quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One more eye opener

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: February 24, 2008 6:57 PM    Post subject: One more eye opener Reply with quote

Last night hubby and I rented DVD's. At the beginning of one there was a commercial for stopping smoking.....an ad I had never seen before.....and WOW did it hit me between the eyes.....
It shows a guy in a cowboy outfit singing some country western song through a microphone next to a hole in his throat.....and he is singing about smoking not always causing cancer of the lung, but sometimes it will cause them to snip out your tongue....sometimes it won't cause you to die right away but you'll get to have a hole in your throat for the rest of your days......it was startling, to say the least.
It took me by surprise and was very powerful for me......and just one more thing I will use to keep reminding myself why I don't want to ever smoke again.....
It was just one of those images that I will conjure up whenever I am tempted or feeling sorry for myself or just being whiny about not smoking.....GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ, what an insidious horrible addiction!!!!!
P.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 24, 2008 9:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes! sounds gruesome! and where do you rent dvds that have commercials?

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 25, 2008 3:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blockbusters and also when you buy them they also have advertising on it.

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 25, 2008 4:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? it's (obviously) been a long time since i rented a dvd from blockbuster; you can get almost anything for free from the library, if you're willing to wait (and i am; if a movie's that important to me, i'll go to the theater).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: February 26, 2008 8:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Blockbuster is where we rent......I really like the idea of Public Service Announcments on DVD's......this was the first time I've seen one for smoking cessation, but I've seen them for drug abuse and teen pregnancy......I think they are a good idea, and at least for me the one I saw over the weekend did what the makers wanted it to do.....P.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 26, 2008 11:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just seen one for the truth group. OMG it was about how the cig companies knowing the right amount of nicotine to add to the cig so you wont get sick. It was a musical with (like)Disney charactors and two guys singing about it. I had to make sure I wasnt smoking something else.. lol!!!!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 27, 2008 1:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

daggy12 wrote:
Hey I just seen one for the truth group. OMG it was about how the cig companies knowing the right amount of nicotine to add to the cig so you wont get sick. It was a musical with (like)Disney charactors and two guys singing about it. I had to make sure I wasnt smoking something else.. lol!!!!
LOL

Patty, it does help, doesn't it?

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: