quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Let's Walk Together!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 27, 2008 9:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I keep forgetting to post!!

Mary - glad to read of your LAST 5K in Iraq!!

And hello to all the other walkers, runners, bikers and other exercisers!

I've been faithfully going to Curves even though I haven't been posting about it. I have officially lost 10 pounds now!! And 3.5 inches as of my 6/22 measure. So I'm pretty happy about the progress on the health improvement front. My blood pressure is also down to around 100 - 105 / 65 - 70. (I've been to the doc a few times lately for the hormone stuff, and of course they take it each time.)

YEAH!!

I hope everyone else is enjoying their exercise and also seeing whatever results you are looking for.

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2008 8:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be back at Curves as soon as get all the way home. I hope I can drop the 15 I gained - and a little more. I miss the muscles and good tone I had before I got to Iraq. I'm ready to exercise!! And I've decided I'm going to try to walk a marathon - Prevention has a program - and there is a marathon that allows walkers in Philadelphia in November....26 miles...I can do it!! I'll start training right away - I'm already walking at least 2-3 miles daily - at a 14-15 minute mile pace. Going to do it!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 28, 2008 12:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Dude, can't wait to have a Curves buddy here. As soon as you get home home and get a chance to check out your local Curves, let me know if they have the new SMART system installed. If so, you are gonna LOVE it given your goals!! I also think your marathon walking goal is admirable!!

Did my 80% workout at Curves this morning to finish off the week. Tomorrow is my day off, then right back at it on Monday!

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 29, 2008 1:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Curves near where I live or work. There are some in town, but they are spread to the outer reaches and none in a central location.

But today is my first day back at Sparkpeople, with new eating and exercise goals. So far so good!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 29, 2008 8:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked to church today - took me nearly an hour - from the barracks to the chapel. It wasn't the closest chapel - but it was the one I knew for sure how to get to and was the chapel I went to when I was assisgned here at Fort Bragg way back in the early 80's. Very nostalgic...and I certainly got my exercise in for the day. Caught a bus to get home...more walking tomorrow and then home to Pittsburgh on Tuesday!!! Can't wait! - Even if I have to get up at 0300 get ready to fly...guess I'll have to go to bed early tomorrow - and take a nap on the plane.

DG - I'll have to see if they have the SMART system - either way - I always used my heart rate monitor to make sure I was getting to my target heart rate - but it sure seems to be working for you! Sounds like you had a good week - well done!

Mary D.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 2, 2008 1:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to my Curves this morning - I LOVED every minute of the circuit. I discovered they are moving to a new location over the weekend! That would have been a panic to see a "closed" sign on the door! It really felt good -- it doesn't appear they have the "SMART" system yet - but we'll see once they get moved. It really felt great to work out! I have my travel pass so maybe we'll get to work out while I'm visiting my sister - she goes to Curves too. But she also has a treadmill and an elliptical machine. I'll pack my workout clothes and heart rate monitor...will need to work off the picnic food and at least a couple of beers or glasses of wine - after no alcohol since my leave in February - I'll have to go slow - and just enjoy one or two.... Hope everyone is out there walking!!

Mary D.
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: July 3, 2008 11:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! Mary, sounds like you had a good time getting back on the circuit!! Glad you got there before the "closed" sign went up!! If they are moving, that would be a good reason to wait getting the SMART equipment installed as it was a bit of a bugger getting it all "tuned" (not the right word...but I'm sure moving it would mean a lot of re-doing of stuff!) I'm sure your heart rate monitor REALLY helps you make sure you are working up at whatever level you should be. (rather than chit chatting and ending up NOT putting enough in....which is what I used to be very guilty of!!) Have a fun weekend at the family BBQ!! Bet that will feel GREAT after your time in Iraq.

This has been a good workout week so far. I think I'm reaching the point where I will consistently burn at least 400 cals on my 80% days, and at or near 500 cals on my 100% days. Smile If I don't find a waist soon there is something wrong!!!! And the Red Team which I am on, won the "Heat It Up In June" challenge. Razz Everyone had so much fun (and attendance is WAY up!!) that we are Heatin' It Up again in July.

Have a great workout day everyone, and a wonderful smoke free and fit holiday weekend! (well, for everyone in the US)

DG

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 3, 2008 9:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flight at 0715 was too early to get to Curves - but I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill while my sister did her 30 minutes on the elliptical. Kept my heart rate between 70 and 75 % of my maximum heart rate - used the incline and intervals of walking at 4mph with 3.5 % incline and 4.2 mph with a 20% incline - and of course stretches at the end after a cool down..

Mary D.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 6, 2008 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you had a great 4th of July - I did! Still at my sister's in Syracuse - relaxing.

I've registered to walk a half-marathon! My sister is also registered - we'll walk our 13.1 miles in Philiadelphia in November. The Phili marathon is one that will allow walkers - but you have to maintain a 16 min mile pace to finish the full marathon in less than 7 hours. We'll be fine with the half-marathon.

Its a good goal - and it will be fun to do it with my sister!

Mary D.
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: July 8, 2008 11:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, the half marathon sounds like a lot of fun!! I'm sure that is no slouch of a pace to keep for 13+ miles. Have fun training for that - you will both be in good shape!

I haven't been posting much here in the last week but have been keeping up my Curves workout. Since May 22 I have only missed one day when they were open, where I didn't work out and that was docs orders. That is a WORLD RECORD for me and exercise!!

I am excited about the boost I'm getting on SO many levels as my hormones are being brought into balance. Since may 22 I have now officially lost 15 pounds. My next weigh and measure will be in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to see some GOOD stuff in terms of body fat % improvement and inches lost. I solidly down one clothing size. Still have a long way to go, but it feels terrific to be moving in the right direction!

I'm SO GLAD to be free of smoking. I can't even imagine what a hinderance that would be - burning lungs, out of breath, etc. I FEEL GOOD!!

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and got some exercise of choice in the schedule to boot.

DG

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2008 12:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow DG...15 pounds is fantastic! Good job on being consistent and actually getting there!
I've been to Curves the yesterday and today - on my travel pass - its a nice, pleasant location. It feel great to be back at it! It was a group of mostly older ladies - but it is so encouraging to see them still exercising and going strong into their 70's and 80's! Active and vital - that's how I want to be as I age!

Also spent about 45 minutes on the treadmill yesterday - and helped with stacking wood...good activities! Spent some time weeding the garden today. Sure feels good!!

Mary D.
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2008 2:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk a mile at lunchtime every work day. I go to the local mall and walk around inside it three times.

In the spring and fall, I like to go to the city park and use their walking trail, which is a circuit of 1.25 miles. I don't use that trail when it is extremely hot, or when it is cold.

On my recent trip to Idaho and Montana I was able to do some hiking, and I was very proud of how far I could go. I had to take a lot of breathers, but there is NO WAY I could have gone as far as I did, if I were still smoking.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 11, 2008 7:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I've been walking on and off most of today. Actually, very short walks as I haven't been feeling that well. My left foot needs the workout as it has nerve damage. I put on tennis shoes to walk so that was another reason not to walk too long cause it's hot with shoes and socks on. Price of gas keeps me away from the mall.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 15, 2008 10:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been going Curves everyday - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday last week. Monday and Tuesday this week - so far. I also digging and weeding on Sunday. A yoga class on Monday, and today I did a water aerobics class - that was really fun! I'm really loving being able to get to Curves again...I really missed that workout! Need to get a little running or walking in....guess I'll have to fit it in somewhere. How's everyone doing with their exercising??

Mary D.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 18, 2008 9:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sliding backwards!!!! Just dont have the will power!!!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: