quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

http://www.clearwater.com.au/smokingsurvey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 8:55 PM    Post subject: http://www.clearwater.com.au/smokingsurvey Reply with quote

G'day!

I'm researching how people quit smoking. Using a web-based survey, we
hope to advance knowledge of the stages of change people
go through when quitting smoking. This research is auspiced by the
University of New England in Australia.

We would like a full spectrum of people for this study; smokers, people trying to quit and ex-smokers. Even people who consider themselves non-smokers, but who occasionally have a cigarette in certain situations, such as at a party, would be excellent to hear from. The main criterion is that the person has smoked at least 100 cigarettes in their lifetime.

The survey takes 15 to 20 minutes to complete and is totally
anonymous. Results will be posted in November 2005.

Please help us support quitting smokers better by furthering our
understanding of the quitting process. The website is :

http://www.clearwater.com.au/smokingsurvey/

I really appreciate your help in this!

Many thanks,

Francesca
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 9:53 PM    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Has anyone checked this out?

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Imagen27

Quit Date:
July 12, 2005

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 11:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it if I were you... May have a wormie attatched to it and as soon as you hit submit, BAM, everything is gone..

(No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, lmao, I am cautious) Wink

Imagen-29 (The ever so "flexible willow")
3 wonderful girls, 12, 10 and 3

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 5:22 AM    Post subject: Wormies? No, just research. Reply with quote

Hi again,

I'm really not sure what I can say to convince you that there's no wormies or other gotchas in my survey. It's just a bunch of questions about smoking and quitting. We don't even ask any personal information questions. I really am a University student trying to find out more about how to help smokers quit. I'm not even sure how a website could invade your computer, but then I am a bit naive about these things.

I have a personal interest in this research. I used to smoke and quit a long time ago. Also, I lost my father to emphysema because he tried many times and couldn't quit. This led me to trying to help others quit, but as you know, it's not as simple as just not smoking.

If you would like to email me directly, I can answer any questions you might have about it. Would that help? Here's my email address:
francesca@clearwater.com.au

All the best,

Francesca
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 10:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

francesca,

as you did not join this group in order to offer or receive support, but solely to advertise your research project, you are in direct violation of the terms of use that you explicitly agreed to by clicking the link that says "i agree to these terms, etc." on the registration form. since those terms specifically prohibit advertising or solicitation of any kind, the ethical thing to have done would have been to decline to agree to them and ask me if i would be willing to post this announcement for you. if you had asked, i probably would have done so.

that being the case, i'm going to leave this announcement here for the time being, but am revoking your membership.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 8:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the website to check out the survey.

This is what I found......An introduction to the survey.

There was a logo for the univerasity....but no link beyond the logo to access the university website. You must agree to terms before entering the survey....which states that your privacy is protected, but at the same time the introduction states that if you lose connection while doing the survey, that every effort would be made to continue the survey. This sent up a red flag....if they aren't tracking you then how can it, the survey, be recovered if lost during it? Also, a red flag was sent up to me because there isn't a link to the university itself anywhere on the page.

My thought: Better save than sorry. I didn't participate in the the survey.

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Imagen27

Quit Date:
July 12, 2005

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 10:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, Good choice Deb..

~Im

Imagen-29 (The ever so "flexible willow")
3 wonderful girls, 12, 10 and 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: