quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Heart Rate and Blood Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda661

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 28, 2008 2:15 PM    Post subject: Heart Rate and Blood Pressure Reply with quote

Well, have to say that I was surprised to find my heart rate drop 20-30 beats per minute since I quit smoking. I have home monitored my blood pressure/pulse readings for my doc. for some years now --- it all started because I am just really badly "white coat hypertensive...." anyway......

Yep, I'm only on day 4 of my quit, but my heart rate began noticeably dropping a couple of days ago -- it's now more what one would consider normal. I used to run 98-110 beats per minute pretty routinely over the last several years and I was always attributing that to all the running around I do and extra stress in my life (and I do have some extra weight on to shlep around these days too)....nope, it wasn't. I'm doing the same things now, just now running 75-80 beats per minute!

Can you imagine? That's sort of like a minute added to my life every 4 minutes I'm alive now in the number of beats my heart makes -- cool.

This may also be why folks say you're "metabolism" slows down when you quit....well, no....my metabolism hasn't slowed down, my body is just getting more naturally relaxed (like it's supposed to be) sooooo.....here's where I now see the importance of exercising to not gain weight (plus not plain eating more to substitute for a smoke). Wasn't much of a stretch to get my heart rate up to 115+ beats per minute to start burning fat before (in theory, anyway Wink ); now....well, geez I'm gonna' have to work at this more! Shocked

The drop in my blood pressure is there too, it's just harder to comment on right now with the meds. I am on for my flu and back (some of those affect blood pressure adversely). But, some of my readings are so significantly lower than I usually get, that I will probably come off my blood pressure meds. permanently at some point in time (under doc's supervision, of course).

Am a little tired, but I can't really tell what's nico. withdrawal and what's the flu -- guess that's good. Seem to have a constant low-grade dry mouth feeling and a pretty constant hunger feeling, even after eating and knowing I've certainly eaten enough to be full. I did read somewhere here today that nico. cravings could mask as hunger -- drinking lots of water, chewing on some toothpicks occassionally, and keeping busy until I need to rest from this flu gig.

Definitely liking what I'm seeing so far here,

Linda
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 28, 2008 2:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing how our bodies begin returning to "normal" so quickly. So happy you're finding such positive results. Now just get rid of that flu and you'll feel fantastic.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 28, 2008 6:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - that's just one of the immediate effects of quitting. Isn't it nice to know that your body can relax from having to constantly keep feeding the Nicodemon? You will see in time how "CALM" and less stressed you are when you don't have an addiction.

Oh, and the flu type symptons are also common for a lot of people...and it's just a temporary thing.

Keep up the great work! It keeps getting better.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 28, 2008 7:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that is very concrete evidence that there are immediate benefits to quitting...it keeps getting even better! Keep it going Linda!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 28, 2008 11:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're observant, you'll notice a lot of positive signs early on, linda - keep your eyes open, and keep that quit going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: