quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Let's Walk Together!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: March 16, 2008 8:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit-ups count for sure, Leona! And don't forget you can walk in place to music, too. Just put on a song you like and march.

I'm sure glad you all joined me today. I have a class tomorrow night and won't get home until later, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 17, 2008 6:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the gym last week. Went twice so far and Wednesday is the next time. I have gain 20 lbs since I have quit. but it is worth it!!!!!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Genevieve

Quit Date:
February 6, 2008

PostPosted: March 17, 2008 6:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Rusty,

Well I started to walk around the block, we only made it to about 5/8 of a mile. At that point my husband informed me that "around the block was a total of 3 miles"...."doesn't appear that way while in the car)

So "around the block" has become a point we are working up to. I know we will achieve our objective. Wink Very Happy

Genny
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 17, 2008 8:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minutes on the eliptical.......
just got done.

My avatars name is moon ray
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: March 17, 2008 9:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Everybody is doing great! At work, I walked with a co-worker for about 15 minutes, and then at school went up and down 3 flights of stairs twice.

Jo, I hope your cataract surgery goes well...my next door neighbor was back to driving the next day!

Daggy, good for you for going to the gym!

Genevieve, that's more than a half-mile...that is great! I know you will get around the block...one step at a time!

pinkpearl, gotta love that elliptical...not just a place to store your clothes.

And remember, do it all on your own pace, every day, every other day, three times a week -- whatever works for you! I'm so proud of us...and you all are helping me more than you know.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: March 18, 2008 5:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have walked alot, I use it for stress relief and my dogs insist on it! I am on my second Great Dane and they require alot of exercise to stay out of trouble...Winfield demands two walks a day...thru the pasture to the trails in the woods, up the small mountain going to the lake on the golf course and back again...my doctor told me to walk if I could not do any other form of exercise that day to help with quitting smoking....

This is a great idea Rusty....get them up and move em' out.....my weight shifts around alot with this routine also and I always feel better when I crawl back to the house..... Laughing Laughing Any walking is good for you and if you have dogs or cats, take them along....they love it... I used to have a calf that walked with me everyday to the mailbox....he used to stop traffic bouncing around and wanting to play.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 18, 2008 6:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk just about everywhere I go these days. Eight minutes for home to the office. Ten minutes to the messhall - ten minutes back. 13 minutes home to chapel. 13 minutes back. And then I take the two mile route for "exercise" - 30 minutes for two miles. And if I have enough time - sometimes I'll do another two mile lap. Key for me is to keep my heart rate at about 75-80% of maximum for at least 30 minutes.... Walking is great exercise....and it doesn't have to be fast...you just have to be moving! Go for it!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 18, 2008 7:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my block this afternoon. It is slightly under 1/4 mile. Actually I might have gone an extra 1/2 block - CRS - was that today or yesterday?

Anyway, the birds are so happy to have good weather and the snow is melting fast.

Actually the exercise gurus say that it is really the amount of time you spend (and elevating your heart rate) rather than how far you go. I would like to work up to an hour but it is not physically possible. I will be able to ride my bicycle though.

K
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 7:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad me. 2 days and I cant do 10 min of excersize!?!?
Yes I babysit 3 days a week right after work and by the time she leaves im ready for a shower and bed.
This is stupid and unexcuseable. I can find 10 minutes, I have too......

My avatars name is moon ray
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 8:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is doing so GREAT!
PinkPearl, don't beat yourself up, spend those few minutes on the move! I've got an elliptical as well, I love it! I'm hoping it will help keep my weight down diring this "beginning" where most describe weight gain. Anyway, you are wasting energy by feeling badly, take 5 minutes if you don't have 10. Do what you can, and you will see you can do a lot more than you thought. My GOSH, you've given up nicotine forever, you can do most anything!!
You are all just great! I love your energy and encouragement. Enjoy your walks, everyone!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 1:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I disappeared for a few days...huge project due and now I'm experiencing flu-like symptoms. So not much walking for me the past few days. Hopefully this weekend.

Everyone is doing great...and someone said early on, three or four times a week is great!

Rusty Very Happy

Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 2:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty, hope you're feeling better.
Ok, I'm going out to walk now and work off the potato chips. Been bad with food lately.

See if you can catch up with me!

Kaye
hunahpu

Quit Date:
December 3, 2007

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 4:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for a two mile walk every day at work. I do this instead of taking a lunch. I've been doing that for several years.

I also bike on the weekends. Last weekend, I went for a 20 mile bike ride.

The weather in Tucson as been spectacular for several weeks. Things are starting to bloom. We've had highs in the 80s. It is wonderful weather to walk in.

Of course, this will be short lived. In a month or so, it will be in the 100s, but then it will be swimming weather.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 7:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

More walking from point A to point B - but got a ride to dinner with my boss. Nice for a change - and a different dining facility - the one that has real plates and silverware instead of plastic. And I did a two mile walk DVD with Leslie Sansone this morning. Used cans of "slim fast" shakes for hand weights - the dvd had "circuit training" incorporated with the walking. Just keep moving.... it all counts!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: March 21, 2008 7:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaryD...I love those Leslie Sansone dvds. They are great when it's too cold or too hot to go outside. George Foreman also has a couple of very similar ones that I like a lot. Glad you had a grown-up dinner tonight!

Rusty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: