quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ban on Smoking in Vehicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 27, 2005 12:37 AM    Post subject: Ban on Smoking in Vehicles Reply with quote

Very Happy While watching the news late tonight they were talking about legislature in NJ banning smoking while driving. The premise is that it is a distraction to driving like cell phones are and can cause accidents.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 27, 2005 9:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be interesting to see if they can actually make that stick; it's illegal for people to use cell phones (at least without headsets) in their cars here, too, but it doesn't seem to actually be stopping people from doing it...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 27, 2005 11:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, they have that cellphone law here, too, but people are minding the law. The thing is, it seems to be causing more accidents. Now many people are either running late or getting stuck in traffic, and need to let the other party know, via the cell phone, and now that they can't, people are driving so recklessly....speeding, running lights, racing around other cars, anything to get there on time...no way to notify anyone! It's maddening! Personally, I hate this law. And I never heard of an accident from using a cell phone.

I don't know about cigs. But seems to me as long as smokers are going to smoke, they may as well do it in their own cars....don't want freaked-out addicts taking chances in traffic all because of their addiction! On the other hand, it might help used car sales! Laughing No one will buy a car that someone else smoked in, and they never can clean that nasty odor out!

What I really wish is that it would be banned in restaurants and bars!!

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 27, 2005 11:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Kevin,

Yes it will be interesting if NJ can make the law stick. Way back before I even quit smoking though I had stopped smoking while driving on count of how bad my hacking and coughing would get on count of it.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: November 14, 2005 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

First they need to get the maniacs off the road, you know the road raged, tailgating, everyone is in their way angst filled drivers who populate our roads and highways.

Then go after the minor infractions like speeding, failing to yield, running red lights and stop signs.

Next, they can go after the big rigs, heavy equipment operators, and other special category vehicles that are illegal, have regulatory infractions and safety concerns.

I put smoking while driving in a lower category of risk than cellphone users and soccer moms with DVD watching children fussing in the backseat or women I observe that are doing their eye makeup and lipstick while driving on the interstate.

Just my observations!

Frankiet

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 14, 2005 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Frankie!

Sorry, but smoking in your own car is a personal choice....in my opinion! Look at it as government intrusion into one's own personal choice and space.

Like Frankie said...there are a host of other problems out there that need addressed.....believe me...Hubby sees more than his fair share of it on the road. I can't count the number of times a driver has cut in front of his rig only to slam on the brakes to cross lanes of traffic to an exit ramp or like. If that driver only realized that a rig cannot stop like a car. And it's not just cars that do it....other rigs too....it's all in the people behind the wheel. And they want to worry about someone smoking in their own car? Rolling Eyes Go figure!

And yeah, the nicotine withdraw part...oh I can see that now...well Frankie, be ready for even more road rage and in a hurry to have a smoke people on the interstate. Shocked

Hmmmm....looking at it like that....maybe we better pass on taking freight to NJ for safety reasons. Laughing

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: November 15, 2005 7:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie I agree with you whole heartedly!

Great answer to the post!

By the way, how ya doing?

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Garrocha

Quit Date:
October 7, 2005

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

They recently passed a rule that Dallas police officers could not smoke on the job OR on the way to or from their job while in uniform. They want to improve the image and standards of the force. Alot of people are stunned by this. I don't know how to react. I have always been on the side of "Its your right to smoke" but that is just my opinion. When I started my current job it was the first "non-smoking environment" I have ever worked in meaning that even in their work trucks, on the job representing the company, even on their property, the employee can't smoke. Everyday at 11am and 2:30pm I would walk off the property to go speed smoke my cigarettes. Pretty sick now that I look at it 40 days into my quit.
Anyway, just another topic to throw out for discussion. I think that the City of Dallas has the right to tell the officers they can't smoke in their uniforms but on the other hand I feel that they have a tough job and could die protecting us and if they smoke, they ought to be allowed that. Who am I to make that decision though. I just want me to not smoke any more. Wink
Greg

However hard the climb may prove to be, I am going over that mountain and I AM going to reach my goal.

QD: 10/07/05
www.ccbutt.com
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 3, 2005 4:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I personally know that when my husband smokes in my car and has to flip his cigarette ashes in the ash tray which is inbetween the seats, he'll swerve out of the lane. I do not let him drive my car for this reason.

Idea Perhaps if the automobile industry keeps in mind where a safe spot for the ash tray is, then I may think differently. Some automobile makers has started putting the radio controls, which is generally above the ashtray, on the steering column for safety measures. If the ash tray is just below the radio than would that not be as unsafe to fool with while driving also. Just a thought.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: August 15, 2006 3:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any distraction from driving can be potentially dangerous when driving. Unfortunately or should I say fortunately (cuz none of us are perfect) ... lack of common sense hasn't been outlawed yet. LOL!

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: