quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Let's Walk Together!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2008 10:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty - I encourage you to make time for yourself to exercise...you know how great it feels and it ultimately gives you more energy to expend on your family. And with Curves - its only 30 minutes...

I've made it to Curves everyday so far this week - my club will be getting the SMART system later in August - but I wear my heart rate monitor and make sure I keep my heart rate in my target heart rate zone between 70-80% of my max heart rate....and I did water aerobics again last night (a great way to beat the heat and humidity). I've been eating very healthful-ly and paying attention to portions...I really love the fresh fruits and veggies - it sure feels GREAT to be home...

Our humidity is supposed to be way up there this weekend...I don't like the sticky, muggy 90's. I'd prefer a dry 100+. Everyone...keep moving!! But stay cool and hydrated. I'm missing the airconditioning - but making do with fans....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 20, 2008 12:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Today I will be walking near the river. it is hot, hot, and hot, so I'm not sure how long the walk will be. Yesterday though I danced inside to some tunes for exercise.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 22, 2008 10:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new week and a new opportunity to get moving! Since I'm still "relaxing" and adjusting to being home and not having to go to work just yet - I got in a yoga class, and then hit Curves and then took an hour long walk. Very nice day! Slept well too! Water Aerobics tonight! Keep moving!

Mary D.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 3, 2008 12:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...who's out there and moving?? I've been busy...did a bike ride around the penisula in Erie last Friday with my sister-in-law (my first time on a bike in years! - its true - you don't forget how to ride a bike). Presque Isle state park is beautiful - about 13 miles around on the bike trail! Also walked on Sunday in the country and Monday - at the beach - Presque Isle again. Tuesday was my rest day....Wednesday was Curves and a walk (an hour), Thursday was Curves, a walk (30 minutes) and an hour of water aerobics, Friday - Curves and today - yoga class and Curves. Tomorrow will be just a longer walk - want to go five miles. If you are out in the heat - be sure you drink water - and stay hydrated!!

Mary D.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 11, 2008 9:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there still walking?? I walked 6 miles Sunday - and walked at least 30 minutes on Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri. Got to Curves three times too. A pretty good week - and this week should be just as active. And I'm back at work too! Walking really feels good....I want to make sure I can go the 13.1 miles for the half-marathon in November...I think I'll be ready.

Keep moving!!

Mary D.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: August 13, 2008 2:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary!
I'm not walking too much, a mile or two with the dog a couple of times a week (he's only 4.5 lbs, it's HIS marathon!) Mostly I'm on the elliptical, training on the road for the next 5K and building strength and endurance in Yoga. When is your marathon?
Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 13, 2008 11:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Gidget....just keep moving... I'm walking in the half-marathon in Phili - on Sunday 23 Nov - the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Walking with my sister. I'm ready to do it!

Mary D.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 25, 2008 11:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I did it! I completed my HALF-marathon in just a little over 3 hours - that's 13.1 miles!! It was an amazing thing - I was moving along at a pretty good clip - my goal was to be under 3 hours and 30 minutes - and I did much better than that!! I think i could have been under 3 hours - but I had a small problem with momentum and gravity and fell within 200 yards of the finish line - and lost a few minutes - trying to get back up and dust myself off and finish. I fell forward and managed to bash my forehead into the asphalt of the road - scratched the left lens in my glasses and smashed the frames into my nose. Sounds silly - but I was just trying to slow down and my feet were not cooperating - I guess after 3 hours of go - go - go - as fast as you can - they didn't want to stop. I've got a pretty good shiner - deep purple bruising around my eyes and along my nose - and my forehead is scraped (road rash). I also have a lot of bruising on my left arm between the elbow and shoulder - guess I fell on that side. The Philly Marathon and Half-Marathon had over 18000 participants! And my sister and I both finished! My sister came across the finish line in about four hours. I'm very proud she did it! I knew I could do it - but wanted to see how fast I could go. It was quite cold - the water stations were a little treacherous in that the spilled water was freezing on the road and made those sections icy. There was no ice where I fell - nice and flat - so no excuses. The marathon t-shirts say "kicking asphalt" - but mine should - the asphalt kicked me....its not a pretty face. But I'm very proud of my accomplishment. It really felt good to finish - but then the medics made me get on a stretcher so they could check me out...

I was able to get new lenses made for my glasses - so I can see again - the scratches were pretty bad and obscured my vision significantly.

I think next time I might try a full marathon....but I'll have to practice slowing down and staying in control... I'll see if I can get a picture posted so you can share my pain....

Mary D.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 26, 2008 9:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhh Mary! Shocked How painful! Sad Bless your heart. Hitting asphalt hurts so bad....so sorry this has happened to you. I'm sorry, the irony of.. serving in Iraq...and made it through...and then get home, and get a black eye and skinned.

WTG on completing well before you goal. That's one thing you do well...you set your sights, and grab them. Wink Very Happy

Hope the injuries heal quickly...take care of you!!

Love and Hugs!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 26, 2008 10:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! Shocked

congratulations on the great finish time, though; awesome! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 26, 2008 3:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'm staying with my sister in the Family Lodge at the National Institutes of Health. I think some of the folks are glad to learn that black eyes are not a side effect of treatment of some sort.. My face has even more interesting shades of purple. The arm is starting to have some yellow tones indicating healing....

Mary D.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 26, 2008 4:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, sad to hear of your fall mary!!
I hope you heel quickly......poor thing.
Glad to hear how well you did though!

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 10, 2008 1:39 AM    Post subject: Marathon madness Reply with quote

Well...I just registered for a full marathon in Myrtle Beach on 14 February. I'm also considering the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon & Half which is on Sunday, May 3, 2009. I think that one will be a Half-Marathon.

I'm hooked...its great to walk the distance!

Mary D.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: December 11, 2008 7:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, that's great!
I just read your post 1/2 marathon post, oh my Gosh! I am so sorry for your final stretch digger. Has your face weathered the asphalt beating?
Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 13, 2008 7:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost back to normal - the bruises have been pulled by gravity from my eyes down toward my mouth - and lighter everyday - thank goodness. Actually lightest when I first wake up and then darken as I'm up and moving. Thankfully - not painful - just not pretty ...and soon to be totally gone!!! Thanks for asking!

Mary D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: