fun prospect but it's far better than some of the health problems smoking can cause.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 9, 2008 11:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! Shocked good luck thursday.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 10, 2008 8:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Im so sorry... My mom says your teeth hurt when they come in and they hurt when they go out. Someone needs to talk to man upstairs about this. Embarassed

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: February 10, 2008 10:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing like a great perodontist and nothing worse than a bad one....I had my jaw broke when I was 42 to realign my bite to stop all the abcesses...I also have tissue implants...I call it Henry as the good doctor told me I did not want to know where it came from... Laughing Laughing I have had braces twice but so far still got the choppers... I was told the best thing I did was to stop smoking...I am now under control...or at least that is what the chart says Wink
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: February 11, 2008 8:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane...what a Valentine Day!!! Anyway, good luck.....I start thousands of dollars worth of dental work next month and a huge part of it has to do with all of the years I smoked. One of the people who keeps me smober is my Dental Hygentist.....she is a great gal and would be soooooooo disappointed in me if I ever smoked again.....I credit her with saving as many of my teeth as I still have. Good luck on Thursday.
Patty
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 11, 2008 8:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane,

Ouch, that sounds like a whole lot of pain. Be sure to have something on hand that you can eat afterwards.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 12, 2008 1:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...I sorry that you have to go through this procedure - I'll be keeping your and your dentist in my prayers.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: