quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selma b

Quit Date:
February 14, 2011

PostPosted: February 16, 2011 4:24 PM    Post subject: question Reply with quote

Does anyone who recently quit have a need to sigh all the time? I am yawning and sighing and I have to take deep breaths all day long. I can't remember if this was the case last time I quit.
Just curious

Thanks
Selma
PMac

Quit Date:
January 3, 2011

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 12:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband quit three months before me and he has been taking what he calls an extra breath and does do some sighing and yawning.
He also had heart surgery so I can't be sure it is just from quitting.
I however have found that frequently I need to take an extra deep breath and yes...for the first three weeks I was so sleepy that I was yawning all the time.
Perhaps our lungs are adjusting to more oxygen being available.
Taking good deep breaths seems like a good thing though Selma and not something to worry about.
I remember reading that deep breathing helps a craving to pass
Hope you are doing well.
I am making it through the days but am really hoping that I will start to get happy very soon. This sadness/depression plus winter and cold is starting to wear on me.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 10:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you're both doing a fantastic job of dealing with all the changes you're encountering. Be grateful for the added oxygen entering your lungs. That has to be ver healing after the years of breathing in cigarette smoke.

Just know we're all here with you. Hang in there. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
selma b

Quit Date:
February 14, 2011

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 10:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. Thanks PMac for the response. I was just curious since I have to take this deep breath like every 15 min....
My daughter told me this morning that my lungs are just saying: "Finally - fresh air! Give me more!" Where before, when they would get smoke they said - "No thank you." I thought that was probably right. Funny but right.
I am with you on the combination of weather and not smoking. I don’t like to go out when is cold and in Chicago we get a lot of that so I used to just sit inside, watch TV or do some of my crafts and smoke. So it is not easy. But I have to believe that it will get easier. I know it will. I was there one time. I just can’t remember exactly when it gets easier.
Just hang in there. Really just make decision for today.
You know, lately I have been thinking a lot about smoking (duh.. everybody who quits does it!) and I think somewhere deep down I am actually afraid that I will finally succeed in quitting. It scares me that I will never have that pleasure again. And, as I was fighting the urge this morning, I tried to analyze what exactly I was missing. The smell? The taste? Waste of money? There is really nothing in that “pleasure” that is actually pleasant. It is just this darn addiction that makes it look nice. So easy to forget bad part and only remember the nice parts. Of which, there are actually - none.
Sorry about ranting… It is only my 5th day. Forgive me. Embarassed
Hang in there!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 11:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selma, while you're missing the "pleasure," your body is rejoicing in this new-found clean air. Just know that life without cigarettes is wonderful. No more checking ashtrays to be sure you've put them out; no more worrying that you're going to have to stop at the store to spend yet more money on Laughing Demon , no more smelling like dead smoke, etc., etc., etc.

Being a non-smoker is so pleasurable and rewarding. You're going to wonder why you didn't take this step a long time ago.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
selma b

Quit Date:
February 14, 2011

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 11:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jo. I hope so too. I know it gets better and easier, just hard to wait. But not much I can do about that. Have to be patient. Maybe next time I start thinking about that one puff, I will remember this day and how hard it was to quit.
PMac

Quit Date:
January 3, 2011

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 11:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of you today
Selma.
five days!! You are past that 72 hour thing...hang in there.
and thank-you Kannprint also for your supportive words.
Today was tough for me as I did two things that would usually invoke a smoking marathon.
I drove myself into town to do errands and I had a computer issue that took me about an hour to fix. Both these scenarios were new since my quit.
I am learning that I have to dis-associate behaviors with smoking. I was already thinking " dang nag it...I can't fix my computer without a smoke....I can't drive alone without a smoke"....but I did get through the day, did my errands, fixed the computer.
and I was thinking of you today and hoping your day went well also.
Is your husband quitting with you?
My husband had bypass surgery in October.
I quit because he did (his last smoke was morning of surgery) but he is three months ahead of me and so was able to talk me through my crazy thoughts.
I am just trying to adjust my attitude to thinking that I quit for myself and not just for my husband.
You know...I usually write much more succinctly but I can't seem to focus on proper grammar tonight. Just getting my thoughts out there ,
thanks

P.S. Not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread since I seem to have veered off topic from your original question Selma
selma b

Quit Date:
February 14, 2011

PostPosted: February 18, 2011 11:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh who cares. You can keep replaying or start new... Does not matter to me.
Glad to hear you made it through one more day.
Well, my husband quit 4 months ago. But I did not. So he started again. Not much, 2-3 cig a day. He promised me he will quit again as soon as he is sure that I am really quitting this time.
He somehow does it fairly easy. Well it looks that way to me Laughing

I am past 5 days.. So happy.

5days, 1hours & 33minutes
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: February 19, 2011 8:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, I was yawning all of the time. I was actually so tired I would sleep on the floor of my office over lunch. I know how gross that is, but it had to be done! It took a while before that passed for me. I tried to compensate with food. I would try to get a sugar boost or a caffeine high to get through the day. Exercise has been my best remedy. Give yourself some grace with the sighing and push through. The other side is so gratifying!

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: February 21, 2011 2:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gidget said, "The other side is so gratifying!" Just the other day I was thinking I can't believe that I once thought I could not live without a cigarette and how easy it has become to have smoke free days and count years quit! You will soon be so happy with yourself too. One day at a time! Congrats on making it this far!

Essie
4/14/04
brownbrown

Quit Date:
December 12, 2011

PostPosted: December 21, 2011 11:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: